Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Question on BusinessFirst Upgrade TLV-EWR Waitlist'd

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airline FF: UA 1K, DL, US, AA, NW,

Got a question on my very strange PNR.

I've got a trip next week BOS-EWR-TLV and return.

I've upgraded the RT with miles/copay. The initial upgrade waitlisted both outbound and return.

The outbound cleared this am. The return has been waitlisted for TLV-EWR on 12 Nov 11:15am flight. Seat inventory (I know this isn't accurate for availability to upgrade) changed from 3 seats to 8 seats. And it's now at 8 seats. CO.com shows R availability for this flight now (it didn't previously). There are no Z fare bucket availability.

My PNR has three entries:
TLV-EWR - with seat in Coach
TLV-EWR - BusinessFirst waitlist

I'm wondering if the confusing/inaccurate PNR is blocking availability into the BusinessFirst via the waitlist upgrade?

Last edited by hhmorgan; Nov 4, 2010 at 10:39 pm Reason: Added no Z fare buckets comment
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:22 am

Programs: UA-Perma Plat, Hyatt-Sucks, HHonors - Dia., Marriott - Gold
If R availability is showing for your waitlisted flight, give them a call and ask why you haven't cleared the waitlist.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by GeoMedic
If R availability is showing for your waitlisted flight, give them a call and ask why you haven't cleared the waitlist.
Yes, if R is available, you can call and get the seat assigned immediately.
its a quirk of co.com where the waitlist does not clear automatically, and it pays to be vigilant.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Ok - Did Call But as Expected

There is R availability and revenue but no Z for upgrades.

Anyone use ExpertFlyer on Continental? I went to the site and it doesn't list Continental as an airline with access to reward coding.

I was thinking of subscribing for future alerts when award seats become available via the email alert feature.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
AFAIK, you need only R availability. You dont need Z availability. Try calling again.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:11 pm

TLV flights rarely clears until a few days out.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhmorgan
CO.com shows R availability for this flight now (it didn't previously).
If CO.com is allowing you to book a mileage upgrade on this segment, then there is R availability and you should call in to get the upgrade cleared. This is a known/reported issue with waitlists not clearing automatically sometimes, but they don't seem to be doing anything about it. Z inventory is irrelevant. It's unusual that there is R but no Z, but it happens.

My PNR has three entries:
TLV-EWR - with seat in Coach

I'm wondering if the confusing/inaccurate PNR is blocking availability into the BusinessFirst via the waitlist upgrade?
I don't think it is. I had a very confusing PNR with the same flights showing multiple times on continental.com for an itinerary where I requested to waitlist the upgrade online. I was worried, especially since the miles were never deducted, though I don't think the agents saw the confusing PNR in their internal system. Nevertheless, I called a couple of times before they deducted the miles. I think at that point the PNR was cleaned up, and then the mileage upgrade did clear a couple of days in advance, though I don't believe the clearing was held up by the funky PNR.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
As is the mantra on FT, hang up and call back. Good luck!
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Seems The Reward Availability Does Not Give Upgrade

I've checked again on the CO85 segment for 12 Nov.

You can reward book for EasyPass level online at CO.com for my entire itinerary. But my miles + copay upgrade will not clear.

I've called again and the agent says the Easypass level reward is not equivalent to the Ugrade. She she's the R availability but cannot process a BusinessFirst upgrade at this time.

Seem others are wrong about being able to equate Easypass Reward availability with Upgrade Miles/Copay availability.

Other's experience/comments?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've called again and the agent says the Easypass level reward is not equivalent to the Ugrade.
That is correct.

She she's the R availability but cannot process a BusinessFirst upgrade at this time.
That is incorrect, if there is in fact R inventory available. I think you may be confused about what exactly R inventory is. I just searched, and there is no upgrade availability (R class) on CO 85 (or 91) on November 12. I don't see any standard (SaverPass) BusinessFirst reward inventory on that date either, even signed in as a Platinum elite.

Seem others are wrong about being able to equate Easypass Reward availability with Upgrade Miles/Copay availability.
I've never seen anyone (credibly) equate Easypass Reward availability with Upgrade reward availability. I've never even seen anyone equate SaverPass Reward availability with Upgrade reward availability. So I don't think "others are wrong."

Last edited by ijgordon; Nov 5, 2010 at 11:14 pm
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:08 pm

I've checked again on the CO85 segment for 12 Nov.

You can reward book for EasyPass level online at CO.com for my entire itinerary. But my miles + copay upgrade will not clear.

I've called again and the agent says the Easypass level reward is not equivalent to the Ugrade. She she's the R availability but cannot process a BusinessFirst upgrade at this time.

Other's experience/comments?

Shouldn't it be saverpass availability? I'm in a similar situation. My EWR-TLV is showing easypass availability but my upgrade hasn't cleared yet. I'm still 2 weeks away.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by greendx
Shouldn't it be saverpass availability? I'm in a similar situation. My EWR-TLV is showing easypass availability but my upgrade hasn't cleared yet. I'm still 2 weeks away.
Actually even though my flight is 2 weeks away per CO.com there is only D and higher availability for sale now. Maybe I'll get even luckier than having my upgrade clear and take a VDB
Old Feb 19, 2011, 3:48 pm

Friends,

I'm in a similar frustrating situation. I'm departing EWR-TLV on Friday, Feb 25. Ticketed this thing way back on Jan 6 when only 3 seats in BF were booked. Upgrade got waitlisted and has been sitting like this ever since.

I called CO about 2 weeks ago and they said that my waitlist status looks fine, but based on this thread, I'm thinking I might need to call again, but wait times are like 30 min and half the time, the call gets disconnected while I'm waiting for an agent.

Can anyone advise how I can check online for R class inventory? This way I can check before I call in for the flight.

I'm beginning my journey at SFO and wondering if the SFO-EWR waitlist is blocking my ability to clear the EWR-TLV segment. Any thoughts?

I'm doing the 30k miles + $500 co-pay method. Return cleared immediately, but outbound is stuck and now it's getting close.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Friends,

I'm in a similar frustrating situation. I'm departing EWR-TLV on Friday, Feb 25. Ticketed this thing way back on Jan 6 when only 3 seats in BF were booked. Upgrade got waitlisted and has been sitting like this ever since.

I called CO about 2 weeks ago and they said that my waitlist status looks fine, but based on this thread, I'm thinking I might need to call again, but wait times are like 30 min and half the time, the call gets disconnected while I'm waiting for an agent.

Can anyone advise how I can check online for R class inventory? This way I can check before I call in for the flight.

I'm beginning my journey at SFO and wondering if the SFO-EWR waitlist is blocking my ability to clear the EWR-TLV segment. Any thoughts?

I'm doing the 30k miles + $500 co-pay method. Return cleared immediately, but outbound is stuck and now it's getting close.

To check for R space, do an advanced flight search from SFO-TLV on your date of travel and make sure to click the One Pass Upgrade box way at the bottom of the page. If the search returns "Upgrade not available on CO X" then that means there is no R available.

I assume you are a general member if you are waiting on hold for thirty minutes at a time. Remember that the waitlists are prioritized by status so that means you would be behind all Platinums, Golds, and Silvers who are waitlisted for an upgrade. So odds are, you are further down the list then you might suspect.

The only way the SFO to EWR flight would affect the EWR to TLV flight is if they both have the flight number and you have the flight booked as CO XX SFO-TLV (but I don't think CO markets a direct SFO-TLV but I could be wrong.)
Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Friends,

My advice to you is to relax.
1) Trust the system, I got worked up ad-nauseum more than once about upgrades in the past only to learn that the system works. FYI I have been upgraded after boarding twice last year (once in EWR, once in DEL) while people were swarming the podium.
2) CO will hold on to upgrades until the last minute if they beleive there is a chance to sell the seats. NRT, HKG and TLV are routes where they hold on to a large number of seats until boarding.
3) If you are on V or W fare (I think you are since you paid the $500 co pay) you are not likely to get upgraded until the last pre-flight cleanup even if BF is empty. That has no bearing on your chances for an upgrade if setas are available.

The other advice - Snag an exit row seat. There is always a chance that you will be trumped on the waiting list by a bunch of PEs who booked their seats at the last minute and had to use a higher fare.

Safe Travles and good luck with the upgrade
DLP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.