Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Status: When occurs, how long lasts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hardly any
Elite Status: When occurs, how long lasts

I did a search for information, but came up with 10's of hits only about buying status or otherwise obtaining it. If there is a specific thread I have missed, could someone direct me to it? Thanks kindly.

Herewith my questions: When does elite status begin? The day after I have reached the requisite number of EQM's? or at the beginning of the next calendar month? or at the beginning of the next calendar year?

Also: When does the elite status end? At the end of the calendar year during which the EQM's have been acquired? At the end of the following calendar year?

In general: Is it more advantageous to acquire elite status towards the end of a calendar year, in November or December, for example? Or towards the beginning of a calendar year, in February or March?

Again, thanks kindly.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Status begins when the miles post to your account. Status is for the remainder of the year in which you qualify plus one year and two months. So if you qualify in 2010 you get status for 2010, 2011, and Jan/Feb 2012.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Once you've earned the status it begins, but it does take a few days to kick in. It runs through the end of February of the program year. If you hit Silver Elite today, it runs through February of 2012.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hardly any
Thanks, both!

Bravo! I just knew the FT posters here would be one-up on this subject. Once again, thanks kindly.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
One thing to keep in mind. If you either become elite of jump up a status level and have other reservations booked on your account at the time, they might not reflect the new status. Your best bet to correct this is have your FF number removed and then re-added to the reservation.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Steve GadFly
One thing to keep in mind. If you either become elite of jump up a status level and have other reservations booked on your account at the time, they might not reflect the new status. Your best bet to correct this is have your FF number removed and then re-added to the reservation.
Not to thread jack, but how would one go about removing and readding the FF number? Is it something that can be done on CO.com or would I need to call?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Status begins when the miles post to your account.
Not quite. The status officially takes effect the day after the event that puts you over the threshold. So if you have 24,980 EQMs and you fly 2 segments on Monday and 2 on Tuesday the second flight on Monday will credit with no status even though you got to 25K with the first flight. Beyond that, the flights on Tuesday won't actually have you on upgrade lists because the miles will not have posted yet. But you'll earn points based on having status since those should credit after the flights on Monday.
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Status is for the remainder of the year in which you qualify plus one year and two months. So if you qualify in 2010 you get status for 2010, 2011, and Jan/Feb 2012.
Status if for the next program year as well as the remainder of the current one. The program year runs from March 1 to the end of February in the following year. Maybe a bit pedantic but that's how CO defines it on the website.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by aki480
Not to thread jack, but how would one go about removing and readding the FF number? Is it something that can be done on CO.com or would I need to call?
You'd be best off calling. If you get an agent who says they can't do it, just say "thank you", hang up and call back again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.