Reload this Page >

The first annual Star Alliance Mega DO November 3rd thru 6 [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The first annual Star Alliance Mega DO November 3rd thru 6 [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:55 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Anyone staying at the Hilton O'Hare Monday night?

Giordano's certainly looks interesting but while Hooters would be reachable on foot from the Blue Line Cumberland station, it doesn't look as if you can walk to Giordano's from the Rosemont station. Although the actual distance is less than a mile Google Maps suggest a walk of 4.9 miles via I-190 E!

Considering the amount of £££ $$$ and €€€ I've already invested in this DO I don't know why I'm bothered about a cab ride of a few miles but it's a matter of principle. (Don't ask what principle! )

So anyone attending the pre-ORD Evening DO and staying at the Hilton O'Hare on Monday night or wanting to go from/get back to the airport and interested in sharing a cab ride?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Giordano's certainly looks interesting but while Hooters would be reachable on foot from the Blue Line Cumberland station, it doesn't look as if you can walk to Giordano's from the Rosemont station. Although the actual distance is less than a mile Google Maps suggest a walk of 4.9 miles via I-190 E!

Considering the amount of £££ $$$ and €€€ I've already invested in this DO I don't know why I'm bothered about a cab ride of a few miles but it's a matter of principle. (Don't ask what principle! )

So anyone attending the pre-ORD Evening DO and staying at the Hilton O'Hare on Monday night or wanting to go from/get back to the airport and interested in sharing a cab ride?
The satellite view of that station suggests that one can exit towards the airport end of the train, pass under the highway out to the parking lot and then walk along the sidewalks there for the ~.75 miles to get to the restaurant.

Or just take the free shuttle from the Westin or Marriott that the restaurant happens to share a parking lot with.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Safe walking is possible to both restaurants respectively from Rosemont and Cumberland subway stations. There are pedestrian pathways and then sidealks along the main roads, so I would not worry in that regard. (I always use such public transit so keep this in mind when planning any event, and I kept this in mind since we're all at different hotels around ORD.) Also, as noted, anyone starting at ORD itself -- or staying at one of the hotels in the other clusters of airport properties -- can actually just hop on the Westin shuttle for Giordano's if that's where we end up. (Note there are several Marriotts, one is down the road from Giordano's -- Marriott Suites -- and the other a block from Hooter's -- Marriott ORD.)

As for the Google Map directions, forget them. Most of the time I find these quite useless for pedestrians since they've been assembled from road directions for cars.

I think the furthest afield person wanting to join us is at the Four Points, which is indeed in another cluster of hotels about three miles away. This would require either a taxi or taking the hotel shuttle back to ORD and transferring to a Westin shuttle which might take an hour total with waiting times.

Last edited by Shareholder; Oct 21, 2009 at 7:50 pm
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:16 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Information to members originating in Oslo

All

For those of you originating at OSL, we have some news.

There will be a dedicated check in counter in the SAS Business/Premium check in area for our flight

Look for DE9254 on the TV screens over the counters to located the special event counter.

Check in is open from 0700 to 0730. You will be directed to a bus gate and bussed over to the SAS Hangar and the party will begin.

PS! There will be no way to check any bags for the charter. Please pack a carry on suitcase and bring it on board (only possible for OSL originating passengers). Please bring your passport.

If you originate in Frankfurt, do NOT bring any carry on luggage, there will be storage at the hotel if you are not staying at the Sheraton Frankfurt
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Camera bags OK, no?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
Camera bags OK, no?
Parts of the journey doesn't allow cameras to be brought, so that means your camera/iPhone and other devices containing cameras, will be laying on the plane unattended for the duration of the Airbus stop.

We will have a professional DO photographer who will capture everything, so I ask you please, don't bring heavy camera equipment. If you plan on bringing a camera, please bring a compact one and be prepared to leave it on the plane.

We just don't have time and need to avoid 229 SLRs and bloggers running around. Focus on having a good time and the event will be covered by CNN, WSJ and others
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by tommy777
Parts of the journey doesn't allow cameras to be brought, so that means your camera/iPhone and other devices containing cameras, will be laying on the plane unattended for the duration of the Airbus stop.

We will have a professional DO photographer who will capture everything, so I ask you please, don't bring heavy camera equipment. If you plan on bringing a camera, please bring a compact one and be prepared to leave it on the plane.
Noted. ^
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Just to clarify: The reason why we have these restrictions is that we don't want people to loose their property. Most of us has a hotel room in Frankfurt and it's just better that people bring their id and a little camera for the day. No need for money, reading material, Ipods or other gadgets
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
reading material
Are people expecting to get so bored they'll need to read a book?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:48 pm

Does this include regular mobile phones as well? If yes, are mobile phones without cameras allowed?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:48 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Just to clarify: The reason why we have these restrictions is that we don't want people to loose their property. Most of us has a hotel room in Frankfurt and it's just better that people bring their id and a little camera for the day. No need for money, reading material, Ipods or other gadgets
Amex - never leave home without it, There's a gift shop at the Airbus factory view the stuff online at http://www.taxiway.fr/
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
No need for money...
Is it fair to assume we're not expected to tip the FAs?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Does this include regular mobile phones as well? If yes, are mobile phones without cameras allowed?
If they have the same policy as Boeing (and I suspect that they do) no cell phones -- period. Will check, though

Originally Posted by lili
Amex - never leave home without it, There's a gift shop at the Airbus factory view the stuff online at http://www.taxiway.fr/
Amex -- not accepted most places in Europe .

Sure, feel free to bring your plastic for the gift shop, but it's not on the schedule as of today
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Got a PM from someone who suggested we might find GIORDANO'S a more interesting and city-appropriate venue. It is home to the deep dish pizza that Chicago is famous for, and the menu looks diverse enough to handle any dietary issues.

www.giordanos.com/about.php

It is also located closer to the main cluster of ORD hotels, at W Higgins and North River rds. So can I ask that those who are planning to be at ORD and join us, please PM which restaurant you'd prefer and I will post a decision next week.
Pizza takes 45 minutes to cook , but it is goooooooood
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
If they have the same policy as Boeing (and I suspect that they do) no cell phones -- period. Will check, though

Amex -- not accepted most places in Europe .

Sure, feel free to bring your plastic for the gift shop, but it's not on the schedule as of today
But at Boeing , they let you bring your camera around and take pictures, and tell you where cameras are forbidden.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.