Reload this Page >

The first annual Star Alliance Mega DO November 3rd thru 6 [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The first annual Star Alliance Mega DO November 3rd thru 6 [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 2:30 pm

I am too very interested to attend. I am also sending info the the airbusdo e=mail.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Shareholder
As noted in the general overview post, there are special fares available to FRA for this event from Canada (if you are not planning to take LH405 ex-JFK). Note that these fares are booked in a class that only earns 50% AE mileage, unlike the US originating fare that is a 100% earning class. Note also you can originate from the US on LH405, but return (on the same US fare and class) to one of LH's Canadian gateways since the return can be on any scheduled LH flight.
Thanks ^

On a sidenote: I attended the LAX Dinner with Cpt Flanagan last weekend and he mentioned that the fuel will be sponsored by Exxon Mobil. Now I see that there is a YQ charged - How does this pair ?

Last edited by skywalkerLAX; Jul 18, 2009 at 4:06 pm
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Thanks ^

On a sidenote: I attended the LAX Dinner with Cpt Flanagan last weekend and he mentioned that the fuel will be sponsored by Exxon Mobil. Now I see that there is a YQ charged - How does this pair ?
Assume he was talking about the fuel for the ORD-EWR special flight (if there is one put on for those of us starting at the UA Event) or the continental charter(s). However, LH405 is a regularly scheduled flight, so our fare is based on the lowest booking class LH can give us, along with the normal surcharges, fees and taxes. Based on a dummy booking I did on the LH site the other day, the current charges will add about U$290 to the sked flight.

NEED FURTHER CLARIFICATION THOUGH...

I'd like a clarification from someone about the LH transAt fare. From the details provided the fare is the same from any LH NAmerican gateway to FRA and/or MUC, and a stopover is permitted (at no additional charge?). So does that mean we can book JFK-FRA s/o FRA-MUC turnaround point MUC-NAmerica. I'd like to go to MUC after the Do for a couple of days, so if this is a correct interpretation of the fare rule, I don't have to pay additional for the FRA-MUC flight and can return to NAmerica from MUC (most likely via FRA since no Canadian cities are served by LH metal flights from any other German city).
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Assume he was talking about the fuel for the ORD-EWR special flight (if there is one put on for those of us starting at the UA Event) or the continental charter(s). However, LH405 is a regularly scheduled flight, so our fare is based on the lowest booking class LH can give us, along with the normal surcharges, fees and taxes. Based on a dummy booking I did on the LH site the other day, the current charges will add about U$290 to the sked flight.

I'd like a clarification from someone about the LH transAt fare. From the details provided the fare is the same from any LH NAmerican gateway to FRA and/or MUC, and a stopover is permitted (at no additional charge?). So does that mean we can book JFK-FRA s/o FRA-MUC turnaround point MUC-NAmerica. I'd like to go to MUC after the Do for a couple of days, so if this is a correct interpretation of the fare rule, I don't have to pay additional for the FRA-MUC flight and can return to NAmerica from MUC (most likely via FRA since no Canadian cities are served by LH metal flights from any other German city).
Additional segments on either the US or EU side of the pond are $150+ each.

Also, the original TATL fares didn't include ex-Canada while the current post (#2 in this thread) leaves that somewhat vague in that it says both yes and no for that.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:26 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'd like to go to MUC after the Do for a couple of days, so if this is a correct interpretation of the fare rule, I don't have to pay additional for the FRA-MUC flight and can return to NAmerica from MUC (most likely via FRA since no Canadian cities are served by LH metal flights from any other German city).
If you look at an example given by tommy777 in post #2, starting in NYC travelling to MUC after event, coming back to N.America after a stopover in MUC will add $150 to the fare and $127.80 to tax & YQ.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
can return to NAmerica from MUC (most likely via FRA since no Canadian cities are served by LH metal flights from any other German city).
Montreal is served nonstop and only from MUC I believe but other than that, you are correct....
Old Jul 18, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I for one would like to thank LH and the organizers for remembering the Canadians and allowing us to come home directly.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I see there are also one way fares published... could I use FRA-YVR as a one way on the return in C ?

Thanks to the organisation and ongoing infos, that must be a big pain in the rear conidering how long is this going on now ! ^
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Sent e-mail, waiting on password for the super-secret site.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:23 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
sounds tooo tempting ^

info sent per mail.

yes - finally i am interested
Old Jul 19, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan E
Originally Posted by sbm12
Also, the original TATL fares didn't include ex-Canada while the current post (#2 in this thread) leaves that somewhat vague in that it says both yes and no for that.
I think if you are leaving Canada, then you can only fly Economy in W class booking. This only accrues 50% miles. However if you fly from ex US, you are eligibile to fly under V for Economy booking and Z for Business Class and return to an airport in Canada flown by LH metal. I believe LH flies into YVR, YYZ and YYC from FRA and YUL from MUC with their own metal.

I see there are also one way fares published... could I use FRA-YVR as a one way on the return in C ?
I believe your tickets must be ex-US to purchase the FRA-YVR return in C (Z class booking)

You could get yourself to EWR/JFK from YVR on your own and then book the TATL portion as JFK-FRA, FRA-YVR and fly the JFK-FRA and FRA-YVR in Business class with a Z class booking or Economy Class with V Class Booking(100% miles accrued) or you could fly YVR-FRA and FRA-YVR (Or any other Canadian Cities to FRA) in Economy with a W Class booking (50% miles accrued)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by AC_flyer; Jul 19, 2009 at 8:02 am
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan E

I think in your case, if you are returning to YUL, then you could buy an OPEN-JAW (JFK-FRA and MUC-YUL) and purchase your own way from FRA to MUC on your own. Currently LH one way fares between FRA and MUC are CA$89 plus taxes coming to CA$156 on expedia. Or you could fly JFK-FRA, FRA-MUC and MUC-YUL for an additional US$150 plus taxes with your TATL portion.

I think we may need some clarification from Tommy and/or Oliver on if if this routing is valid as a straight TATL portion and single Open Jaw (JFK-FRA, MUC-YYZ via FRA)??? or do we need to pay an additional US$150 plus taxes for the MUC-FRA portion of the return. Reading the booking rules, I personally think you don't need to as the return fare is valid either ex FRA or ex-MUC.....

I hope we do not make both Tommy and Oliver insane with these questions

They have done a fantastic jobs organizing this Mega DO^^^
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: M&M SEN
I am in!

Email has been sent. Interested in all official DO flights, will start in FRA. ^
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you look at an example given by tommy777 in post #2, starting in NYC travelling to MUC after event, coming back to N.America after a stopover in MUC will add $150 to the fare and $127.80 to tax & YQ.
That's what I was seeking clarification about. The original thread's ticketing options says extra European segments are $150+fees/surcharges/taxes, but this is technically a stop-over within the context of a common rated ticket for FRA/MUC that provides a free stop-over. This would contradict the fare calculation that Tommy provided.

I know YUL is served non-stop from MUC by LH, but that would require purchasing a separate additional segment on AC between YUL and YYZ as YYZ would be my final destination (unless I decide to buy a RT YYZ-ORD-YYZ and do my LH return to ORD on that non-stop). Alternatively, may do an Open Jaw ex-Germany and take the train to MUC...a lot cheaper!
Old Jul 19, 2009, 11:44 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Thanks ^

This part was not supposed to get out -- yet. But since it has, we were working on getting Captain Flanagan to fly a 767 from EWR and use that for the charter. Now that this is not necessary, there are other things in the works, but Exxon Mobile is not a sponsor for this part.

That's what I was seeking clarification about. The original thread's ticketing options says extra European segments are $150+fees/surcharges/taxes, but this is technically a stop-over within the context of a common rated ticket for FRA/MUC that provides a free stop-over. This would contradict the fare calculation that Tommy provided.

I know YUL is served non-stop from MUC by LH, but that would require purchasing a separate additional segment on AC between YUL and YYZ as YYZ would be my final destination (unless I decide to buy a RT YYZ-ORD-YYZ and do my LH return to ORD on that non-stop). Alternatively, may do an Open Jaw ex-Germany and take the train to MUC...a lot cheaper!
To be honest with you, Oliver has edited the post for me as he is in charge of the TATL bookings. But I do agree it seems very unreasonable and I will revisit this with LH and do my best to get this fixed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.