Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Product Idea: "Reward Alert"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2009, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
New Product Idea: "Reward Alert"

Had a thought this morning - an idea that would create convenience for many of us and a new revenue stream for CO.

Here is the concept - "Reward Alert" permits Continental OnePass Elite Members to register online to receive an alert when a standard reward seat becomes available on a date or range of dates they select.

A limited number of alert slots are available for each flight and date (perhaps 2 or 3) to avoid building a list where the people lower on the list might have no chance to get a usable alert.

Once an alert is triggered, the system will place that seat(s) on hold for the first registered Elite member for a limited time (maybe 15 minutes) and send a PDA SMS or Email to that member with a unique 'click to book' URL that takes them right to the booking page. If they don't book within the time limit, the next Elite member on the list is alerted gets the hold and alert, and so on. If no one responds and books, then the seat becomes available to anyone who searches.

I am thinking that CO could reasonably charge $6.95 to $9.95 for each award seat registration (it needs to be a reasonable amount because it's logical to assume people will do multiple registrations).

I see one downside that people might complain about - those who choose not to register might never be able to find standard award availability on popular routes, it's either pay to register or forget about finding a seat. On the other hand, paying a small reasonable fee to get away from having to repeatedly log on and check for seats and know that if a seat pops up for my chosen date or range of dates, I will have a chance to grab it might be an appealing option for many customers.

What are people's thoughts around this idea?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
What are people's thoughts around this idea?
ExpertFlyer alerts can be had for $9.95/month for any number of segments/awards - but CO isn't among the supported airlines.

The idea of needing to pay, in effect, to search for an award will turn off many.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Honorable and noble for an idea, but they can't get TripAlerts right sometimes.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
...The idea of needing to pay, in effect, to search for an award will turn off many.
A good point - but searching for an award would still be free. This is paying for the award to find you.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO
No thank you!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Not fair to those who dont have a means to know that they got an Alert, unless they kept checking their email box every few mins.

Dont think its right for these people (including me) to either be forced to get such a device or be at a tremendous disadvantage

Not everyone has a pda or gets Text messages or alerts
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by craz
Not fair to those who dont have a means to know that they got an Alert, unless they kept checking their email box every few mins.
What about people who don't have computers and have to call and deal with the reservations line? Aren't they at a disadvantage, too?

I'd be worried about the slippery slope effect this could start in terms of redemption fees/costs.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
What about people who don't have computers and have to call and deal with the reservations line? Aren't they at a disadvantage, too?

I'd be worried about the slippery slope effect this could start in terms of redemption fees/costs.
Not really. If it was AA for sure as it wil cost them $20 to have a rep do what they might have been able to do Online themselves. I say might, cause if you arent soley flying on AA then unlike CO AA hits you for a $20 fee to have a rep book what is impossible for you to book . But its $5 less then what DL would charge and thats if you book it online as DL charges $25 if you are booking a tkt even with 1 segment not on DL.

the major difference is CO wouldnt be Dinging anyone asking "Are you interested in booking a trip using your miles", under the OPs idea thats exactly what CO would be doing thusly putting anyone w/o the means at a Big Disadvantage. Besides which CO was known to at times have flights that could be booked but werent showing online and only by calling and speaking to a rep would you knwo they were available.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by craz
I say might, cause if you arent soley flying on AA then unlike CO AA hits you for a $20 fee to have a rep book what is impossible for you to book .
Actually CO changed their policy and also charges in this sort of situation, even if it is not possible to book the itinerary online.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Honorable and noble for an idea, but they can't get TripAlerts right sometimes.
Or EUA for that matter.

For a paid, subscription-based service, they'll need better programmers first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.