Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 1Ks Jumping the EUA Queue?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by channa
UA metal flights don't offer Y/B/M-Ups. CO metal flights do.
I think an equivalent concept is CR1 (or CRUs as United refers to them). CO elites use YB(M)-ups to confirm an upgrade outside the EUA-window without using miles; UA 1Ks use CR1s to confirm an upgrade outside the UDU-window without using miles.

Advantages of the CO system: any elite can do it with no limitation on the number of times that you can do so (for YB/plats for M), except for how much you're willing to pay for the premium.
Advantages of the UA system: if you're a 1K, it's limited to fellow 1Ks, so there's slightly less competition ahead of time, and you don't have to pay for a higher fare to be able to use them.
Disadvantages of the CO system: more expensive, no waitlisting, potentially more competition for the upgrade, I also assume if you've assembled an end-on-end fare where some segments are YBM and some segments are not, it only works for the YBM segments.
Disadvantages of the UA system: limited number of instruments, not really applicable to lower-level elites.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Agree, but with an already unfavorable upgrade policy both on CO and UA, this just makes it all worse for CO elites. For all I care, UA elites are having it better on CO - favorable position on upgrade queue plus YBM UPs - so I just hope they would be more appreciative about it and not go on those "GS/1K should get upgraded ahead of Plats" in 2011 argument or complain how they get nothing in Y on CO...
As a 1K, I can't agree with this one bit. We have little to gain from this entire merger. And as a current CO Plat (and having been one for several years), I have experience on both sides. Nearly every aspect of the business is more pleasant for me as a customer on the UA side as a UA Elite than it ever was as a CO Elite on the CO side -- whether it's upgrade rate, seat comfort, customer service, accommodation, on-time performance, or whatnot. And many whom I know who are Elites with both carriers feel much the same way.

Not to say CO doesn't have their strongpoints, they do. There's BF catering, and they don't have some of the procedural quirks that UA has (e.g., no mix/match on awards, paper VDB vouchers, etc.).

But overall, there's a lot in jeopardy for a 1K, and I think that's where a lot of the comments to which you refer are coming from.

Just look at the last round of program changes -- the "average" 1K is probably someone just a bit north of 100K miles. They lost four CR1s a year. Meanwhile, the "average" CO Plat is probably just north of 75K. They gained two CR1s a year. It's really a matter of perspective and what one is accustomed to. Of course one poster will likely be quick to point out that I don't have the data on what "average" is, but I think we have a good idea of what it is.

That said, any sort of perceived inequities are only short-term. "Mid-year" we'll have the faux levels -- Premier Exec 75K and Platinum 1K, which will presumably be treated equally across both carriers to address some of this. Think about the United 90K flyer who can't buy an M-Up at the moment because that's restricted to Plats and 1Ks, many of whom are Plats who flew just over 75K last year. Or think about that CO MM who has a spousal status match to Platinum because the MM is Platinum, flying UA for the first time, trumping some Premier Exec Million Miler who is lower in the ranks. Meanwhile that PremEx Million Miler's wife flies on CO with no status whatsoever and pays to check her bags.

There's lots of this stuff, from both sides, which will take time to work out.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think most rank-and-file members would be prefer to see the airlines and their programs remain separate and distinct for as long as possible until a complete, market-tested integration plan is developed and scheduled for implementation Jan 1 2012.
I disagree with this as well. Before they allowed reciprocal upgrades and E+, there was much b!tching and moaning on both sides. "Why can't I get E+ or given a shot at UDU? Why can't I get EUA or an Exit Row seat?"

This interim period was necessary to help calm things. Yes, it carries its other inequities as has been pointed out, but at the end of the day it's minor compared to how it would be if they were treating UA Elites on CO or CO Elites on UA with bare minimum *A perks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.