Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-flight EQM?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
Non-flight EQM?

Simple question: Are there any methods for earning EQMs other than with flight miles? I'm going to be pushing 65k EQM this year, and would love to be able to bump it to 75k for plat if I can swing it, but don't really have the time to do 10k worth of mile runs, nor the cash to bump to F for my flights. Thoughts would be welcomed...
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:51 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Yes.

Apply for the Presidential Plus credit card, pay the annual fee ($375) and then every $15,000 in spend will earn you 2,000 Flex EQMs that you can use at your leisure.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass Platinum, *G, Amex Plat, Priority Pass Prestige, Costa Coffee Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Yes.

Apply for the Presidential Plus credit card, pay the annual fee ($375) and then every $15,000 in spend will earn you 2,000 Flex EQMs that you can use at your leisure.
I'm UK based at the moment...so USD CCs aren't really an option for big spend.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:32 am

Programs: Alaska Gold, CO Plat, United Premier, US Airways Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by MelesMeles
I'm UK based at the moment...so USD CCs aren't really an option for big spend.
I believe there are a few other methods, did you check the co website?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpmmracing
I believe there are a few other methods, did you check the co website?
I found lots of information on partner rewards for miles, but couldn't find any information on whether you could get EQMs. Just found this article so it looks like the answer to my question was that EQMs are only available through flight or CC. Oh well...looks like I need to find fares on a long weekend in New York.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Yes.

Apply for the Presidential Plus credit card, pay the annual fee ($375) and then every $15,000 in spend will earn you 2,000 Flex EQMsthat you can use at your leisure.
What exactly are "Flex EQMs," and what do you mean I can use them "at my leisure?"
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
What exactly are "Flex EQMs," and what do you mean I can use them "at my leisure?"
As I understand them, Flex EQMs sit on your card and can be redeemed at any time (not necessarily in the year you earned them) to bump up your Elite status.

For example, you earn 5k Flex EQMs in the same year that you earn 50k regular EQMs. There's no benefit in redeeming the Flex EQMs that year, since you're already GoldElite, so you hold onto them until next year, when you're at 48k EQMs, and then redeem 2k Flex EQMs to bump you up to 50k overall on the year to maintain your Gold status.

Disclaimer: I'm out of coffee, so all calculations subject to a margin of error of +/- 300%.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
As I understand them, Flex EQMs sit on your card and can be redeemed at any time (not necessarily in the year you earned them) to bump up your Elite status.

For example, you earn 5k Flex EQMs in the same year that you earn 50k regular EQMs. There's no benefit in redeeming the Flex EQMs that year, since you're already GoldElite, so you hold onto them until next year, when you're at 48k EQMs, and then redeem 2k Flex EQMs to bump you up to 50k overall on the year to maintain your Gold status.

Disclaimer: I'm out of coffee, so all calculations subject to a margin of error of +/- 300%.
Out of coffee as well, so the numbers look great to me!

How long are the flex EQMs available before they expire?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
FlexEQMs accrue in a milage account, similar to RDMs. They do not expire (at least not presently)

They are used in a similar manner as redeeming miles.

Say you have accrued 8,000 Flex EQMs (from an initial credit card sign up bonus of 2k, then spending $45k on your PPMC credit card).

Now fast forward to December 12, 2010 and you notice that you have only flown 44,102 EQMs. You're 6,000 EQMs short of gold. But you're not worried because you can simply call up CO and ask them to transfer 6,000 of your 8,000 FlexEQMs into your EQM total....voila... Gold elite.

The remaining 2,000 FlexEQMs stay in your Flex account until you need them. And you can continue to earn more through spending.

_____

ps --- Dear CO- If you are listening I would love to see some Flex EQM earning promos

Last edited by dergon darkhelm; Mar 21, 2010 at 8:17 am
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
This benefit is most valuable during the year if you're not already Platinum and you're close to hitting a new level. If you have a flight coming up, and you go ahead and use the flexible miles to hit a higher level, it can help you on stanby/upgrades on upcoming flights, rather than waiting until December.

My first Platinum year, I used them to get to 75k as soon as I had enough. My next flight was canceled and I was put on standby on the next one, getting the last seat ahead of an (irate) Gold who got to the counter just before me. He was yelling at the GA as I was walking down the jetway. (Made me feel less guilty about jumping the queue.)
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
This benefit is most valuable during the year if you're not already Platinum and you're close to hitting a new level. If you have a flight coming up, and you go ahead and use the flexible miles to hit a higher level, it can help you on stanby/upgrades on upcoming flights, rather than waiting until December.
Heh.... I wish "when am I gonna make platinum?" was my big question.

For me it is just an insurance policy for being able to sneak into the next elite level at year end rather than having to take an inconvenient MR to get myself over.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Considering that frequently a call to OPSC can serve the same purpose I'd say you wasted the Flex EQMs.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Simple question: Are there any methods for earning EQMs other than with flight miles? I'm going to be pushing 65k EQM this year, and would love to be able to bump it to 75k for plat if I can swing it, but don't really have the time to do 10k worth of mile runs, nor the cash to bump to F for my flights. Thoughts would be welcomed...
It is only March. You've got 9 months left in the year. 10k can easily be earned with one trip to the US. That can be done in as little as 24 hours. For example, book UA LHR-SFO and back and credit the miles to CO. That's just over 10k miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.