Wiki Posts
Search

Can someone explain this?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Can someone explain this?

I checked in a co-worker for her vacation cuz she was at a meeting. She used her husband miles to fly to AUA. I'm guessing her husband is elite, b/c she is not but when I went to check her in, It said elite access when I went to check her in yet it seemed to only be a few elite access.

1) It said elite access during online check-in. (even though she's not)
2) It already pre-assigned her an elite seat
3) But it wanted her to pay for ELR seats
4) It gave it 1 free bag
5) Her boarding pass said CO Silver and S* Gold (I couldn't figure this one out)
6) No upgrade listing

Can anyone explain why it said elite on boarding pass but only got certain elite features like seating section, but not free ELR and only one free bag not two. Also the whole saying she's silver with S* Gold when I don't understand.

Does CO rollover elite benefits, but only certain benefits if an elite uses miles or books a non elite a ticket?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Award tickets inherit the status of the account from which the miles were redeemed for various benefits. It is a "bug" that they aren't working too hard on fixing.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Award tickets inherit the status of the account from which the miles were redeemed for various benefits. It is a "bug" that they aren't working too hard on fixing.

That's surprising that this is not a priority. Since they're giving away ELR seats and waiving checked baggage charges, you would think that CO would want to recoup that potential revenue. Maybe that's why CO is so fixated on selling upgrades out from under its Elites -- to recoup the tens of dollars they're losing with this bug.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:37 am

Or maybe they actually care about their elites and are willing to extend them certain benefits on award seats for their family/friends. No reason to think that it is necessarily a negative, though I know that can be difficult sometimes. Oh, and if you read carefully you'll see that the ELR seats were being charged for in this particular case. And everyone gets one free bag to AUA. So those aspects of it are not "givaways" from CO. Much easier to keep the negative attitude if you do not bother paying attention to the actual facts, huh?

As for the "tens of dollars" schtick, glad to see there's a new mantra out there that, once again, doesn't really mean anything.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Nothing Changes

You 2 deserve each other
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Or maybe they actually care about their elites and are willing to extend them certain benefits on award seats for their family/friends.
In such a case, why not make it a published benefit and at least get credit for doing something customer-friendly.

David
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
In such a case, why not make it a published benefit and at least get credit for doing something customer-friendly.

David
Probably because it only applies inconsistently and they'd have to do work to ensure that it sticks every time just like they'd have to do work to ensure it wouldn't. Just letting it happen makes it a nice bonus when it works and no obligation when it doesn't.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Or maybe they actually care about their elites and are willing to extend them certain benefits on award seats for their family/friends. No reason to think that it is necessarily a negative, though I know that can be difficult sometimes. Oh, and if you read carefully you'll see that the ELR seats were being charged for in this particular case. And everyone gets one free bag to AUA. So those aspects of it are not "givaways" from CO. Much easier to keep the negative attitude if you do not bother paying attention to the actual facts, huh?
So you're saying that it would never give away a bag or extra legroom seat for free? I'm not sure about that. I've seen it preassign exit rows before for free. Heck, on my last CO trip, my companion was in F, and she was offered an ELR seat in Y for a fee. But that's a different bug.

Also, are we sure it would not have allowed the baggage waivers to the Plat level? I've seen that before as well.

Just because those symptoms didn't apply to the OP's ticket doesn't mean the overall bug to which you were referring doesn't have these issues. In fact, it's had them for a while, and I think you know that. But I didn't mean to get in the way of your attempt to distract from the underlying bug, even if you're well aware of its symptoms.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by channa
So you're saying that it would never give away a bag or extra legroom seat for free?
No, I was talking about this specific instance.

Also, are we sure it would not have allowed the baggage waivers to the Plat level? I've seen that before as well.
I've seen that, too. My cousin even got in to the PClub using an award seat I issued for him.

Just because those symptoms didn't apply to the OP's ticket doesn't mean the overall bug to which you were referring doesn't have these issues. In fact, it's had them for a while, and I think you know that. But I didn't mean to get in the way of your attempt to distract from the underlying bug, even if you're well aware of its symptoms.
I never said the bugs didn't apply generally, just in this specific case.

And I'm not trying to distract from the "bug" but pointing out that it actually isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, I've pointed out why the bug is a good thing for customers and for the company.

Last edited by sbm12; Oct 28, 2010 at 9:33 am
Old Oct 28, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: One Pass
So you're saying that it would never give away a bag or extra legroom seat for free? I'm not sure about that. I've seen it preassign exit rows before for free. Heck, on my last CO trip, my companion was in F, and she was offered an ELR seat in Y for a fee. But that's a different bug.

Not all ELR Seats are for sale on all markets. Some markets show in the Continental system as "E" seats, not the "J" or "T" seats which are the ELR seats for sale. Just a thought.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver
CM and P5, too!

This bug seems to carry over to the awards seats on Copa and Copa Airlines Colombia (FKA Aero Republica), too. I booked a few rewards for friends and they were all treated to priority seating and priority baggage handling. But what I did notice is that my OP number seems to stick to their reservations, which causes their reservations to be listed in my co.com itineraries. But I'm all for it. Nothing but the best for my guests!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.