Search

CAL vs. UAUA: a ticker bicker?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2010, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
CAL vs. UAUA: a ticker bicker?

It's an emotional time here at OnePass and I respect the reticence expressed in this forum when it comes to talking about the pending merger. However, one topic that warrants a full discussion is a new ticker symbol for the company. Sure, Continental enjoys the prestige of being on the New York Stock Exchange, the Big Board, with its storied history and tough listing requirements. Meanwhile United finds itself on the NASDAQ: the crucible of tomorrow's giants and a stone's throw from the pink sheets. If the merged entity is United, CAL isn't an appropriate moniker. Of course, UAUA is a legacy of the recent bankruptcy: it's like wearing an old wedding ring in the next marriage. It's time for that ticker to go. Let's ponder.

First, a decision has to be made on a home for the happy couple. The staid and stable environs of the NYSE would be a great neighborhood for the pair, plus, the ticker symbol U is available; wouldn't that be a great wedding present?

But I have another idea; stay on the NASDAQ; signal to the world that this new company is going places; the old ways are left behind. Plus, I found a great new ticker for the happy couple--I got all tingly when I found it was available: SIRU, as in SIR U for U knighted. <ducks>
Old May 2, 2010, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT

In truth, dont you think it's likely to go "back" to UAL?? Yes, the UAUA won't stay, but since the name appears to be United, it doesn't make sense to use CAL.

Who knows!

Dave
Old May 2, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
My guess is that they'll request U first; there's prestige to a single character ticker and, according to the media, by many measures the new carrier will be the largest in the world. If they can't get U, I think you're right: UAL will be back.
Old May 2, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Available tickers: RAR, TED, EUA, among others.
Old May 2, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
U is the former symbol for US Airways, prior to the HP merger and the 'LCC' ticker. I'm not sure if they'd go for that.

I do hope the new carrier elects to list on the NYSE. There's a degree of prestige and tradition associated with it that the NASDAQ doesn't quite achieve.
Old May 2, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Available tickers: RAR, TED, EUA, among others.
...or BOB ?
Old May 2, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
My advice for a new ticker? BOHICA...
Old May 2, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
RAR is good!
Old May 2, 2010, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Hmmm....

How about UAUACACA...

Not exactly short but at least everyone will get the point...
Old May 2, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Hmmm....

How about UAUACACA...

Not exactly short but at least everyone will get the point...
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.