Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

IAH aircraft downgrades and route changes with pending merger - post changes here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH aircraft downgrades and route changes with pending merger - post changes here

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2010, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

I am already seeing changes into IAH - with pending UA/CO merger. Please post in this thread aircraft and route changes - coincidental or related to the merger.

1. IAH-FRA - downgraded from a 777 to a 764
Old May 1, 2010, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Before panic breaks out, that's probably not merger-related at all, but more a function of CO's efforts to get the 777 BF refits done this year.
Old May 1, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by cova
I am already seeing changes into IAH - with pending UA/CO merger. Please post in this thread aircraft and route changes - coincidental or related to the merger.

1. IAH-FRA - downgraded from a 777 to a 764
I doubt this is a direct example of a merger that has yet to be officially announced and for sure not approved.

It seems premature to attribute any capicity upgrade/downgrade until cross-fleeting begins under a merged company.
Old May 1, 2010, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
Before panic breaks out, that's probably not merger-related at all, but more a function of CO's efforts to get the 777 BF refits done this year.
Actually it appears to simply be untrue. I see the 772 on the schedule for most of the summer, just like previously advertised.
Old May 1, 2010, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james318
I doubt this is a direct example of a merger that has yet to be officially announced and for sure not approved.

It seems premature to attribute any capicity upgrade/downgrade until cross-fleeting begins under a merged company.
Well let's watch and see if CO 777's start to replace UA 744's out of ORD and SFO to Asia and more UA 763's to Europe from EWR/IAH. In the DL/NW - NW 744 moved to ATL for HNL.

I think the 744s will go quick under Jeff.
Old May 1, 2010, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
yet more completely unconfirmed, (and in this case untrue) baseless speculation. A mass cull of threads is badly needed ^
Old May 1, 2010, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by james318

Right, especially since a move from a 777 to a 764 would not be cross-fleeting since UA does not operate any 764's...
Old May 1, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: exUA, WN
Originally Posted by star_world
yet more completely unconfirmed, (and in this case untrue) baseless speculation.
Gotta love merger threads. :-)
Old May 1, 2010, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. Here's one.

IAH-GRK, currently Saab 340, replaced by Airbus A-380, wet-leased by UAUA from Emirates.

OK; I just made that one up...

I think it's time for everyone to take a nice, long and relaxing deep breath.
Old May 1, 2010, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

I would have liked this thread to be an ongoing update list of aircraft and route changes once the merger is announced. And not a discussion thread. This would have allowed us to assess any trends.
Old May 1, 2010, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have liked this thread to be an ongoing update list of aircraft and route changes once the merger is announced. And not a discussion thread. This would have allowed us to assess any trends.
I think that's a wonderful idea, but don't you think it's just a tad premature...
Old May 1, 2010, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Actually it appears to simply be untrue. I see the 772 on the schedule for most of the summer, just like previously advertised.
Yep. My understanding is that it will be a 777 on the route until end of summer when switches back to a 764.
Old May 1, 2010, 5:01 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I think that's a wonderful idea, but don't you think it's just a tad premature...
I agree. Anything that happens on either side before the merger is finalized is merely business as usual.
Old May 1, 2010, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive

I think the 744s will go quick under Jeff.

Delta initially thought the same thing too when it acquired NWA, but I think the final analysis of the merged UA/CO will reach a similar conclusion as Delta - for the capabilities offered by the 747-400, the cost of acquiring and operating a 1-for-1 747 replacement in the near-term currently far outstrips the costs of making any necessary 747 cabin renovations to maintain competitiveness. The best currently available 747-400 replacement, the 777-300ER, is VERY expensive to acquire, and will not always beat the 747-400 on operating costs depending on loads and mission profiles.

And FWIW, Delta reached that conclusion in the context of a 747-400 fleet that is older, less capable, and smaller than United's.
Old May 1, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Frequency additions, reductions, aircraft swaps, and seasonal capacity adjustments are going to happen, merger or not. Outside of hub-hub routes and hub overflying, it would be extremely difficult to separate from the aforementioned normal course of airline business, especially out of the likely-to-be-safe IAH hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.