Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shower at lounge in Rio (GIG)?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Shower at lounge in Rio (GIG)?

I will be flying from GIG-IAH tomorrow night in Business First. Does the CO-affiliated/contracted lounge (SEA VIP Lounge) have a shower?

If not, as a Delta SkyClubs member, I should be able to get into the Air France lounge, which according to DL's website has a shower. It is supposedly located "Airside - Level 3/Zone C Read area." Not knowing anything about GIG, will I be able to access it from whatever terminal/concourse CO uses?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
If not, as a Delta SkyClubs member, I should be able to get into the Air France lounge, which according to DL's website has a shower. It is supposedly located "Airside - Level 3/Zone C Read area." Not knowing anything about GIG, will I be able to access it from whatever terminal/concourse CO uses?
Yes, it is located airside on terminal 1, one level above the international concourse, accessible by the escalators right after you pass through security. I believe that the lounge CO uses is landside. Since AF and CO both operate at Terminal 1, you can probably talk to someone at AF's ticket counter before you decide which club to use.

Last edited by Curvelo; Nov 29, 2009 at 6:27 pm Reason: made myself clear on last sentence.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Have a good trip!
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I'm here at the Sala VIP Lounge, which is the CO-contracted lounge here at GIG. As feared, it does not have a shower, which is disappointing given that BusinessFirst and President's Club customers are facing a 10 hour red-eye following what is likely to have been a long day in steamy Rio. Continental.com appears to list Rio de Janeiro as a place with "BusinessFirst Shower Facilities," although perhaps that page only applies to an arrival facility. If so, it should be cleaned up to eliminate any ambiguity.

The lounge itself is very disappointing. The wi-fi is slow, there is an astounding shortage of power outlets relative to the size of the lounge, the food offerings are rather limited, the only rum on offering is Malibu Coconut Rum. Reading materials, at least at this hour, are virtually non-existent.

On the positive side, there are two computer stations for those who don't have a laptop.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
The lounge itself is very disappointing. The wi-fi is slow, there is an astounding shortage of power outlets relative to the size of the lounge, the food offerings are rather limited, the only rum on offering is Malibu Coconut Rum. Reading materials, at least at this hour, are virtually non-existent.
Sounds like the RCC at EZE.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 6:27 pm

Where can this lounge be found? Terminal 1, I hope... and please tell me I can get a good cafezinho...
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:51 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
I think you have to be on a SkyTeam flight to use the AF lounge with ad SkyClub membership.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
I'm here at the Sala VIP Lounge, which is the CO-contracted lounge here at GIG. As feared, it does not have a shower, which is disappointing given that BusinessFirst and President's Club customers are facing a 10 hour red-eye following what is likely to have been a long day in steamy Rio. Continental.com appears to list Rio de Janeiro as a place with "BusinessFirst Shower Facilities," although perhaps that page only applies to an arrival facility. If so, it should be cleaned up to eliminate any ambiguity.

On the positive side, there are two computer stations for those who don't have a laptop.
That's too bad. Although a bit small, the AF lounge is much nicer than the Sala VIP lounge.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:19 pm

Programs: CO One Pass Hipster, *G, Expedia Elite Plus, :rolleyes: Premier Exec.
I thought there was an RCC at GIG? If so, we can use the RCC when flying a *A airline right? (US in my case) Does the RCC have showers? I plan on going to the beach after check out, and will need a shower before the red eye
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by carvalh2
I thought there was an RCC at GIG? If so, we can use the RCC when flying a *A airline right? (US in my case) Does the RCC have showers? I plan on going to the beach after check out, and will need a shower before the red eye
AA is the only US-based carrier with a lounge in Rio.
http://tools.wanderingaramean.com/Lo...os%20Jobim(GIG)

There are a few lounges at GRU, including an RCC, but no shower.
http://tools.wanderingaramean.com/Lo...20Montouro(GRU)

(The links above are horribly incomplete as I work to add international carriers but all the lounges operated by US-based carriers should be accurate.)
Old Nov 18, 2010, 5:54 pm

Hi - I thought I'd hijack this thread, since I will be at GIG soon. AFAIK, TAM operates out of Terminal 2, and CO (back the skyteam days) operates out of T1, which means there are only 2 lounges available at GIG : the AA and the Air France salon. [only AA has showers]

Or has CO moved to T2 now? (with Tam joining *A), and if not - is CO still using the Air France Salon as the primary lounge?

Last edited by meFIRST; Nov 18, 2010 at 6:04 pm
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
well, i won't be in GIG soon, but it's likely one of my leisure destinations in the upcoming year. gotta love brazil - esp for naming the Rio airport after Jobim.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:31 pm

I am on my way to GIG right now, so I will check. However, i am waiting for my mom who will be coming in from EZE, and I just hang out at the Amex lounge on T1. Land side, good finger foods, but no wi-fi. At least in march it didn't have wi-fi.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:36 pm

I just asked the BF concierge at IAH E PC, and he confirmed that GIG does not have an arrival's facility, FYI. He could not confirm the terminal, but I am still pretty sure it is the one from the 1970's hell with low ceilings and crappy fluorescent light.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I used the TAM lounge in GIG when flying GIG-IAH back in July. IIRC, it wasn't too far from the CO gates. It was also a pretty decent lounge:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.