Wiki Posts
Search

Expert Flyer Users

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline FF: UA 1K, DL, US, AA, NW,
Expert Flyer Users

I was looking at the Expert Flyer's website. When you review the airlines that you can get reward booking info - it does not include Continental.

United is listed but not Continental.

I was thinking of a trial during my upcoming trip to track how the Businessfirst Upgrade bucket opens and how quickly (or at all) ExpertFlyer would send an email/alert.

My flight awaiting upgrade is 12 Nov TLV-EWR 11:15am

Question - Does Expertflyer allow tracking/notification of this fare basis? What impact will there likely be from the merger into United?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:37 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Yes, EF does allow an auto email based on fare basis. The catch is that for awards you must make sure EF works with the airline you want to monitor (in the case of a CO award you'd be out of luck) and this can be quite useful for some partners (i.e. EK.)
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Yes, EF does allow an auto email based on fare basis. The catch is that for awards you must make sure EF works with the airline you want to monitor (in the case of a CO award you'd be out of luck) and this can be quite useful for some partners (i.e. EK.)
It's been my experience that the notification function is sketchy, at best. Out of 10 alerts, I might have gotten one - and that was way after the fact. I believe EF does periodic sweeps, not a real-time email when the event occurs. So it is possible it could get missed. Nice in theory though...
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:00 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
It's been my experience that the notification function is sketchy, at best. Out of 10 alerts, I might have gotten one - and that was way after the fact. I believe EF does periodic sweeps, not a real-time email when the event occurs. So it is possible it could get missed. Nice in theory though...
EF does go in sweeps but FWIW I've found they're EK info to be spot on.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by J.Edward
EF does go in sweeps but FWIW I've found they're EK info to be spot on.
Don't get me wrong - I love EF in every way except for that (no) Notification feature. It just doesn't work that well. EF is great for everything else though. Saved my butt more than a few times.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep in mind that often waitlists are cleared without the relevant inventory ever being publicly released. So there would be no way for ExpertFlyer to find the inventory and send out the notification. Nor would it matter, because any inventory that is made available is immediately assigned to those in the waitlist.

If you can waitlist for a reward, that will always be your best "notification." Unfortunately there are a lot of times you can't waitlist for an award, specifically for partner awards. In this case the EF notification is the next best thing. It's also often useful for monitoring paid inventory class, I've definitely used it to notify me when a cheaper booking class opens and I've saved a lot of money over the years.

For CO, it can be useful to set an alert for Z inventory if you're an elite on a B/M fare and can't confirm the upgrade at ticketing. 95%+ of the time when the Z inventory opens you'll be able to log on and confirm your upgrade. (I've never seen a case where Z>0 and you couldn't do the elite upgrade, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.) Outside of the EUA sweep, this is the ONLY semi-automated way I know of to get those types of upgrades.

Lastly, it's worth noting that while EF's methodology is, in fact, to do periodic sweeps, they do say that the frequency increases the closer to departure you get. They haven't released any more detail about their algorithm though (like the specific frequencies).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.