Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-NAS 11/24-11/29 Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2010, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood
EWR-NAS 11/24-11/29 Advice needed

I know it's over peak Thanksgiving weekend but I need 4 tickets on flight 698 from EWR and flight 699 on the return. Flights are pricing out at $661 per ticket. Can anyone offer advice if I should be booking now or wait it out? I have no idea what do do. Considering paying cash for 2 tickets and using 110,000 SPG and booking the other 2 through SPG flights. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by longtimereader
... and using 110,000 SPG and booking the other 2 through SPG flights. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
I would NOT do this.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
If the fare goes down CO now lets you make a change and rebook at the lower fare but they charge you a $50.00 chan ge fee. So the fare needs to be more then $50.00 less in order to even bother making the change. I have seen fares go down a $100-$200.00. Since these are p eak travel days I would book the fare know and keep checking back to see if it lowers.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; UA Silver
Would not cash in 110,000 SPG points for this. Rather, check out JetBlue and other NY airlines. It is a very short flight (2h15m) and in my category of "fly on any airline for the cheapest price".
Old Apr 26, 2010, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Right now these flights are the cheapest non stops, I prefer EWR but I can make LGA or JFK work but right now this is the cheapest option.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
If the fare goes down CO now lets you make a change and rebook at the lower fare but they charge you a $50.00 chan ge fee.
Not exactly.

CO charges you the actual change fee on the fare - often $150 or more - and you have to pay in the new cash to get the fare difference back as a TCV. In the case of the OP, the H fare being quoted has a $150 fee.

Yes, the non-stops are obscenely expensive. That's what you get on a holiday where they can afford to do so. I'd seriously consider if the $250+/ticket is worth a connection.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Traveling with small children so would prefer the nonstops, nervous that if I miss a connection that time of year I might get stranded. Just trying to get a sense if I should wait it out or not take the chance and book now. Anybody know what the most expensive they've ever seen this route 3-4 months out? Thanks for all the advice so far.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Perhaps you should track your flights with Yapta.com

They will notify you if the flights go down in price...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.