Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

IAH GA Shenanigans exposed on the spot - and the hilarity that ensues.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH GA Shenanigans exposed on the spot - and the hilarity that ensues.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by malbarda
Delta's mobile website will give you rankings for upgrades - I always check it on the way to the airport so I know where I stand. It will only show if you have checked in online.
and only within 24 hours of the flight. If you check in and your connecting flight is > 24 hours out, it won't show anything.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS; DL MM; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Avis First
Well, the upgrades for the girls held up...

Presently flying home from EWR in FC. (Although they missed the BF equipment I had on the same flight last week. Can't have everything...!!)

Haven't heard back from Scott yet. I suspect he's pretty busy these days.

Still out the 15k for the upgrade-that-didn't-happen.

Will update when I hear from Scott.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by channa
First was full, though you're in it.
Yeah, I always tried to look surprised at that answer, then patiently offer that I wasn't asking if first was full, I was asking if I was in first.

The Kindle is better, no human interaction required. And I have a Linux script that checks the pda site once a minute, and texts me any changes.

Originally Posted by glcarter
Still out the 15k for the upgrade-that-didn't-happen.
Yeah, I never ever ever get them back without asking. I hate to accuse CO of a scam, but they've got me wondering if this is deliberate.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Syzygies
And I have a Linux script that checks the pda site once a minute, and texts me any changes.
LOL. I wonder if CO's IT anticipated utilization like that.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
The root cause of the problem is that some CO gate agents have no problem with unethical behavior and falsification of company records.... and CO seems quite willing to wink and let it happen if a passenger does not confront them with undeniable data. In the company I work for (much, much larger than CO), either of these will get you fired on the first offense. These bad apple agents are willfully disregarding company upgrade policy in order to take care of their buddies and then closing out the flight knowing that the records do not reflect reality. I don't believe you can correct this without putting everybody on notice that they will be fired if caught and then actually do it a few times.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by sethb
NW had better consistency in showing upgrade lists than DL does, at least for my flights.
I was speaking specifically about the screens not the consistency or communication.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by malbarda
Delta's mobile website will give you rankings for upgrades - I always check it on the way to the airport so I know where I stand. It will only show if you have checked in online.
Yes I know, I was commenting on the screens, that are not at "one of DL biggest hubs".
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Flyer737
The root cause of the problem is that some CO gate agents have no problem with unethical behavior and falsification of company records.... and CO seems quite willing to wink and let it happen if a passenger does not confront them with undeniable data. In the company I work for (much, much larger than CO), either of these will get you fired on the first offense. These bad apple agents are willfully disregarding company upgrade policy in order to take care of their buddies and then closing out the flight knowing that the records do not reflect reality. I don't believe you can correct this without putting everybody on notice that they will be fired if caught and then actually do it a few times.
Game, set, match.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer737
and CO seems quite willing to wink and let it happen if a passenger does not confront them with undeniable data.
One of the more common -- and laughable -- misconceptions I see on this board.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:38 pm

If the OP was in Term C IAH Security at about 9am then I saw the OP =)...was busy running out of IAH to the Employee Store for CO/XE then back into C from E ugh.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pptp
One of the more common -- and laughable -- misconceptions I see on this board.
How so?

It's been going on for years, and if it's not reported via Scott, say it's reported via WE CARE, does anything get done about it? In many cases, WE CARE tries to talk you out of compensation rather than trying to refer or look into what really happened. So if there's no mechanism to reasonably report it, isn't that essentially turning a blind eye?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:58 am

How so?

It's been going on for years, and if it's not reported via Scott, say it's reported via WE CARE, does anything get done about it? In many cases, WE CARE tries to talk you out of compensation rather than trying to refer or look into what really happened. So if there's no mechanism to reasonably report it, isn't that essentially turning a blind eye?
I can only accurately speak for the FA group when I tell you that every little complaint, formally filed (web site or called in), makes it back to the FA and correction is applied, if needed.

With GA's, maybe it gets handled by a supervisor before reaching any higher. You really have no idea what is done about within the company. We Care isn't going to tell you about discipline and it IS their job to minimize loss on compensation payouts. The mere fact that stuff still happens, and will always happen, doesn't mean that CO condones it or turns a blind eye. It simply means that, with 45,000 employees, it's impossible to make sure each and every one of them is in 100% compliance with company rules. Even with the threat of severe discipline, people will still break the rules.

Heck, even the death penalty doesn't seem to be that strong of a deterrent. How many prisoners are on death row?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pptp
I can only accurately speak for the FA group when I tell you that every little complaint, formally filed (web site or called in), makes it back to the FA and correction is applied, if needed.

With GA's, maybe it gets handled by a supervisor before reaching any higher. You really have no idea what is done about within the company. We Care isn't going to tell you about discipline and it IS their job to minimize loss on compensation payouts. The mere fact that stuff still happens, and will always happen, doesn't mean that CO condones it or turns a blind eye. It simply means that, with 45,000 employees, it's impossible to make sure each and every one of them is in 100% compliance with company rules. Even with the threat of severe discipline, people will still break the rules.

You may be onto something with how the FA group is treated. I can tell you after some 7 years of being Plat, my FA-related feedback appears to be taken seriously (I've been called by direct supervisors with follow-up before). However, despite shenanigans reporting, never a follow-up whatsoever.

On those issues, WE CARE was focused on, as you say, minimizing compensation payouts and trying to convince me that my upgrade was "complimentary" so I was not entitled to anything. If that's what I'm hearing in one ear, it's very difficult to imagine that they're taking the concern seriously and doing something about it (especially when there's no follow-up saying at least thanks for reporting it).

On the topic of compensation payouts, I disagree that it's WE CARE's job to minimize those. It's their job to take customer concerns seriously and either address it or forward it on. Compensation payouts are to encourage future/repeat business so as not to lose a disserviced customer. There's little advantage to trivializing a customer's concern and further disservicing them.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:39 am

Probably should have said that their job is to find the perfect balance between minimizing payout while maximizing customer satisfaction.

I know that when We Care gets a complaint about a specific work group, it gets forwarded to that department and basically handed off. I'm going to guess that if it's an issue with refunds and such, they handle it within We Care. Might be the difference in how the two types of complaints are handled.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
On those issues, WE CARE was focused on, as you say, minimizing compensation payouts and trying to convince me that my upgrade was "complimentary" so I was not entitled to anything.
If the airline advertises upgrades based on status, and then fails to provide those upgrades due to shenanigans by gate agents, is it guilty of False Advertising/Fraud? (Its gain is getting many frequent travelers to buy tickets from it rather than a competitor.)

The first relevant opinion on that subject is that of a state's Attorney General (any state in which the airline has a presence will do). The second, if it gets that far, is the jury's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.