Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying 'Food for Purchase' in first class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by channa
Depends on your perspective, really. When UA and DL had specialty drinks, they were comped in F. US still does, and they're comped in F.
I will admit that it is strange that CO is charging for the mix in FC while other airlines have offered the mix for free in the past (like DL) and some even presently (like US) offer the mix for free in FC.

I have always maintained that I would love to be a fly on the wall when these types of decisions are made to better understand how the decision makers perceive their decisions visa vi things like charging for specialty drink mix in FC, etc.

Another anomaly (though not related to CO directly) WN gives out drink coupons for certain occasions like earning a RR redemption, buying a Business Select ticket or your Bday.

These coupons are only valid for alcohol and not for the Low Carb Monster Energy drink. Even though I have a drink coupon I cannot use a drink coupon for the less expensive Monster Energy drink.

Dan
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You're missing the point. You had attempted to trivialize the $3 F drink charge, and I said it's just a straw. Everyone has their own set of straws (some of us more than others). Obviously it's up to the individual to make their own decisions based on their experiences and knowledge of other options out there.
I think I hit the point exactly, ant the last line of your post here seems to confirm that.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:59 am

I guess this is one of Jeff's changes that he thinks we'll like.
I have to laugh when people assume that the head of the world's largest airline is the sole decision maker on things like this.

Don't worry channa, you don't have to respond because we already know what you haven't already said at least a million times before. We get it.

And like the other 5 posters who whine endlessly on this site, please continue with your self-flagellation and martyrdom. The more noise you create the less relevant you become.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by airzim
I have to laugh when people assume that the head of the world's largest airline is the sole decision maker on things like this.

Don't worry channa, you don't have to respond because we already know what you haven't already said at least a million times before. We get it.

And like the other 5 posters who whine endlessly on this site, please continue with your self-flagellation and martyrdom. The more noise you create the less relevant you become.
While I agree that Mr. Smisek is not making all the decisions personally, I generally believe that he is the public figure of the company and thus he represents the people who do make these decisions.

Dan

P.S. I really wished that CO stayed CO...but that ship has sailed.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by dan1431
I will admit that it is strange that CO is charging for the mix in FC while other airlines have offered the mix for free in the past (like DL) and some even presently (like US) offer the mix for free in FC.

Dan
Don't give Doug Parker any ideas. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten wind of this and started charging in F as well.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by entropy
Like channa, I would use the drink chits for premium champagne (Tattinger, Vueve, Moet..), and I valued and enjoyed those drinks. Bud Light not so much, I would rather have 1 glass of premium champagne than 6 glasses of cheap beer.
So true.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by gj83
Don't give Doug Parker any ideas. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten wind of this and started charging in F as well.

Dan
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i've only tried the noodle salad and... i actually like it. it's tasty.

it's also four bucks. i guess it's kind of annoying on principle that they'd charge me for it in F... but at the end of the day i'm also not going to get in an argument over four bucks that i'm going to expense anyway.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
i've only tried the noodle salad and... i actually like it. it's tasty.

it's also four bucks. i guess it's kind of annoying on principle that they'd charge me for it in F... but at the end of the day i'm also not going to get in an argument over four bucks that i'm going to expense anyway.
So surely then this is a sad state of affairs if a 4 USD noodle salad is better than all the offering of first class. Then makes it questionable what it is worth paying for in FC if a 4 dollar food for purchase is rated more than a FC meal. I know there may be a choice issue but i suspect also the quality and offering of FC meals is an issue too.

I think this is a disadvantage to patients who pay for FC because it seems to me that CO is treating FC increasingly as an upgrade chamber for elites and they dont bother much about maintaining any form of a decent service since to them most patients are sitting there 'for free'.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by entropy
United allows F passengers to eat from the Y menu free of charge.
Not any more...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Global Services
Amex Plat

Given the new $200/year airline fee credit with the Amex Platinum card, I like the option of being able to purchase additional snacks/food when sitting in first class. I do worry that Continental has less incentive to improve first class food offerings if they see an increased trend towards purchasing.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA CO
Many reasons the airline does this, I imagine. First of all, there's an inventory of snack boxes that has to be accounted for. And, at what point would you make the box meal free? Maybe the person isn't hungry at that moment, but they will ask for a box that they would put in their carry-on bag to eat later. Of course, if you brought Ziploc bags, you could do the same with your regular meal, but are you really that cheap? There are free things on the plane (soft drinks, restroom usage), and there are things you have to pay for. Just because you're in F doesn't mean everything should be free.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
I nearly always choose the UA BOB sandwich package over the UA F lunch or dinner and, as late as last week, have never been charged. I wouldn't be surprised at a charge for a BOB in addition to the regular meal, however.
Last week I was in F and my traveling companion in Y, I asked for a BOB box for my travelling companion in Y and the FA cheerfully delivered free of charge. Though, I may have been lucky with a great crew who were selectively passing out biscof cookies and bag of chips to children as they were boarding. ^ to the UA IAD-TPA crew!
Old Dec 2, 2010, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
CO should do what AS does and allows the warm meal for sale in Y (after Y service is complete of course) available to F passengers free of charge. Its going to be thrown out anyways. I always loved getting the Angus cheeseburger (doesn't include lettuce, tomato & onion like CO) to supplement the F meal. AS does not however allow the snack boxes to go for free because they could be offered on future flights
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:52 pm

I guess this is one of Jeff's changes that he thinks we'll like.
Why fly UA, USAIR, or CO? I don't anymore.

Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.