Wiki Posts
Search

Connection in Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Connection in Frankfurt

Hi, All,

I'll be travelling to Italy next month. We're flying EWR -> FCO outbound, and on the return, we'll be connecting through Frankfurt (FCO -> FRA -> IAH).

It's been some time since I had a same day connection like that, and I just want to make sure I've got a couple of things correct.

The FCO -> FRA leg is on Lufthansa, and the FRA -> IAH leg is on Continental.

Am I correct in my understanding that we will check in with Lufthansa in Rome and check our bags all the way thru from FCO -> IAH; once we arrive in Frankfurt, we'll be in the Schengen zone, meaning that we'll have no passport check or customs in Frankfurt?
We'll then be free to do whatever we like in Frankfurt (leave the airport, etc.) until it's time for our Continental flight to IAH (without ever having touched our checked bags in Frankfurt).

Thanks a bunch.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tvetter01
Am I correct in my understanding that we will check in with Lufthansa in Rome and check our bags all the way thru from FCO -> IAH; once we arrive in Frankfurt, we'll be in the Schengen zone, meaning that we'll have no passport check or customs in Frankfurt?
We'll then be free to do whatever we like in Frankfurt (leave the airport, etc.) until it's time for our Continental flight to IAH (without ever having touched our checked bags in Frankfurt).
Yes, this is correct. It's nothing to do with Schengen either, all European connections (and most others outside the US) are the same. Your bag will be checked all the way through.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tvetter01

Thanks a bunch.
Yup. You will have to deal with passport control when you go for the FRA-IAH flight but not until you head to that gate.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
On both the outbound and inbound your bags will be checked all the way through to your destination.

Upon arrival in FRA you will pass into the Schengen zone and there will be a passport control station there, after that point you will be "in Europe".

What's your status? If *Gold you can use the LH senator lounge between flights.

Upon arrival at Rome, there will be no passport control for you, but you will technically go through customs after you retrieve your luggage. Just go through the "nothing to declare" line and there is about a 99% chance that you won't be stopped or questioned.

On the return, you will again go through passport control at FRA (Keep it handy, I usually need to show it 4-5 times at various places). You will again be welcome to use the LH lounge if *Gold - be careful to not go too far toward your gate as at some point you'll pass through a security station, which will likely be beyond the lounges.

You will likely go through an additional security station and questioning at or close to your gate for IAH as the US flights have an added level of security.

I think I have this mostly right!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch. I thought I had it basically right, but I wanted to make sure.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:17 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by milepig

Upon arrival at Rome, there will be no passport control for you, but you will technically go through customs after you retrieve your luggage. Just go through the "nothing to declare" line and there is about a 99% chance that you won't be stopped or questioned.
t!
if you are flying from the USA your bag tag will not have the green stripes on the outside, which normally denotes most intra-Schengen flights, and is a quick guide to any watching agents where your flight originated.

As noted just walk through the "nothing to declare" line.

Ciao,
FH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.