Wiki Posts
Search

Question re-cut off EWR-TLV checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: co,fb,dl,aa
Question re-cut off EWR-TLV checkin?

I am thinking of taking a CO from EWR at 10:50 on Saturday night. The problem is I will not be able to get to the airport until 1 1/2 hours before departure. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this is wise. Will CO rebook me if I miss the flight? It is a United award ticket. My thinking is that security lines will be short at this hour and I can check-in online, but I will have to check baggage. Am I being overly optimistic?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is a hard limit of 60 minutes prior for checking bags. If you miss it CO technically doesn't have to do anything for you but they can and likely will let you go standby on either of the flights the next day. I wouldn't be worried about the TSA checkpoint at 9:30pm.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
There is a hard limit of 60 minutes prior for checking bags. If you miss it CO technically doesn't have to do anything for you but they can and likely will let you go standby on either of the flights the next day. I wouldn't be worried about the TSA checkpoint at 9:30pm.
not at all maybe cause Im a Plat but as long as I did OLCI Ive given them my bags even at 35 mins before departure time, and had no prblems remember by doing OLCI the passenger is Offically on the flight and the only outstanding question is whether the bags will make it (on Intl flights and the TLV flights included).

Now I had sits where all my bags made it and times only some of them, and CO delivered the ones that didnt make my flight to my Hotel when they arrived, which was Great with me and Id love it if they wouldnt have my bags most of the time. Now when flying Intl just make sure you dont have anything in the bags of value or taht you need right away. Also dont put in things that Customs over there wont allow you to take in, so dont have more Liqour or cigs then allowed as usually the bags are all xrayed and Bingo youd be hit for trying to smuggle
Old Sep 12, 2010, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Like I said, they don't have to take the bags but they can if they want to.

With 90 minutes I doubt there would be a problem but if the flight was oversold and they were looking for a reason to not IDB someone they'd have a pretty strong case to deny boarding with no comp required if you hadn't dropped your bags sufficiently early.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 4:20 pm

The security line is non existent during that time. As for check in bags, I usually give myself 1:30 before the flight and never had a problem.

Don't forget the secondary screening by the C138 gate, the signage is terrible, by the split to go to C138, take the right route not the left.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL PM
Originally Posted by njmama
I am thinking of taking a CO from EWR at 10:50 on Saturday night. The problem is I will not be able to get to the airport until 1 1/2 hours before departure. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this is wise. Will CO rebook me if I miss the flight? It is a United award ticket. My thinking is that security lines will be short at this hour and I can check-in online, but I will have to check baggage. Am I being overly optimistic?
I take flight 90 about 12-15 times a year and often get to check in about 90 minutes before the flight. There is usually no line to check-in (even at regular check in, not Elite Access) and only a short line at security. However, I know people who have not been allowed to check-in because they arrived 55 minutes before scheduled departure.

Please note that check-in for TLV is in the middle level of terminal C. I wouldn't want you to lose time by going to the wrong level.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Keep in mind that many people will be in the same situation as you (Yom Kippur). Not sure if this will affect you in any way though
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
*bump*

I'm flying this route in late December. Out Sat night and return (TLV-EWR) on Wed afternoon.

Is 90 minutes arrival at the airport a safe buffer both at EWR and TLV?

I'm *A Gold (AC) flying with a US passport if that makes any difference. Thank you!
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
*bump*

I'm flying this route in late December. Out Sat night and return (TLV-EWR) on Wed afternoon.

I'm *A Gold (AC) flying with a US passport if that makes any difference. Thank you!
90 minutes is the latest that I would get to the airport. Keep in mind that the EWRTLV flights are usually oversold, especially around the holidays and other vacation periods and not showing up early enough could result in your seat being given away to an Invol.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL PM
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
*bump*

If you check in online, 90 minutes is fine for EWR and is usually fine for TLV. It could be tight at TLV if you are flying during a peak travel time and are checking baggage. Security lines prior to check-in can be long at TLV during holiday season (even if you use the Business First security line).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.