Search

How to check for ZE inventory?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 3:52 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
How to check for ZE inventory?

Hi everyone! UA flyer here; I'm a CO newbie. I'm looking to book a B fare on CO for later this month. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to check for ZE inventory (like checking for NF on united.com), on continental.com or somewhere else?

I think I know how to check for R inventory on CO.com using the "Reward Upgrade" checkbox, but ZE inventory is different from R, right?

Thanks!

ps. Sorry, I tried searching but couldn't find much. I couldn't use "ZE" as a search term because it's too short, so I just got a lot of threads about upgrades, and isses relating to upgrades.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I THINK (and sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong)...put in any routing, make sure you specify an M fare (or a YB, but as a 1K you're classified as a Plat, so M will suffice), and if there's ZE availability, a little U icon and a Platinum Elite Upgrade Fare will show up in the search results.

Think I'm starting to get the hang of this...
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I THINK (and sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong)...put in any routing, make sure you specify an M fare (or a YB, but as a 1K you're classified as a Plat, so M will suffice), and if there's ZE availability, a little U icon and a Platinum Elite Upgrade Fare will show up in the search results.

Think I'm starting to get the hang of this...
Oh really? I've seen the U thing, but I thought that only designated the fare as being upgradeable, and not that there were actually upgrade seats available. Maybe I was confused because UA.bomb only indicates upgrade eligibility when you select Upgrade-Miles-YB. Does CO.com actually confirm the availability of upgrade seats when you enter Y,B classes?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I asked this same question yesterday of my CO friends - they confirmed if you see the U/phrase, it's definitely available.

I booked a CO ticket a few days ago, M was the cheapest outbound, but no icon (thus no ZE/immediate UG space). Out of curiosity, I put in an M on a random Wednesday (figure slow travel day), the icon did show.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Are UA-1K's allowed instant upgrade through the Y/B/M system?
Or is that still for CO elites only?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are, yes
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
We are, yes
thats great! Obviously i havent followed the progress well.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snod08
thats great!
Well, apparently a lot of people would disagree with you there...
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well, apparently a lot of people would disagree with you there...
Oh I am sure they will. But, what can I do about CO changing policies?
Just have to live with it. (if I intend to continue to fly CO).
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Cool! THanks for the info, everyone! Also, a B fare is typically fully refundable (unless I open the fare rules and it says nonrefundable in there, right?)

I'm looking at a ~$900 B fare NYC-SJC, the fare rules say "fully refundable" before travel begins, and partially refundable for unused portion after travel begins. But CO.com also offers me an option to "buy up to a flexible fare!" for like $700 more or something. And I don't get why they'd offer that if my B fare is already refundable.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:16 am
Original Poster

thats great! Obviously i havent followed the progress well.
Thank for you for not saying something like this:

Originally Posted by chasbondy
These United filth have ruined the fun for Silvers
Old Dec 6, 2010, 2:20 am
Original Poster

OK! Booked, ticketed, and upgraded!

But it is showing something odd for elite qualification. It says:

Depart:
5:45 a.m.
Sun., Dec. 19, 2010
New York, NY (LGA - LaGuardia) Arrive:
8:40 a.m.
Sun., Dec. 19, 2010
Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) Flight Time:
3 hr 55 mn OnePass Miles/
Elite Qualification*:
1,416 /100%
Flight: CO633
Aircraft: Boeing 737-700
Fare Class: First (ZE)
Meal: Breakfast
No Special Meal Offered.

Shouldn't it be 150%? It's a B fare, and when I was booking, it said Elite Qualification 150%. But now when I manage reservations, it says 100%. Is this a glitch? I am crediting to UA. Will I get 150% for sure?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Thank for you for not saying something like this:
^

Cool! THanks for the info, everyone! Also, a B fare is typically fully refundable (unless I open the fare rules and it says nonrefundable in there, right?)

I'm looking at a ~$900 B fare NYC-SJC, the fare rules say "fully refundable" before travel begins, and partially refundable for unused portion after travel begins. But CO.com also offers me an option to "buy up to a flexible fare!" for like $700 more or something. And I don't get why they'd offer that if my B fare is already refundable.
B-fares have various flavors. Some refundable, some not, some with a change fee, some not, etc.
WHat you are getting offered is most likely a buy up to a Y-fare, which is fully refundable and changeable at any moment until the flight doors are closed before taxi for take-off.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:51 am

OK! Booked, ticketed, and upgraded!

Shouldn't it be 150%? It's a B fare, and when I was booking, it said Elite Qualification 150%. But now when I manage reservations, it says 100%. Is this a glitch? I am crediting to UA. Will I get 150% for sure?
Congrats on the instant upgrade. AT least this shows that the system works as it should for UA elites (if upgrade buckets are available).

Yes, the 100% is a glitch. Its well known. You will get the EQM's you paid for.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

WHat you are getting offered is most likely a buy up to a Y-fare, which is fully refundable and changeable at any moment until the flight doors are closed before taxi for take-off.
Actually, most Y fares and refundable B fares are refundable at any time, even after the flight departs. The offered buy-up to an "flexible fare" is, yes, likely to a Y fare, but it does not offer the OP anything that refundable B fare doesn't also offer, except maybe the ability to take advantage of the elite guaranteed reservation (on sold-out flights) benefit. It really shouldn't be offered, but I guess CO is desperate...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.