Wiki Posts
Search

777 flatbed configuration

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum
Question 777 flatbed configuration

This being my first post, may I thank those who regularly contribute here for their valuable insights and information over the weeks that I have been reading FT.

There has been a public commitment for some time now from CO that all 777 flights from LHR will feature the new flatbed configuration from 1 June.

Recently when looking at the seat maps, it appears that outbound flights in June are shown with the old configuration, whilst inbound ones are shown with the new. I know that the maps are not to be fully trusted, but this is a notable recent difference.

The seat installation process section of co.com has not been updated for over a week (it has been changed weekly of late) and still only shows 10 out of 20 tail numbers having been converted.

The 'Tracking 777s with Flat Beds' thread on FT has not been as active as it was either.

Anyone have an insight into how realistic it is that all 777s touching LHR will have the new seats from next Tuesday ?
Old May 26, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
what flights are you on? You can tell by which 777 it is
Old May 26, 2010, 7:07 am

It'd be hard to know more than a day or two out exactly which plane will be on the route so I wouldn't trust the seat map until then.

Having said this, I haven't heard that CO won't meet the deadline they've set.
Old May 26, 2010, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UK1A
This being my first post, may I thank those who regularly contribute here for their valuable insights and information over the weeks that I have been reading FT.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
I know that the maps are not to be fully trusted
Certainly not more than a couple days out.

The seat installation process section of co.com has not been updated for over a week (it has been changed weekly of late) and still only shows 10 out of 20 tail numbers having been converted.
Since they are only upgrading 1-2 planes/month this should not be too surprising.

The 'Tracking 777s with Flat Beds' thread on FT has not been as active as it was either.
ibid.

Anyone have an insight into how realistic it is that all 777s touching LHR will have the new seats from next Tuesday ?
Very. I see no reason to believe that CO will not manage to deliver on that promise. They have enough planes fitted to make it happen.
Old May 28, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Premier Plat
EWR-DEL Flatbed?

Wow! After reading the above I am really hoping I get the flatbed for my outbound this monday on C0 82 EWR-DEL.

I would rather prefer continental guaranteeing these birds on the ultra long hauls than a quick hop into europe..Maybe someone can enlighten me on the reasoning or lack of behind this?...
Old May 28, 2010, 3:32 am

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
One Word: Competition

Originally Posted by SoBePrince
Wow! After reading the above I am really hoping I get the flatbed for my outbound this monday on C0 82 EWR-DEL.

I would rather prefer continental guaranteeing these birds on the ultra long hauls than a quick hop into europe..Maybe someone can enlighten me on the reasoning or lack of behind this?...
There is very limited competition on any of CO's ultra long haul routes (EWR-HKG? EWP-PVG? EWR-DEL?). Compare that to NYC-LON markets, where everyone and their dog is putting their best foot forward, and CO MUST have the flat bed product in place there to remain (regain?) competitive.
Old May 28, 2010, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum
While on the subject, how many 777s does CO have in the fleet ? The seat installation progress says 10/20 but when you click through to the tail numbers there are 25 ships listed.

All LHR-IAH traffic in the four day visible window is old configuration 772 or even 764. I guess they are promoting the flatbed ships on other routes until 6/1.
Old May 28, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum 1K, Hilton Honors Gold, Hertz 5 Circle
Just flew the 777 with lie flat seats last week. I got lucky and hit the hub to hub transfer both ways (EWR-IAH). The seats are awesome and the TV is huge with remote control I might add.

The seat config was showing the "old" 777 until it hit the 24 hour mark and then the lie-flat config was shown. I'm not not sure why it does this but you may not know for sure until you hit the 24 hour mark. Either way, have a great flight.
Old May 28, 2010, 7:45 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/4.1.249.1064 Safari/532.5)

Originally Posted by Legend717

There is very limited competition on any of CO's ultra long haul routes (EWR-HKG? EWP-PVG? EWR-DEL?). Compare that to NYC-LON markets, where everyone and their dog is putting their best foot forward, and CO MUST have the flat bed product in place there to remain (regain?) competitive.
Ditto. Plus, economics applies: it's the profitability on the route which matters most.
Old May 28, 2010, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Ditto. Plus, economics applies: it's the profitability on the route which matters most.
Yeah, those $1,600 BF fares do gangbusters for CO.
Old May 29, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Premier Plat
Originally Posted by CJ1120
It'd be hard to know more than a day or two out exactly which plane will be on the route so I wouldn't trust the seat map until then.

Having said this, I haven't heard that CO won't meet the deadline they've set.
I just checked the flight status & specs for C0 82 and the flat bed is showing only for Sat 05/29 and the regular recliner seat for my departure on 05/31.

Should I still be optmistic based on the response above that CO would not confirm planes until twenty four hours before the departure..??
Old May 29, 2010, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Should I still be optmistic based on the response above that CO would not confirm planes until twenty four hours before the departure..??
Not really, IMO. Once the aircraft is assigned - in this case you have a/c #7 on the 31st - it is less common for it to be switched.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I think it is very realistic that all LHR flights will have flat beds by June 1, unfortunately that makes the flat beds on other routes slightly less probable.

There is certainly a possibility that, for whatever reason, a flat bed a/c is swapped out for a non-flat bed A/C for a LHR flight during the conversion period, but I am sure that CO has a procedure in place to deal with such a situation and it will likely involve compensation to BF pax to make up for the failure to deliver an advertised benefit.

I wouldn't worry. The overwhelming odds are that CO will fufill its promise and be 100% flat to LHR by June 1 and continuing indefinitely. The competitive landscape demands it.
Old May 30, 2010, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
For eastbound flights 6/1:

34 - #017 flat bed
4 - #015 flat bed
28 - #003 flat bed
18 - #133 flat bed
112 - #128 flat bed
110 - #104 flat bed

100%. Good start.

Last edited by rkkwan; May 31, 2010 at 8:06 pm Reason: CO110 changed from #105 to #104.
Old May 31, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum
So I can assume for my HKG flight on the 24th of June, the chances of a new LF seat is less after June 1 than it was before?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.