Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Blanket Bags In Overhead Bins??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Million Miler now Lifetime UA Premier Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star, Global E
New Blanket Bags In Overhead Bins??

I searched but did not find any thread for this, if I missed it please forgive me.

As we know CO has recently removed blankets from laying around in the overhead bins or seats and replaced them with a new zipper bag full of individually wrapped blankets. The blanket zipper bag seems to always be put in the overhead bin over Row 1 taking up quite a large amount of overhead space, in an already crowded area normally used for carry on items.

Yes, closet space on most aircraft is very limited. A possible solution to this minor issue (until you are the person having to gate check a bag) may be
to have the cleaners return to the former practice of placing these fresh individually wrapped blankets on first class seats leaving the zipper bag of blankets as on the jetway so passengers could pick them up while boarding.

Have others found this to be a space eater as well?

Just seeking a little more overhead space and hoping for the CO F/T folks to help out!!

P.S. Yes, I have contacted Customer Service folks.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:49 am

Programs: CO Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I've actually noticed this practice recently - but it's never seemed to cause any issues with folks placing items in the overhead.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:38 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
I was told by a f/a on a recent trip that it's part of the "new" blanket policy: they're individually wrapped because of H1N1 and put in the big package to discourage customers who aren't sitting in F from taking them since it seems like you have to ask a f/a to open the bag.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Million Miler now Lifetime UA Premier Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star, Global E
Originally Posted by CO DCA
I was told by a f/a on a recent trip that it's part of the "new" blanket policy: they're individually wrapped because of H1N1 and put in the big package to discourage customers who aren't sitting in F from taking them since it seems like you have to ask a f/a to open the bag.
All true, except that the zipper bag holds a much greater amount of individually wrapped blankets than the 20 or less First Class seats on most aircraft and the FA on my recent flights had to return to the zippper bag during the flights to get blankets for customers, most not in First Class.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by IAHFLYBOY
All true, except that the zipper bag holds a much greater amount of individually wrapped blankets than the 20 or less First Class seats on most aircraft and the FA on my recent flights had to return to the zippper bag during the flights to get blankets for customers, most not in First Class.
The blanket bag is exactly where it is supposed to be. I've not had any issues with customers and their carry on luggage. I would like to see it in the closet, but we are currently relocating the onboard wheelchair to the closet further reducing the available space there. The blankets are for FC only and available upon request. They are supposed to be provisioned roundtrip, 50% for each leg. FA's should not be giving them to anyone in Y.

Last edited by CALflyboi; Dec 1, 2009 at 8:23 am
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CALflyboi
The blanket bag is exactly where it is supposed to be. I've not had any issues with customers and their carry on luggage. I would like to see it in the closet, but we are currently relocating the onboard wheelchair to the closet further reducing the available space there. The blankets are for FC only and available upon request. They are supposed to be provisioned roundtrip, 50% for each leg. FA's should not be giving them to anyone in Y.
From a November 18 post in a different thread:

Originally Posted by sdm1130
Blankets should be stocked at 50% in F and no blankets in Y unless it is a red eye flight, in which case there should be blankets for every seat in F and Y.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The blanket bag is exactly where it is supposed to be. I've not had any issues with customers and their carry on luggage. I would like to see it in the closet, but we are currently relocating the onboard wheelchair to the closet further reducing the available space there.
No doubt it is where it should be but I don't fault the OP for their concern that having the bag there takes away from some of the most coveted overhead space on the plane.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
No doubt it is where it should be but I don't fault the OP for their concern that having the bag there takes away from some of the most coveted overhead space on the plane.
I understand the concern, but since the change I have had zero problems with overhead space.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:05 am
Original Poster

I understand the concern, but since the change I have had zero problems with overhead space.
I too have had ZERO problems with the overhead space however, have seen others who had a late connection and had no space when they boarded the aircraft. Had that zipper bag not been in the overhead their luggage most likely would have fit and wouldn't have had to store it around Row 28ish.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by IAHFLYBOY
I too have had ZERO problems with the overhead space however, have seen others who had a late connection and had no space when they boarded the aircraft. Had that zipper bag not been in the overhead their luggage most likely would have fit and wouldn't have had to store it around Row 28ish.
I've encountered that problem numerous times over the years with late connects, and that was before the blanket bag.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
On my most recent flight the FA passed out blankets to all of the F passengers. Is it still only supposed to be only 50%? Even though I was the first one to ask for a blanket, I was delighted to see she had enough for everyone. I think blankets should be provisioned 100% in F. All passengers in F should receive fair treatment.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by flying for gold elite
On my most recent flight the FA passed out blankets to all of the F passengers. Is it still only supposed to be only 50%? Even though I was the first one to ask for a blanket, I was delighted to see she had enough for everyone. I think blankets should be provisioned 100% in F. All passengers in F should receive fair treatment.
The blankets are provisioned 50% for each leg the AC is flying, or so says the memo from inflight. We are NOT to distribute them unless one is requested.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Since I almost always sit in 1A or 2A, I don't like the blankets being there. I always wondered why people in 1st Class line up before boarding to be the 1st of the 1st. I always took my time and was usually one of the last 1st Class passengers boarding. Since the blankets, I've taken to boarding with those 1st few people just to make sure I can get my bag in 1st Class and not the 1st or 2nd row of Y. However, I do applaud CO for protecting us in this scary flu season. I DO miss the pillows- they fit perfectly into the small of my back. I'm assuming that only domestic flights lost the pillows? I can't imagine BF w/o the nice bigger pillow and blanket combo in plastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.