Wiki Posts
Search

CO lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, HA, CA, AA,
CO lounge access

Does anyone know if I can use LH lounge at FRA with BF ticket? Have a 3hr layover in FRA. Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, you can.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ght=fra+lounge
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ght=FRA+Lounge

Tower Lounge is your best bet.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, HA, CA, AA,
Smile thank you

great news, good infomation.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass
I've a similar question to the original above - but with the added element of a stopover.

I'm flying International BusinessFirst from DUB to LAS with a stopover for a few days in New York.
Can I use the Presidents Club lounge in EWR on the EWR to LAS segment of this single BusinessFirst return flight ?
I know that I can access the PClub in both LAS and EWR on the LAS to DUB flight on the way home... but my question (to which I'm getting mixed answers) relates to the EWR to LAS segment which is in F as part of the single BF return itinerary that I've booked.
(I've read an old link on this forum which included updates from COInsider and others which mentioned that access is allowed on the "entire" trip regardless of class of the domestic segment as long as it is a BusinessFirst return flight and is all in a single PNR.

The CO.com online help form response that I've received this week however contradicts this and says that I do not have access on this domestic segment...

I'm hoping that either COInsider or some of you other experts can please help advise.

Thanks in advance.
(While this is my first post on FlyerTalk - I've been a long time browser of this great and helpful forum)
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by Someone2
I've a similar question to the original above - but with the added element of a stopover.

I'm flying International BusinessFirst from DUB to LAS with a stopover for a few days in New York.
Can I use the Presidents Club lounge in EWR on the EWR to LAS segment of this single BusinessFirst return flight ?
I know that I can access the PClub in both LAS and EWR on the LAS to DUB flight on the way home... but my question (to which I'm getting mixed answers) relates to the EWR to LAS segment which is in F as part of the single BF return itinerary that I've booked.
(I've read an old link on this forum which included updates from COInsider and others which mentioned that access is allowed on the "entire" trip regardless of class of the domestic segment as long as it is a BusinessFirst return flight and is all in a single PNR.

The CO.com online help form response that I've received this week however contradicts this and says that I do not have access on this domestic segment...

I'm hoping that either COInsider or some of you other experts can please help advise.

Thanks in advance.
(While this is my first post on FlyerTalk - I've been a long time browser of this great and helpful forum)
Unfortunately you will not get access to the Pclub after your stopover at EWR.

Also: Someone correct this if I am wrong: With respect to arrivals in the US, only Star Golds get access to lounges (if they have a domestic US connection that same day).
Just the fact that one is flying BF (without being a Star Gold) does not get arrivals lounge access in the US..
correct or wrong?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:32 pm

Someone2, Welcome to FT BTW!!!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by snod08
Unfortunately you will not get access to the Pclub after your stopover at EWR.
I believe this is correct. Although there are BF segments in the itinerary CO generally only gives benefits based on what you are checking in for that day. So you'd get the domestic F baggage allowance, not the BF allowance. Similarly you'd get the domestic F lounge access (which is to say none), not the BF access.

Also: Someone correct this if I am wrong: With respect to arrivals in the US, only Star Golds get access to lounges (if they have a domestic US connection that same day).
Just the fact that one is flying BF (without being a Star Gold) does not get arrivals lounge access in the US..
correct or wrong?
If you are flying BF you get access throughout your travels that day. Here are the qualifications lifeted straight from co.com:
  • Departing international BusinessFirst boarding pass
  • Domestic boarding pass connecting to a BusinessFirst itinerary
  • Arriving BusinessFirst boarding pass

Welcome to FlyerTalk Someone2!
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Hmmm. Interesting: I had previously (in response to the original question) posted a quote from the Star Alliance lounge access policy that might have answered Someone2's question as well, but my message appears to have been deleted without explanation. So let's try again... from

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

International Business Class Customers: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges.

* Customer must present a boarding card for the same day travel in international Business Class on a Star Alliance flight
* Customer must be departing from the local airport in International Business Class
* Customer is not entitled to any guests

Notice the "same day travel" condition for the international business class *A flight.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:42 pm

Thanks SBM12!

Somehow I got the wrong idea.

It was because, a few months back, there was a thread where a pax arrived in JFK in TATL business (from CPH I think) on a Star airline, but was connecting at EWR for the domestic part on the same day. Then, COInsider (i believe) said that it wont qualify for PClub access.

Do you remember that one?
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Hmmm. Interesting: I had previously (in response to the original question) posted a quote from the Star Alliance lounge access policy that might have answered Someone2's question as well, but my message appears to have been deleted without explanation. So let's try again... from

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

International Business Class Customers: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges.

* Customer must present a boarding card for the same day travel in international Business Class on a Star Alliance flight
* Customer must be departing from the local airport in International Business Class
* Customer is not entitled to any guests

Notice the "same day travel" condition for the international business class *A flight.
Ok, that explains my previous post where someone arriving at JFK will not get access at EWR on the same day for a connecting domestic itin.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
In this case the clause that requires one to be departing on an international flight in C is really much more restrictive.

Also keep in mind that the *A rules are the minimum that the airlines must adhere to. They can certainly be more generous and CO is on BF itineraries. UA is similarly generous, FWIW.
Ok, that explains my previous post where someone arriving at JFK will not get access at EWR on the same day for a connecting domestic itin.
Indeed, as they would not be arriving into JFK in BF. :-:
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:25 pm

Thanks all for the replies. Not exactly the answer I wanted however !!

In reading the rules (as posted above in#7 by SBM12)
"Departing international BusinessFirst boarding pass
Domestic boarding pass connecting to a BusinessFirst itinerary
Arriving BusinessFirst boarding pass "
this does not make reference to a "Same Day" arriving BusinessFirst boarding pass.

I had read that the *alliance rules did require a Same Day pass - so the absence of the words "same day" on the CO PC club access I thought (and hoped) might be the subtle difference that would give me the access.

The posts below (from an old FT post) led me to believe there might be a loophole with regard to a single PNR which was a BF itinerary.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-question.html
(Specifically post #13 by CO Insider which refers to an International BF customer "travelling on" an International flight - I'm presuming the extended reference to "connecting to" and "arriving from" related to same day travel, while "travelling on" related to the overall ticket purchased.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ents-club.html
(Specifically post #11 which referenced the entire itinerary)

In my personal opinion - By denying me access on the EWR to LAS segment, it would look like I'm losing out on facilities offered to BF customers just by availing of the "Free Stopover" that the specific ticket rules that I've booked under offered. i.e. I lose access to the lounge when if I didn't stopover I'd have been allowed access on.

A few years ago I did a similar stopover under an Economy ticket. This was when the baggage allowance was 2 pieces free on International and only 1 on Domestic. When flying EWR to LAS the check-in desk agent tried to charge me for the 2nd bag - however luckily I had an email from CO customer care who confirmed I was entitled, at that time, to 2 bags for the entire trip including that "domestic" segment i.e. the baggage allowance of the entire booking applied i.e. it was considered an International flight from start to finish. Using that theory - again I hoped that this BF flight would also be considered a single trip for the purpose of applying the various policies re baggage and PC lounge access.

While the above answers from you FT experts are more than likely as good as I'm going to get - it would be great to get CO Insiders definitive answer on the policy...
Any ideas how I could get that or do I just email Customer Care ?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:09 am

My previous post got lost in time... Thanks to the Moderator who found it and applied it.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:42 am

I know you are probably all fed up answering questions on "lounge access" in this forum... but does anyone have any further ideas or answers for me based on my post #12 above ?

Should I just give up and accept the inevitable that I have no Presidents Club access on the EWR to LAS route ??
Thanks,
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:21 pm

I know you are probably all fed up answering questions on "lounge access"

Thanks,

Should I just give up and accept the inevitable that I have no Presidents Club access on the EWR to LAS route ??
Thanks,
I would say, go without any expectations...and if they let you in PClub, you can then become extremely happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.