Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

First time upgrade standby - Disappointment & Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2009, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

CO#327 12/03/09 SAN-EWR red-eye B739

This is the first flight after becoming a lowly Silver. Four hours before the flight, the standby list shows 20FC, 11 booked, and I was No 10 on the standby list. It did not look good, and I did not give too much hope at that point. However about 1 hour before the flight, it shows 20FC 13 booked 13 checked-in, and I was No 7 on the standby list. Suddenly it looked like I could make it. That was when the GA started to clear the list one by one at about 2-3 minute interval. I was refreshing my blackberry after each clearance, everything went normal up to last two. After 18 seats were taken, I was still No 2 on the standby list and seasts 3F and 5F were available. But FC#19 (3F) went to someone without any annoucement, and nobody from the standby list was cleared. The person in front of me on the list got the last seat 5F. And I, together with 2 others, were still on the list when the plane left.

I was more curious than upset at this point because as a Silver, I did not expect to score an upgrade on a transcon, but I did not realize I could be this close either. I am more interested to find out if there is any legit reason somebody could claim that FC seat (3F), or is this simply another GA manipulation at play. Thoughts?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, KE Morning Calm, Hertz Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by guiming_miao
CO#327 12/03/09 SAN-EWR red-eye B739

This is the first flight after becoming a lowly Silver. Four hours before the flight, the standby list shows 20FC, 11 booked, and I was No 10 on the standby list. It did not look good, and I did not give too much hope at that point. However about 1 hour before the flight, it shows 20FC 13 booked 13 checked-in, and I was No 7 on the standby list. Suddenly it looked like I could make it. That was when the GA started to clear the list one by one at about 2-3 minute interval. I was refreshing my blackberry after each clearance, everything went normal up to last two. After 18 seats were taken, I was still No 2 on the standby list and seasts 3F and 5F were available. But FC#19 (3F) went to someone without any annoucement, and nobody from the standby list was cleared. The person in front of me on the list got the last seat 5F. And I, together with 2 others, were still on the list when the plane left.

I was more curious than upset at this point because as a Silver, I did not expect to score an upgrade on a transcon, but I did not realize I could be this close either. I am more interested to find out if there is any legit reason somebody could claim that FC seat (3F), or is this simply another GA manipulation at play. Thoughts?
Someone could have purchased a full fare first class ticket.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by bryanlee81
Someone could have purchased a full fare first class ticket.
Or maybe a buyup at the kiosk?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

I thought about those scenario too, but that was 15 minutes before the scheduled flight. I was standing close to the podium, did not see anyone making such transactions.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat National Executive Amtrak Select Plus
maybe a gold/plat companion was added at the last minute... or perhaps a gold/plat stopped by the service desk and did a same day change to an earlier flight and got a seat in F.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by LGAiahSAT
maybe a gold/plat companion was added at the last minute...
Wouldn't the companion be on the upgrade list?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by LGAiahSAT
maybe a gold/plat companion was added at the last minute... or perhaps a gold/plat stopped by the service desk and did a same day change to an earlier flight and got a seat in F.
Originally Posted by davidash
Wouldn't the companion be on the upgrade list?
GAs sometimes get lazy and just don't feel like adding the companion to the list when it looks as if they aren't going to make it. Then once the clearing starts, the GA discovers that the companion will make it and will do another entry, which will not show them on the upgrade list. GAs forget that everyone is watching their PDAs.

Although I have no idea what happened in this case, it isn't always a case of shenanigans.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's reply. The companion's scenario does make most sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.