Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United is good. It's going to be OK CO peeps.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United is good. It's going to be OK CO peeps.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
So you're saying that you booked the trip on the dates you wanted, on the carriers that you wanted, without having to compromise due to unavailability? ..
Can this be done on CO? (or any other carrier for that matter) Not in my experience...
Old May 7, 2010, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by sbm12
While this one is commonly cited as an "always" blocked route, I believe there are reports in the UA forum of people getting it from time to time.
And on top of it... I don't think that Air New Zealand is known for it's generous levels of standard award availability in C on long-haul transoceanic flights....
Old May 7, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Originally Posted by channa
I got exactly the dates, times, and flights I wanted for those trips. I have some more trips booked involving AC (J), TK (C), LH (C), and another LH (F). All with UA miles, all as desired. I've also flown on a number of UA awards on partners, most recently OZ (C), NH (C), LH (F), and AC (J). All booked as desired with UA miles.

I've encountered *net blocking, and it's impacted maybe 5% of my award needs, if that.

I think those not familiar with *net blocking may not really understand how it works.

UA doesn't wholesale block an entire carrier or route. It's a budgetary thing -- when the monthly/quarterly/etc. totals of outflows to a specific carrier start approaching or exceeding budget, they filter some of that carrier's flights for a period so that they reduce their outflows to that carrier.

That filtering may last a couple of days, a couple of weeks, or a couple of months. It may be on a significant number of that carrier's routes, or it may be on just a handful. You never know.

The vast majority of the time, the partner award you want will be available to you.

The term I use to describe it is "nuisance." It's annoying, it gets in the way on occasion, but it's not the end of the world. The notion that you can't use UA miles on partners, that's way off.
This is a very good summary of the *net blocking issue. It's actually not that common, applies only to certain route/date/time combos and only then when certain criteria are met at the carrier-carrier relationship level.

Unfortunately it's become the go-to target anytime someone can't get exactly the award they want.

IME it's much more common that the problem with getting the date-time-cabin one wants on a particular route is that the operating carrier either doesn't have award seats available or doesn't have them available for *A partners--that's a global problem, not a blocking problem.

It might help CO folks to think of *net blocking like the EUA glitches. It's not very common and doesn't affect anyone as much as you would think from reading FT, but it's a convenient scapegoat for FT anytime a poster doesn't get exactly what they want.

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
One flipside to that coin: it is my understanding that the NZ service from LAX-LHR is never available because UA competes on it.
While this one is commonly cited as an "always" blocked route, I believe there are reports in the UA forum of people getting it from time to time.
Originally Posted by Renard
And on top of it... I don't think that Air New Zealand is known for it's generous levels of standard award availability in C on long-haul transoceanic flights....
This is a great example. The biggest problem with NZ awards is that NZ is incredibly stingy with front-cabin award space until very close in. If you have an availability tool, keep an eye on NZ award availability for its own fliers from start of schedule until flight time. You'll find that they rarely release anything until 60 days, 30 days or even less out. And then they may/may not release it to the alliance.

So the biggest issue with NZ is that the awards just aren't there. But, if you start from the assumption that UA is blocking and then are told 330 days out that there are no front-cabin awards on NZ, it's easy to assume that you're being blocked without really understanding what's going on.

SQ is another great example of this. They don't do awards at all on some flights and are conservative with releases on others. So what seems like blocking is often just SQ not allowing awards.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Driving by DCA
Unfortunately it's become the go-to target anytime someone can't get exactly the award they want.
Indeed. I just saw a post today where someone attributed *net blocking to someone's issue (could not get SQ premium seats on the 380), when in reality, SQ doesn't release premium seats on the 380 to *A partners.

Sad part is that the poster who incorrectly blamed *net blocking was a 20,000-post FT member, who is otherwise usually quite credible.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
It might help CO folks to think of *net blocking like the EUA glitches. It's not very common and doesn't affect anyone as much as you would think from reading FT, but it's a convenient scapegoat for FT anytime a poster doesn't get exactly what they want.
Well, it does seem like we would have pretty good visibility into differentiating between *net blocking and actual inventory unavailability by the operating carrier. If an award shows up on, say, KVS, or another *A carrier's online booking tool, but UA tells us that it's not available, is there any possible explanation other than that UA is blocking us?

EUA glitches, on the other hand, really are just conjecture. None of us really know if EUA is releasing inventory and processing upgrades the way it should be.

Last edited by PeaSouper; May 7, 2010 at 9:50 pm Reason: elaboration
Old May 7, 2010, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
Well, it does seem like we would have pretty good visibility into differentiating between *net blocking and actual inventory unavailability by the operating carrier. If an award shows up on, say, KVS, or another *A carrier's online booking tool, but UA tells us that it's not available, is there any possible explanation other than that UA is blocking us?

It's actually easier than that. If the flight is blocked, it doesn't even show up on the agent's screen. It's not like it's there with no space, it just plain doesn't show up for the agent.

As for external verification, it depends on the reliability of the alternate tool. I think ANA is probably the most reliable. If it's on ANA and UA can't see it, it's probably blocked. I have experienced, however, on two occasions, flights that ANA showed as not available, but UA actually had it (reverse blocking?) and managed to book and ticket them. Both were FRA-SFO in F on LH, so even the best tools aren't the most reliable.
Old May 8, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
In defense of UA there are things that CO does to effectively "block" some of their routes. Try booking an award seat on CO to EYW using UA miles. It shows as available to folks with CO miles, but simply cannot be booked using UA or other *A miles. The reason CO gives: The CO express carrier (Gulfstream) for the EYW flights doesn't "participate". You never find that sort of bunk on any route flown by a UA express carrier.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; May 8, 2010 at 7:51 am
Old May 8, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
In defense of UA there are things that CO does to effectively "block" some of their routes. Try booking an award seat on CO to EYW using UA miles. It shows as available to folks with CO miles, but simply cannot be booked using UA or other *A miles. The reason CO gives: The CO express carrier (Gulfstream) for the EYW flights doesn't "participate". You never find that sort of bunk on any route flown by a UA express carrier.
It's not CO Express, but rather CO Connection, which operates under an entirely different agreement with CO. All COEx flights are eligible for UA accrue/redeem. CO Connection flights are only eligible for UA accrual.

Not too long ago (well, maybe 10 years or so) Gulfstream was a UA partner.
Old May 8, 2010, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
It's not CO Express, but rather CO Connection, which operates under an entirely different agreement with CO. All COEx flights are eligible for UA accrue/redeem. CO Connection flights are only eligible for UA accrual.

Not too long ago (well, maybe 10 years or so) Gulfstream was a UA partner.
I guess I botched the name, but the end result is the same. The flights are effectively blocked to the rest of *A.
Old May 8, 2010, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You never find that sort of bunk on any route flown by a UA express carrier.
Are you sure that the Great Lakes flights are available?
Old May 8, 2010, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
The Great Lakes flights that are UA codeshares out of DEN do not show in the Star Alliance TravelDesk software.
Old May 8, 2010, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
The merger will be a success or failure based on upper management. Mainly Jeff. Sadly I have no appreciation for any changes he has made to CO thus far (merger included). I enjoy UA and appreciate CO, but do not see anything good coming from a merger. CO has had a great deal of time to weed out any bad attitudes that resulted from mergers. Now the roller coaster can start all over again.
Old May 9, 2010, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
The Great Lakes flights that are UA codeshares out of DEN do not show in the Star Alliance TravelDesk software.
Great Lakes is not a part of UA Express. They are an independent carrier and a codeshare partner airline of UA. Also, IIRC you can't even redeem UA miles for Great lakes flights.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; May 9, 2010 at 8:18 am
Old May 9, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
This is a great example. The biggest problem with NZ awards is that NZ is incredibly stingy with front-cabin award space until very close in. If you have an availability tool, keep an eye on NZ award availability for its own fliers from start of schedule until flight time. You'll find that they rarely release anything until 60 days, 30 days or even less out. And then they may/may not release it to the alliance.

So the biggest issue with NZ is that the awards just aren't there. But, if you start from the assumption that UA is blocking and then are told 330 days out that there are no front-cabin awards on NZ, it's easy to assume that you're being blocked without really understanding what's going on.

SQ is another great example of this. They don't do awards at all on some flights and are conservative with releases on others. So what seems like blocking is often just SQ not allowing awards.
Thanks for posting this - this was my guess that some carriers just don't release their seats to anybody. Last year I booked a RTW C-class award using UA miles (200k miles), and I got every flight and date I wanted except to/from South Pacific. I flew SAN-IAD-GRU on UA, GRU-JNB on SA, JNB-IST on TK, IST-BKK on TK (TK by the way was wide open on many many dates), BKK-SIN-SYD on SQ, and SYD-LAX-SAN on UA. I had wanted to fly in/out of AKL, but there was just no availability in C on NZ from AKL +/- a month, and I think I tried flying SQ or TG into AKL. But overall I got everything planned and ticketed in one call (agent was very helpful), and the dates were what I wanted, so *net blocking didn't really affect me. I loved this trip and loved being able to try several different airlines' C-class!

Also to add, SQ adds a surcharge to flights operated by certain aircraft. Not sure how it's treated on award travel, but it's definitely applicable to paid RTW or other Star Alliance fare products. I wouldn't be surprised if these fees also applied to award travel, or award inventory is really restricted on these flights (but not sure from experience).
From www.staralliance.com
A Singapore Airlines Business Class surcharge is applicable for passengers booked in a reduced Business Class (D Class) on Airbus A380, Boeing B773ER or Airbus A340-500 and will be levied on Business Class Round the World passengers travelling on Singapore Airlines Boeing B773ER, Airbus A380 or Airbus A345.
Route between Surcharge per sector
Singapore and San Francisco / Houston 600 USD
Singapore and Los Angeles / New York 900 USD
Seoul and San Francisco 500 USD
Hong Kong and San Francisco 500 USD
Moscow and Houston 500 USD
Singapore and Paris / Milan / Barcelona / Zurich / Frankfurt / London / Moscow 500 USD
Singapore and Delhi / Mumbai 300 USD
Singapore and Hong Kong / Beijing 300 USD
Singapore and Tokyo / Seoul 300 USD
Singapore and Auckland / Melbourne / Sydney 400 USD

The other thing I might add that I've really appreciated about UA's program is the lack of close-in ticketing fees. This was added but then dropped again recently. For me, this is just really customer-friendly. It's been a big benefit to be able to book tickets at the last minute, that are treated just like full-fare Y, for just $20 or so in taxes/fees.

I am cautiously optimistic about UA and CO coming together. I've relied on UA's routes to Asia in the past, enjoy E+ a lot, look forward to more options to/from Europe in the future because of CO, and hope all of the call centers get moved back onshore.
Old May 9, 2010, 3:22 pm

I am chiming in. I am both ExPlat and 1K. I used most of the major airlines worldwide. I do use Bus. class sometimes but when jumping from one country to another I use coach or try for upgrade. In my opinion UAL is on par with any of the airlines in the world overall (yes,some airlines have better entertainment sometimes but better food and other things are debatable depending on preference). I also think that on average UAL is better then AA.
I have booked UAL award travel for both myself as well as quite a few other people and not once have I had a problem getting the route I wanted. I am amazed at all the bashing UAL gets in comparison with some of the other airlines that people on FT love.
I think the merger will be negative if Continental influence is predominant otherwise I think if it is done right we will get the same airline with more route choices.
I am not trying to encourage anyone to come over to UA for anyone not flying UA gets me an opportunity for an empty seat next to me (smile).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.