Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Presidential Platinum 6-day Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Any Presidential Platinum 6-day Upgrades?

I hit PPE about a month ago, primarily from TATL business flights. I had to work at it to get a couple of round trips to CO, once connecting EWR-MAN-FRA and once FRA-MAD-EWR to get the CO business fare less than the LH direct fare. So, I feel like I helped "earn" the status. Two domestic round trips right about the time of hitting PPE, and I know I was not upgraded at the T-6 day mark, but I chalked that up to me just not being in the "system" yet.

However, this week, it looked like a slam dunk for at least one T-6 day upgrade.

On Monday, CO 411 EWR - IAH had 12 open F seats (out of 16 total) at T-7 and T-6 days. No upgrade at T-6. At T-5 days still 12. At T-4 days down to 11. Saving space, at T-24 hours, 11 people were upgraded, including me.

Returning Thursday on CO 510 IAH - EWR had 7 open F seats (out of 8 total) at T-7 and T-6 days. No upgrade at T-6. At T-5 to T-2 days, still 7. Once again, at T-24 hours, 7 people were upgraded, including me, and the flight left with all 8 seats filled with upgraders!

I thought the upgrade window was supposed to open at T-6 days, then close again before T-5 days to give PPEs upgrades? Obviously, the T-6 upgrade window did not open on either flight.

Have any PPEs had success at the T-6 day upgrade? If so, what route? Is there any hope, or is this an empty promise (or possibly pure FT conjecture)? Or Iis this a case of not releasing any hub to hub upgrades until T-24 hours PPE or not?

Note that I did get both upgrades, but with the smaller planes, I figured all Platinums were upgraded and maybe even a gold or two. I'm simply focusing on the T-6 issue, not whether or not I did get finally upgraded. Additionally, for all you who might spend some of your own money to make PPE, you may want to see what the results are from the coveted T-6 day upgrade window before doing so. I know that I had already made up my mind to spend up to $1000 on a "revenue run" to get to PPE if it would have been necessary. From all the talk, I really thought this status would be getting the T-6 day upgrades. I am already glad that I did not have to spend any extra out of pocket money.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
The EUA sweeps are dynamic. As a PPlat, you will be on the sweeps from T-6 days through to time of departure of the flight.
The EUA can clear any time...will only clear whenever revenue management decides to release seats to EUA.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by buddlakecoflyer
I thought the upgrade window was supposed to open at T-6 days, then close again before T-5 days to give PPEs upgrades? Obviously, the T-6 upgrade window did not open on either flight.
Relaxed T-6 EUA has only been my speculation. If it does get implemented, it will take a while for CO/UA to program. Changes take a long time to implement. You should be at the top of the upgrade list - so keep checking seat maps at EUA time.

Also check number of "R" bucket seats an hour or two before EUA time. Do that by checking for mileage upgrades and repeat as you increase the number of passengers.

If you do not get an upgrade by the time you check in - watch the pda site and verify that you are at the top or close to it. I suspect in this case you will get upgraded.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Rev Man Well Secured

Is it true that the rev man folks are under the witness protection program
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I got upgraded at T-6 on both legs of IAH-RSW. Granted it was a weekend -- IAH-RSW today at 1:39 pm and back Sunday morning at 6 am.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Your example is a hub-to-hub route. I would expect CO to hold out on these upgrades until the last minute in hoping for additional revenue.

I'm sure on other routes you would be upgraded at the 6 day mark. But, who cares which day you get upgraded as long as you get it?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I got a T-6 upgrade on TPA-EWR on my back back up from Key West. This was the second day the PrezPlat upgrades went into effect.

Otherwise, I think I have had only one opportunity to fly Y where I would have been eligible and didn't get the upgrade at all on a 5pm, middle-of-the-week ORD-EWR. I usually just buy F or M/B/Y-up, but I travel mostly on business, so It's not outta my pocket

So yeah, the T-6 *could* work, assuming the revenue demons release it.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:57 am

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
I just got notification of my first upgrade since hitting PPlat. Came 5 minutes after T-6d.

You've been upgraded from New York, NY (LGA - LaGuardia) to Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) on Fri., Nov. 19, 2010.
Granted, it's the 5:45AM CO633, which I expected to upgrade, since it's almost empty. The true test will be my return trip on CO232 that Sunday. It leaves at a much more reasonable 9:35AM, and is filling quickly.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
I've been on a bit of a drought for advance upgrades, ever since I hit PPlat.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO PP, AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DIA
Originally Posted by st530
I got upgraded at T-6 on both legs of IAH-RSW. Granted it was a weekend -- IAH-RSW today at 1:39 pm and back Sunday morning at 6 am.
Ive only received T-6 upgrades on Saturday travel. Never on Sunday or weekday travel. Weve just started purchasing tickets 7 days or more in advance. Our previous ticket purchases were same day or day before departure.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO PP, AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DIA
Originally Posted by st530
Ive only received T-6 upgrades on Saturday travel. Never on Sunday or weekday travel. We just started purchasing tickets 7 days or more in advance. Our previous ticket purchases were same day or day before departure.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by marklyon
The true test will be my return trip on CO232 that Sunday. It leaves at a much more reasonable 9:35AM, and is filling quickly.
This upgrade didn't happen at T-6d. Oh well. Looks very full now.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
There has to be R availability for EUA to clear. Just because you see open seats on the seat map doesn't mean anyone will be upgraded.

The easiest way to see R availability, (that I know of) is to view your reservation, click on "upgrade reservation", there you will see how many seats are currently available in "R". Even if it says "0" today, it may change tomorrow.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:06 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

My first time flying on CO after receiving a status match... Not too thrilled with how the EUA system runs here, and it seems like it is a hit or miss type of system. Over at AS upgrades clear exactly at T-120 hours before departure and the only time AS will not release U [same as CO R] space is if Y is booked full or there are 2 or 3 F seats left in first class.

T-38 hours now for me and R space has not been released, but the number of F seats is being reduced slowly since T-72, and there was one aircraft swap that resulted in four less F seats...

@ T-72 LAX-IAH had 5 F seats for sale, now 3... IAH-BWI had 9 F seats for sale, now 5 due to equipment swap.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
There has to be R availability for EUA to clear. Just because you see open seats on the seat map doesn't mean anyone will be upgraded.

The easiest way to see R availability, (that I know of) is to view your reservation, click on "upgrade reservation", there you will see how many seats are currently available in "R". Even if it says "0" today, it may change tomorrow.
Yeah, there was R availability up until a few hours before T-6d. I had the option of clicking the "upgrade" button. Just before the EUA run, the upgrade option disappeared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.