Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

16 Capcity and 8 Booked - 14 hours till flight...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold

I'm number 4 on the upgrade list and I'm OP Gold. Why am I not being upgraded right now?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by thebreezytraveler
I'm number 4 on the upgrade list and I'm OP Gold. Why am I not being upgraded right now?
Revenue management is waiting to see how many takers there will be for the buy-ups...at least they are paying cash while for you it would be a complete gimme...

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Flt # or O/D ?

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Have you paid your tens of dollars to upgrade?

Beyond that who knows -- the default answer is CO's holding back seats as they anticipate selling/upgrading for cash people into them and therefore are not clearing EUAs.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: Continental, United, AA
They are most likely trying to sell the seats via the buy-up program. EUA's are not so easy to come by anymore. You might want to buy-up yourself if you want the 'F' seat
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by J-FLyer
They are most likely trying to sell the seats via the buy-up program. EUA's are not so easy to come by anymore. You might want to buy-up yourself if you want the 'F' seat

Or phantom book a bunch of seats.

Not that I condone that, but I wonder if phantom bookings rise as people get increasingly frustrated with CO's antics with their "tens of dollars" upgrade program.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by channa
Or phantom book a bunch of seats.

Not that I condone that, but I wonder if phantom bookings rise as people get increasingly frustrated with CO's antics with their "tens of dollars" upgrade program.

What are phantom bookings?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rcom714
What are phantom bookings?

Phantom bookings = Making bogus refundable reservations in other names to hold inventory to ensure that inventory is not sold.

Like I said it's not something I advocate, but I can see how people might be more prone to do it with how aggressively CO us selling upgrades through its "Tens of Dollars" upgrade program.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Phantom bookings = Making bogus refundable reservations in other names to hold inventory to ensure that inventory is not sold.

Like I said it's not something I advocate, but I can see how people might be more prone to do it with how aggressively CO us selling upgrades through its "Tens of Dollars" upgrade program.
Please forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't phantom bookings show up as occupied seats on the website/pda?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Please forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't phantom bookings show up as occupied seats on the website/pda?

They would. The context of my response was about tactics one could use to get an F seat.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They would. The context of my response was about tactics one could use to get an F seat.
Gotcha.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
There are a number of reasons CO could hold back 8 out of 16 F seats until the end.

Generally, I am seeing CO release most seats held back at T-24 hours to solve the cheap buy ups. You haven't specified the flight/date/origination - but if there is weather or other potential delays - CO might hold seats in case paid F passengers miss a flight and need to be reaccommodated.

It is easier to release them at gate time then not enough F seats.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When there are no F seats to buy at the last minute it is CO screwing up because they gave away all the seats for EUAs too early. When the EUAs are held back until hours before departure it is CO screwing up because they are trying to sell the F seats.

Pick one side of the argument and stick with it.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
When there are no F seats to buy at the last minute it is CO screwing up because they gave away all the seats for EUAs too early. When the EUAs are held back until hours before departure it is CO screwing up because they are trying to sell the F seats.

Pick one side of the argument and stick with it.
What side are you on?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
What side are you on?
Whichever one gets me the EUA.

I don't care when it clears as long as it does. Five days or five minutes prior to departure is the same thing to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.