Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: CO Elite Benefits w/in Star Alliance | Comments, Questions & Concerns

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MASTER THREAD: CO Elite Benefits w/in Star Alliance | Comments, Questions & Concerns

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
OnePass Elite mileage bonuses are not available on...

1. Adria Airways
  2. Air Canada
  3. Air China
  4. Air New Zealand
  5. ANA
  6. Asiana
  7. Austrian
  8. Blue1
  9. bmi
  10. Croatia Airlines
  11. Egyptair
  12. LOT
  13. SAS
  14. Shanghai Airlines
  15. Singapore Airlines
  16. South African Airways
  17. Spanair
  18. Swiss
  19. TAP
  20. Thai Airways
  21. Turkish Airlines

I like most of the new changes, but this is definitely
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold
*A Silver (*S) access pre-annoucement stripped of benefits post CO join

Is it me or does it seem that *S has been stripped of any value except on your home airline?

With all the hoopla with CO's joining *A it seems that the best things about CO joining *A was that as a lowly CO Silver, you could get extra bag allowance, priority boarding and check-in on *A partners like you were flying EA on CO; now after the big join, it seems that they took away the extra bag allowance, the priority check-in and reduced the benefits to just priority waitlist and reservations (but is null and void if you are traveling on a reward res).

I am *G, but this is a big and makes it really no point of having *S at all unless you are flying your home FFP carrier.

- HF
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

*S never really had much value. Neither did ST E. You get access to the elite lines at checkin and that's about it. DL/NW killed the baggage allowance a while ago and most other carriers were hit-or-miss. It was not a defined benefit of the ST program.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), DL Gold (MM)
I am *S in TG's Royal Orchid Plus program and have been so pretty much since they added this "elite" level. It really doesn't give you much, an extra 10kg baggage allowance on TG is about the only thing that has been useful to me. If CO has watered down Silver, it's probably in line with the rest of *A.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
*Silver is nothing but a token status - it's always just been at a minimum for priority standby (which doesn't do much unless it's irrops on other airlines, since the US idea of standby is much more liberal than the rest of the world). Other airlines (such as UA/US) might be a bit more liberal (ie US Silvers can use UA elite lines and get priority boarding), but that's on a case-by-case basis.

Star Gold is a step up over ST Elite Plus (domestic lounge access if not a US/UA/CO elite, 3 bags, etc.), but ST Elite is a step up from *Silver (as ST E got you at least priority check-in/boarding).
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:18 am

But I could have swore that *S gave you a slight extra bag allowance, now that seems to be gone.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by ovenman
I am *S in TG's Royal Orchid Plus program and have been so pretty much since they added this "elite" level. It really doesn't give you much, an extra 10kg baggage allowance on TG is about the only thing that has been useful to me. If CO has watered down Silver, it's probably in line with the rest of *A.
My reference is NOT to CO Silver status (which by default is *S in *A) but to *S on the whole that it seems that pre-CO joining it had more benefits and with all the excitement with today's announcement that *S has been ENHANCED. (CO Speak for losing a benefit couched in a purported better benefit).

- HF
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
But I could have swore that *S gave you a slight extra bag allowance, now that seems to be gone.
I don't think that was ever the case.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't think that was ever the case.
Yes it was. It was a long time ago, but back in 2003 I was flying on a OK ticket, but had one segment operated by OS (a *A member) VIE-PRG-FRA; and we were slightly overweight and were going to be charged, however, my then GF was an AC Aeroplan Elite which was *S; and when we gave them the number it gave us an extra 10kg of baggage which helped us avoid the fee.

When CO was going to join *A I remembered this incident and checked to see if *S still had this benefit and it did. When I looked recently in anticipation of CO joining, it was gone.

It seems they took away the extra bag allowance and the priority baggage tagging.

- HF
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I'm just angry that CO no longer gives its own Silvers 70 pound bags...
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
There's no *A-wide extra baggage allowance, but some individual airlines will offer benefits to all *S members. UA for instance offer an extra bag in Economy for Silver, and don't charge them baggage fees on domestic flights either.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:29 pm

Please use this thread for all posts regarding OnePass Elite benefits within Star Alliance.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
On my UA flight JFK-LAX today I never got my upgrade as a CO plat... dubious start as far as I am concerned
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:40 pm

Which PC access cards are accepted at alliance clubs?

And do we have to be flying the partner's metal?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
On my UA flight JFK-LAX today I never got my upgrade as a CO plat... dubious start as far as I am concerned
CO elites are not getting free upgrades on UA flights (and vice versa) at this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.