Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Platinum Becomes Gold

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
When Platinum Becomes Gold

I understand why CO wants to reward their very best customers with the Presidential Platinum program, but my concern is not about the first year of the program, but the following years.

Marketing has already diluted the benefits of Platinum Elite by swelling the ranks through free offers to executives, status match, double EQM promotions and full EQM's for all tickets. Platinum lost its luster through over utilization from marketing. How long before they over extend this status in freebies, status match and so on. I'm thinking by 2011 Platinum will become Gold, and Silver will become...um Bronze.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I disagree. The number of PPlatinums will be tightly controlled. There may be more platinums out there next year (I HIGHLY doubt it but folks seem to want to believe that is the case) but that would just have you competing against other platinums. There are not going to be enough PPlatinums for me to have any concerns about that.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Facevalue

Marketing has already diluted the benefits of Platinum Elite by swelling the ranks through free offers to executives, status match, double EQM promotions and full EQM's for all tickets. Platinum lost its luster through over utilization from marketing. How long before they over extend this status in freebies, status match and so on. I'm thinking by 2011 Platinum will become Gold, and Silver will become...um Bronze.
Let's see, where to begin:

1. Swelling the ranks?

I think it's more like "trying to maintain the same number of PEs in a down economy".

2. Lost its luster?

I think most FTers view PE as a pretty nice thing to have, and extremely beneficial for EUAs, except for EWR-LAX/SFO flights.

3. Full EQMs for all tickets - a bad thing?

I don't remember a negative post from you when CO Insider announced this change. Do you really think that those who booked on kayak or travelocity now became platinum in the month that this was changed? Those who were forced to book through corporate agencies are hardly impacted, as they were Plat already, worked to become Plat anyways, or didn't care.

Not saying you may not have good arguments, but they are lost in the hyperbole.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platt,Hilton Dmnd,Marriott Platt,Hertz Presidents Circle,Avis Preferred Select
[QUOTE=aacharya;12968222]

I don't remember a negative post from you when CO Insider announced this change.
QUOTE]

I didn't complain because I didn't and still don't think EQMs are a bad thing.

I never said Platinum was a bad product. My worry is that the benefits will become diluted.

Maybe the post came off as a rant and thus all the "hyperbole". My emotion got involved with my main point.

Last edited by Facevalue; Dec 11, 2009 at 12:16 pm
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:48 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Facevalue
...I'm thinking by 2011 Platinum will become Gold, and Silver will become...um Bronze.
Please say it ain't so. I'm going to be Bronze in 2010. If Silver becomes the equivalent of Bronze then what will become of me? Tin?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
Please say it ain't so. I'm going to be Bronze in 2010. If Silver becomes the equivalent of Bronze then what will become of me? Tin?
Well, at least you should feel better that you can't get lower status than Channa's at, based on Scott's new listing of upgrade preferences!
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
and extremely beneficial for EUAs, except for EWR-LAX/SFO flights
Actual routing is EWR-ANY (ANYwhere)
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by RNE
Beats iron ore.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Mackieman
Beats iron ore.
Isnt Tin what the kettles are made out of
Old Dec 11, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by RNE
Ummmm????... perhaps RUST ??

(only kidding!)
Old Dec 11, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: Continental
maybe...

Originally Posted by RNE
Cardboard?
Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
See my programs list.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:55 am

This is admittedly OT but reading KD5MDK's programmes list, as invited, prompts the comment that no-one needs to be SPG cardboard as there are FTers on another forum offering free referral to Gold.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...atus-gift.html
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
I disagree. The number of PPlatinums will be tightly controlled. There may be more platinums out there next year (I HIGHLY doubt it but folks seem to want to believe that is the case) but that would just have you competing against other platinums. There are not going to be enough PPlatinums for me to have any concerns about that.
+1
Old Dec 12, 2009, 9:26 am
RNE

Originally Posted by hockey7711
Cardboard?
Surely not that bad. I mean, I'd still outrank the hoi polloi with no status at all. And after last night's Company Christmas party, where our Dickensian CEO predicted 2010 would be no better than 2009, I may take only half a dozen flights again this coming year. So, that's good new. Why? Because at most, I will not be upgraded six times in 2010, whereas there will be plenty of Platinums who will likewise not be upgraded six times—or more! Poor suckers! Ha!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.