B-ups for specific segments

Old Feb 2, 10, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

B-ups for specific segments

I have a trip in a while that has me ending in LAX on a Mon-Wed. My wife is then flying IAH-LAX-OGG, picking me up in LAX, and we're getting in a couple of days in Maui, then heading back to IAH.

My routing forced my LAX-OGG segment into a B fare and instant upgrades are available. We can purchase W fares for her IAH-LAX-OGG and back. LAX-OGG isn't that long of a flight, and it's on a Wednesday, so ordinarily, we would just get exit rows and hope for the EUAs, but since I'm already on a B fare, we'd be willing to pay for her upgrade to ensure that we both get in F.

Is it possible to buy up the LAX-OGG portion to a B fare and leave the IAH-LAX a W? Or do we have to buy up the entire direction? My wife would rather not pay for the upgrade from IAH-LAX, if we don't have to.

If the buyup to B is cheap enough for just the LAX-OGG segment, we'd probably do that. Otherwise, we'd use 17,500 miles to upgrade her, which should cover the entire direction IAH-LAX-OGG, yes?

Her ticket is available two ways. As a "direct" flight with a stop in LAX or as two separate segments (if I force a stop in LAX). The price is the same either way, and so are the flights. Does the direct flight affect our upgrading options?

Thanks a bunch.
Old Feb 3, 10, 5:52 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by tvetter01 View Post
I have a trip in a while that has me ending in LAX on a Mon-Wed. My wife is then flying IAH-LAX-OGG, picking me up in LAX, and we're getting in a couple of days in Maui, then heading back to IAH.

My routing forced my LAX-OGG segment into a B fare and instant upgrades are available. We can purchase W fares for her IAH-LAX-OGG and back. LAX-OGG isn't that long of a flight, and it's on a Wednesday, so ordinarily, we would just get exit rows and hope for the EUAs, but since I'm already on a B fare, we'd be willing to pay for her upgrade to ensure that we both get in F.

Is it possible to buy up the LAX-OGG portion to a B fare and leave the IAH-LAX a W? Or do we have to buy up the entire direction? My wife would rather not pay for the upgrade from IAH-LAX, if we don't have to.

If the buyup to B is cheap enough for just the LAX-OGG segment, we'd probably do that. Otherwise, we'd use 17,500 miles to upgrade her, which should cover the entire direction IAH-LAX-OGG, yes?

Her ticket is available two ways. As a "direct" flight with a stop in LAX or as two separate segments (if I force a stop in LAX). The price is the same either way, and so are the flights. Does the direct flight affect our upgrading options?

Thanks a bunch.

My experience with CO itineraries - Yes, I was able to call CO and change particular segments to B-fares.
Yes, you can upgrade the whole IAH-lAX-OGG as a 17500 upgrade award on a B-fare.
I dont know the answer to your last question.

Last edited by snod08; Feb 3, 10 at 6:54 am Reason: corrected based on info from jrzyshawn
Old Feb 3, 10, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by snod08 View Post
You are flying United right..... Not continental for LAX-OGG?
CO operates LAX-OGG and SNA-HNL now :-:
Old Feb 3, 10, 6:53 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn View Post
CO operates LAX-OGG and SNA-HNL now :-:
wow! no kidding!!
thats great news. I was not aware of this.

OP - sorry for the slight misinformation in my post. I will now edit my post.
Old Feb 3, 10, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by snod08 View Post
Yes, you can upgrade the whole IAH-lAX-OGG as a 17500 upgrade award on a B-fare.
No miles required for an elite on that route. :-:

As for changing just the one segment, the concern I'd have is the fare break you'd see if you switch from IAH-OGG in W to IAH-LAX (??) + LAX-OGG (B). There's no guarantee that it would stay in the cheap bucket - especially on IAH-LAX - so who knows. It can definitely be done. It is just a matter of how much it will cost.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: