Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

CO code share flight (on Virgin,VS) - mileage bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle

Hello,
I'm a Continental Presidential Platinum member and I get 100% bonus redeemable miles + 25% presidential plus bonus on redeemable miles.

I have the following itinerary:
IAH-MCO CO 786 - operated by CO (Fare basis: H)
MCO-LGW CO 9708 - operated by VS (Fare basis: M)

LGW-MCO CO 9707 - operated by VS (Fare basis: M)
MCO-IAH CO 1687 - operated by CO (Fare basis: B)

Questions:
1) Do you know if I get the 100% bonus on CO 9708 and 9707?
2) Do you know if I get the 25% bonus on CO 9708 and 9707?
3) Also...I really want to fly VS as I heard that from next year that code share may go away. Have you ever tried VS? I flew CO from IAH-AMS last month in Y and was very disappointed. So I want to try VS...even though it's a little bit longer.

What do you think? I have a non-stop from IAH-LHR by CO...but I don't like CO for international. Hence want to take VS but don't want to lose bonus miles...any suggestions?

Thanks
Suresh
Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

VS in Y is nothing to rave about. Very restrictive in carry-on luggage and not particularly great service or product in general. But they have a cool image so folks seem to like them.

As for the bonus miles, the answer is no. You do not receive any elite bonus miles for travel on VS. In fact, your CO elite status is worthless on VS. It means nothing. If you are in Y then you deal with the whY queues and the whY limits. No lounge access, no waivers, no perks. There are a few posts in the FAQ with more details about the VS relationship. At least your fare (M) is high enough to earn points on CO for the flights.

I wouldn't willingly submit myself to VS Y when there are other options available at a comparable price where I wouldn't have to worry about my backpack being weighed at check-in or the gate, among other things.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by surram
Hello,
I'm a Continental Presidential Platinum member and I get 100% bonus redeemable miles + 25% presidential plus bonus on redeemable miles.

I have the following itinerary:
IAH-MCO CO 786 - operated by CO (Fare basis: H)
MCO-LGW CO 9708 - operated by VS (Fare basis: M)

LGW-MCO CO 9707 - operated by VS (Fare basis: M)
MCO-IAH CO 1687 - operated by CO (Fare basis: B)

Questions:
1) Do you know if I get the 100% bonus on CO 9708 and 9707?
2) Do you know if I get the 25% bonus on CO 9708 and 9707?
3) Also...I really want to fly VS as I heard that from next year that code share may go away. Have you ever tried VS? I flew CO from IAH-AMS last month in Y and was very disappointed. So I want to try VS...even though it's a little bit longer.

What do you think? I have a non-stop from IAH-LHR by CO...but I don't like CO for international. Hence want to take VS but don't want to lose bonus miles...any suggestions?

Thanks
Suresh
I would definitely take the non-stop from IAH.

First, in my book, non-stop always trumps making a stop, and you are lucky to live in a place with a number of non-stops to London.

I agree with you that CO Y is pretty wretched, although I think sbm12 is right that VS's Y is nothing to write home about either.

Your choices non-stop from IAH to London include CO, and BA. BA's Y is, if anything, the worst of all of these.

On balance, I would pick CO. I'm sure you found the seat very cramped, but it's just as bad on both VS and BA (they both feature the knee-crushing 31" seat pitch).

At least on CO you have power at each row, which you will not get on either VS or BA in the standard economy section.

Everything else is more or less the same on VS or BA, so you might as well go non-stop, it's a shorter trip and less risk of delay or disruption.

Just make sure you have a top-notch chiropractor lined up at the other end when you arrive...

Bon voyage!
Old Oct 15, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler,WN,AA,UA
If you want a nonstop, as a Presidential Platinum CO would at least off extra legroom seats, lounge access, and bonus miles. A better option with a connection would be AC. I did this recently in Y and think their Y is better than the other Y options you were considering. IAH-YYZ is in a CRJ, but with extra legroom and excellent AVOD. As a *G, you can enjoy the nice Maple Leaf Club in YYZ. The YYZ-LHR Y segments offer better seats and legroom than CO, VS, or BA. Plus, you get your 100% bonus. Check it out.

-kennystwin
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Mil Miler, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, National Exec. Elite, Hertz Prez Circle
Not flying VS

Thanks for your insights...I'm so not taking the pain to fly longer - to take VS. Thanks once again!
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:37 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
If you're traveling with any bag over 6kg, even if it's only one and you'd normally bring it on board with you, VS will force you to check it if you're over their wight limit for carryons. If you normally travel with a small carry-on and a computer or other carry-on, you'll have to check the larger bag with VS and you may find yourself having to take things out of your smaller bag to keep the weight down.

That, plus the fact that the Skyteam lounge at LHR, which you'd have access to on the CO flight back home, is terrific would sway me to taking CO rather than VS.

Even if you're checking a bag regardless, you'll probably get it sooner on a CO flight due to Priority Baggage than you would on no-status VS.

Note that you would have something similar on AC, along with better Y seating. If you don't mind a stopover.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks NYC. That's a good thought. Are u sure about CO Plat Elite using a Skyteam lounge in LHR? I'm a Pres. Plat and have the Presidents Club card. How does Skyteam let me in?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks NYC. That's a good thought. Are u sure about CO Plat Elite using a Skyteam lounge in LHR? I'm a Pres. Plat and have the Presidents Club card. How does Skyteam let me in?
The Skyteam Lounge at LHR is the "contract lounge" for CO Presidents Club at LHR, at least for the time being.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

That's good. United's Red Carpet Club (RCC) is also in LHR...right? Can *G get in there with my CO itinerary from LHR-IAH?

If so is Skyteam lounge better than RCC? What are your thoughts please?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's good. United's Red Carpet Club (RCC) is also in LHR...right? Can *G get in there with my CO itinerary from LHR-IAH?

If so is Skyteam lounge better than RCC? What are your thoughts please?
I think the main issue is location. CO is still operating out of Terminal 4, which is where most of the SkyTeam carriers operate, while UA is in Terminal 1. I'm sure you're aware of the epic schlep between terminals at LHR...so if you're flying on CO, using the RCC wouldn't truly be practical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.