Wiki Posts
Search

OnePass Plus Card

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO, UA, F9
OnePass Plus Card

I tried searching for anything related to this and couldn't find anything. My appologies in advance if this has already been posted.

I applied for the OnePass World card back in February, and have been using it since. Yesterday I got a letter in the mail discussing the "OnePass Plus" card. Has anyone else gotten this? Any idea on how this is different than the World card? What I found most interesting was this: "Your newly designed OnePass Plus Card will be sent shortly as long as your account remains in good standing. When it arrives, please verify receipt by calling the number affixed to the front of the card."

It sounds like this is replacing the World card, as opposed to something new entirely. Is that right? Also, there was no mention of an annual fee in any of the material that was included. Anyone know what's going on here?
Old May 30, 2010, 3:56 pm
RNE

I called Chase and got the straight poop on this. Because of the airline merger, Chase is renaming the card from Presidential Plus to OnePass Plus. (Chase did not specifically confirm what I'm about to say, but one assumes Chase is removing the word "presidential" because Presidents Clubs won't be called that after the merger.)

In any case, no features of the card will be changing with this renaming/reissuing, however, it is known that "new" features—not necessarily associated with this renaming—are in the works. One interesting new feature is that cards will be "laser engraved" with the cardholder's signature prior to being sent to the cardholder. (This is a security feature which Chase may incorporate into other cards as well.)

One further assumes the Presidential Plus MasterCard and Mileage Plus Club Visa will merge into a common card with whatever new features are coming. This however, may have to wait until OnePass and Mileage Plus combine, and that, as my Chase banker told me, is not going to happen soon after merger. That is, Chase has been told OP and M+ will operate separately at least for a while.

Finally, Chase renaming/reissuing the PP card so long before possible regulatory approval, seems to indicate it is confident the merger will go through. ^
Old May 30, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Something about this doesn't add up for me. For one thing, if CO had instructed Chase to rebrand the cards, why wouldn't CO have updated their own promotional materials for the cards? (See here: https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...x?offer=PP75SC)

For another, we don't yet know what the name of the combined program will be. We know that there will be some concession to either side - the name OnePass Plus seems likely, since it incorporates names from both legacy programs, but you never know - they might just opt to keep one of the existing names and dump the other. Ditto the lounge name, although I should point out that there's no red in the new UA branding - so why would the RCC name be adopted?

The larger issue, tho, is that the merger is still at least 6 months from being finalized, and according to CO's own information, the unification of of FF programs won't happen until sometime in 2011. So knowing that, why would CO instruct Chase to rebrand the cards NOW without also rebranding the program?

For that matter, I haven't heard anything about Chase 'laser-engraving' signatures on their cards - I have both business & personal cards with Chase - so I'm dubious about this too. It strikes me as a huge security risk, since the only requirement of a merchant is to check the card for a valid signature - the card becomes infinitely more prone to fraud, since the 'signature on file' would always match the signature of an identity thief rather than the real person.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: Continental Platinum, Continental Presidential Plus, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, American Express Platinum
Question

Originally Posted by RNE
I called Chase and got the straight poop on this. Because of the airline merger, Chase is renaming the card from Presidential Plus to OnePass Plus. (Chase did not specifically confirm what I'm about to say, but one assumes Chase is removing the word "presidential" because Presidents Clubs won't be called that after the merger.)

In any case, no features of the card will be changing with this renaming/reissuing, however, it is known that "new" features—not necessarily associated with this renaming—are in the works. One interesting new feature is that cards will be "laser engraved" with the cardholder's signature prior to being sent to the cardholder. (This is a security feature which Chase may incorporate into other cards as well.)

One further assumes the Presidential Plus MasterCard and Mileage Plus Club Visa will merge into a common card with whatever new features are coming. This however, may have to wait until OnePass and Mileage Plus combine, and that, as my Chase banker told me, is not going to happen soon after merger. That is, Chase has been told OP and M+ will operate separately at least for a while.

Finally, Chase renaming/reissuing the PP card so long before possible regulatory approval, seems to indicate it is confident the merger will go through. ^
Who at Chase did you speak to? Was this all from your banker? Based on your post I just called Presidential Plus customer service and they did not say anything remotely similar to your post. Also I recently received a letter about my card but it didn't refer at all to a "OnePass Plus" card.
Old May 31, 2010, 7:30 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Critic
Something about this doesn't add up for me. For one thing, if CO had instructed Chase to rebrand the cards, why wouldn't CO have updated their own promotional materials for the cards?
Nothing in my post states or implies CO "instructed Chase to rebrand the cards."

For another, we don't yet know what the name of the combined program will be.
True. I merely speculated that Chase was renaming it to OnePass Plus (essentially dropping "presidential") to "neutralize" the card somewhat. Indeed, Chase may have advanced knowledge that the combined program will be called OnePass. That I don't know. Or the renaming could be a half step to something else. Again, I don't know. Nevertheless, I maintain this move this early is telling on Chase's part.

...the unification of of FF programs won't happen until sometime in 2011.
This is exactly what my banker at the Chase branch told me when I applied for a Chase checking account. Both programs would be maintained for a while after merger.

For that matter, I haven't heard anything about Chase 'laser-engraving' signatures on their cards.
Then please be so kind as to remember from whom you heard it first.

Originally Posted by 711
Who at Chase did you speak to? Was this all from your banker? Based on your post I just called Presidential Plus customer service and they did not say anything remotely similar to your post. Also I recently received a letter about my card but it didn't refer at all to a "OnePass Plus" card.
Like you, I recently received a letter from Chase in regard to this card, but it didn't mention the renaming either, just new stuff coming. I didn't think much of it until I saw this thread. I called the number on the back of my PP card. Your experience may not have been "remotely similar" because you didn't ask the rep the questions I did. They aren't spokespeople after all. The rep I talked to didn't volunteer a lot of information. I specifically asked about the renaming and why. She told me the card was being renamed because of the merger; she did, however, volunteer the laser signature thing.

I tried to be quite careful in my above post to separate what I was told from what I surmised. I think I did a pretty good job.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by RNE
Nothing in my post states or implies CO "instructed Chase to rebrand the cards."
Point taken, but since Continental owns the marks related to OnePass and the President's Club, I don't imagine that Chase could make changes to the branding on the card without CO's say-so.

Originally Posted by RNE
True. I merely speculated that Chase was renaming it to OnePass Plus (essentially dropping "presidential") to "neutralize" the card somewhat. Indeed, Chase may have advanced knowledge that the combined program will be called OnePass. That I don't know. Or the renaming could be a half step to something else. Again, I don't know. Nevertheless, I maintain this move this early is telling on Chase's part.
Fair enough, but again, if Chase were 'neutralizing' the name of the card, why would CO still be advertising it as the "Presidential Plus" card?

I'm not suggesting that your recollection was inaccurate, but generally lower-level bankers, branch managers and CSRs don't have insider information re: affinity credit card operations.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

The reason those of you with the Presidential Plus card didn't get this maybe because this seems to be replacing the World card. That's the card that I've got now. The benefits mentioned seem to line up with that card as well. Two passes to the Presodental Club each year, airfare discount coupons, etc. The only new benefit seemed to be a 10,000 mile bonus once you reach $25,000 of spend each year (which I may hit this year and next considering I'll be using this to pay vendors for my upcoming wedding).
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:33 am
RNE

Point taken, but since Continental owns the marks related to OnePass and the President's Club, I don't imagine that Chase could make changes to the branding on the card without CO's say-so.
I concur that Chase doesn't change a CO-affiliated card's name without consulting with CO beforehand. I'm simply saying that even if Chase got CO's say-so, that is different from CO instructing Chase to do so. This may seem a fine distinction, but I want to make it clear I was not stating CO initiated this change, because I don't know that to be the case.

Fair enough, but again, if Chase were 'neutralizing' the name of the card, why would CO still be advertising it as the "Presidential Plus" card?
I was only speculating about the neutralization. I'm sure CO will change its advertising when it's time to do so, or shortly thereafter.

I'm not suggesting that your recollection was inaccurate, but generally lower-level bankers, branch managers and CSRs don't have insider information re: affinity credit card operations.
No offense taken. I don't disagree with your assessment of the lack of authoritativeness of my sources, that's why I was careful to cite them, lest you think I was getting this from JPMorgan Chase's CEO or something.

Originally Posted by parsec
The reason those of you with the Presidential Plus card didn't get this maybe because this seems to be replacing the World card. That's the card that I've got now. The benefits mentioned seem to line up with that card as well. Two passes to the Presodental Club each year, airfare discount coupons, etc. The only new benefit seemed to be a 10,000 mile bonus once you reach $25,000 of spend each year (which I may hit this year and next considering I'll be using this to pay vendors for my upcoming wedding).
It's entirely possible Chase has changes in the works for all its cards; I don't know. The rep I spoke to about my Presidential Plus card was speaking to me about that card specifically.

Congrats on your upcoming wedding.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...34&offer=OPP25

It looks like the card is now available.

ELITE UPGRADES ON REWARD TICKETS: Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment. Get details.

Earn 25,000 bonus miles after your first purchase*. That’s enough for a round-trip reward.
Earn 10,000 bonus miles annually when you spend $25,000 on your card.
Earn two miles for every $1 spent when you purchase tickets from Continental Airlines using the card.*
Earn two miles for every $1 in purchases charged on the card.* bdraco: Is this a typo on continental.com?
Earn Twice the Miles* on all ShopOnePassTM purchases made with the card.
Redeem Miles for Car and Hotel Rewards exclusively as a cardmember. Miles can now be redeemed for more than just flights.*

MILEAGE SUMMARY:Mileage earnings and redemption are subject to the OnePass terms and conditions set forth in the OnePass Frequent Flyer section of continental.com. You will earn one additional OnePass mile for each $1 of Net Purchases made directly from a Continental Airlines ticketing facility or online at continental.com. (“Net Purchases” means purchases of goods and services made by you or any authorized user on your Account minus any returns or refunds.) As a one-time bonus each calendar year, once you reach $25,000 or more in Net Purchases on your OnePass Plus Card, you will receive 10,000 OnePass bonus miles. 2010 Net Purchases will be calculated from the later of June 1 or your 2010 account opening date, through December 31, 2010. Miles will be posted to your account 4-6 weeks after the billing cycle when you qualify for the bonus. OnePass mile accrual will begin upon the Enrollment Date in the Program. (“Enrollment Date” is the day on which we approve you as a Program member.) No retroactive OnePass miles will be awarded. You do not earn OnePass miles on balance transfers, cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks, foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that are used to access your Account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including fees for products that protect or insure the balances of your Account. OnePass miles will be deducted for any returns or credits made on your Account. OnePass miles will appear on your monthly statement. From time to time there may be promotional offers for the Program, which provide the opportunity to earn additional OnePass miles as defined by the terms of the promotion.

Last edited by bdraco; Jun 1, 2010 at 8:19 am
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RNE
I called Chase and got the straight poop on this. Because of the airline merger, Chase is renaming the card from Presidential Plus to OnePass Plus.
Of note is that on the co.com page the PPlus card still exists. It is the "normal" card that is being rebranded. Maybe it is time to call call your banker back and get some better poop??

Originally Posted by bdraco
ELITE UPGRADES ON REWARD TICKETS: Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment. Get details.
Anyone else excited/intrigued by this? (Yes, there is now another thread discussing it)
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:42 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12

Anyone else excited/intrigued by this? (Yes, there is now another thread discussing it)
Yes and no. Upgrades are already hard enough to get. Maybe this is reallyl just window dressing.

PS. On the PP card benefits, it now states that you get 1,000 Flex EQM per $5,000 in spend!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdraco
Earn two miles for every $1 in purchases charged on the card.* bdraco: Is this a typo on continental.com?
I'm not sure if it's a typo or not. I don't remember seeing anything like this in the material I was sent. I'll take another look when I get home.

If it is a typo it's a biggie, as there's nothing in the offer details that I can see that contradicts it. The only thing that even comes close is the language about earning miles on purchases at continental.com and such. Even then, all it says is "You will earn one additional OnePass mile for each $1 of Net Purchases made directly from a Continental Airlines ticketing facility or online at continental.com." Given the language further up the page, I would take this to mean you would earn two miles on every day purchases, and THREE miles on purchases through Continental.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:33 am
RNE

Originally Posted by sbm12
Of note is that on the co.com page the PPlus card still exists. It is the "normal" card that is being rebranded. Maybe it is time to call call your banker back and get some better poop??
Actually, my banker didn't have anything to say about the PP card. She's the one who told me OP and M+ would be separate for a while after the merger. It was the Chase rep who told me about "OnePass Plus," and stated the renaming was because of the merger. The rest remains to be seen. As for poop, you're right: it's only as good as the person pooping it. But, remember, I did tell you from whence the poop cameth.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Looks like the page has been modified today. It now states:
# Earn two miles for every $1 spent when you purchase tickets from Continental Airlines using the card.*
# Earn one mile for every $1 in purchases charged on the card.*
This is the same as what was offered before.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Upgrading to the new card

I currently have the Continental Airlines Mastercard, but not the "World" Mastercard. Does anyone know if Chase will let me upgrade my current card to the new Onepass Plus card?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.