Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Island Do IV - Even longer days on Shetland 25-27th June 2010

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Just send them an e-mail from their site and I would bet that they will have a single (or a broom closet) for sale.

At any rate, we certainly do think that it will be an interesting weekend meeting the to this point elusive Mrs.sbm12 and just as interesting, to see sbm12 on different behavior than seems to be his standard on some of his solo trips as described elsewhere on this site.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by monitor
Just send them an e-mail from their site and I would bet that they will have a single (or a broom closet) for sale.

At any rate, we certainly do think that it will be an interesting weekend meeting the to this point elusive Mrs.sbm12 and just as interesting, to see sbm12 on different behavior than seems to be his standard on some of his solo trips as described elsewhere on this site.
I highly doubt sbm12 will be any better behaved even with Mrs. sbm12 along with him. I still have my doubts as to if she actually exists... all the more reason for me to keep trying to attend this Do if at all possible!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
ok, I've finally admitted defeat that Henry III is coming

Right, so next time, book my own room before announcing to all and sundry where I'm going!

I'm working on a plan B for accommodation.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wijomas
I still have my doubts as to if she actually exists...
So does Franny.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life; BAEC Gold Guest List; Accor Gold.
Originally Posted by Jenbel
ok, I've finally admitted defeat that Henry III is coming .
Diolch yn fawr*, my good Moderatrix**!

Right, so next time, book my own room before announcing to all and sundry where I'm going!

Ssshhh!

-- Happier Henry

* That's an expression of gratitude in an ancient, Celtic language.
** Working along the lines: Executor->Executrix, Aviator->Aviatrix, Dominator-> ... well, you get the picture!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
Were you able to use their online booking engine or di you have to ring them directly for the booking?
I was unable to use their online booking engine, so I booked through www.agoda.com . £98 / single room.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

Jenbel - You haven't booked your own room yet? The least I can do, as you're the DO organizer, is offer you my (single) room. I'll pitch a tent by the North Sea, or await Plan B.

I've learnt from prior Island DOs, don't procrastinate, as there may be limited flight and hotel availability.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

ok, I've finally admitted defeat that Henry III is coming

Come join me at The Shetland Hotel. As you know I don't suffer carbuncles well so could use the moral support
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:43 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by monitor

She exists and is looking forward to meeting everyone. Her presence, however, is unlikely to change my behaviour too much. I'll still be loud, drunk and jovial.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Prospero
Come join me at The Shetland Hotel. As you know I don't suffer carbuncles well so could use the moral support
Well Shetland could be an option. But I have a call back promised tomorrow from a discrete country residence with a good menu, local produce and they host birdwatching groups

Restless - it's fine. We'll start FT Do hotel cluster 2!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:34 am

Lerwick's filling up with FTers!

OK, so I got over my spite (thanks, monitor!), accepted that I've been accepted (thanks, Jenbel) and went ahead and booked a room...

So, I'm gonna be in the Shetland Hotel, which is the one opposite the port, I believe (thanks, Prospero, and I'll try not to be too much of a carbuncle). And, in a peculiar reversal of fate, I think I just grabbed the last single room available! (Sorry, Jenbel - do you have a Plan C?)

-- Housed Henry
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:22 pm

We're confirmed!

I've booked our LHR-ABZ-LSI flights (arriving on BE6774, same as restlessinRNO) and will confirm the reward seats across the pond in the morning. I am considering releasing our room at the Kveldsro, a double at ~GBP110/night, in favor of something else a bit less expensive in the area as we've decided to extend this trip a full extra week and I've got to make the travel budget stretch. If anyone is interested in taking that room let me know and we can coordinate the switch.

We're likely staying on in Lerwick until Monday morning and flying out to Kirkwall around 7:30am.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:37 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
This event isn't looking good for me, but I'm still trying. Below is an out-of-town B&B in the Lerwick area. Requires car, I think, but attractive and very reasonable:
--------------------------------

"Thank you for your email.

We have availability for a single room on 25th & 26th June. We can reserve this room for you on your reply. The price is £55 per night B&B. Please note directions to the house on our wesite www.bedandbreakfastlerwick.co.uk/location. We appreciate advance notice of your time of arrival.

We look forward to hearing from you

regards

Douglas and Kathleen Simpson
[email protected]
Westhall, Lower Sound, Lerwick, ZE1 0RN
Telephone 01595 694247"
Old Mar 18, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA back down to Blue, PC Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
We're confirmed!

I've booked our LHR-ABZ-LSI flights (arriving on BE6774, same as restlessinRNO) and will confirm the reward seats across the pond in the morning. I am considering releasing our room at the Kveldsro, a double at ~GBP110/night, in favor of something else a bit less expensive in the area as we've decided to extend this trip a full extra week and I've got to make the travel budget stretch. If anyone is interested in taking that room let me know and we can coordinate the switch.

We're likely staying on in Lerwick until Monday morning and flying out to Kirkwall around 7:30am.
If anyone needed it confirming, the Kveldsro is pretty much certainly the best hotel in Lerwick, and priced accordingly. Some of the rooms are very nice indeed.

The Shetland Hotel - well, who knows, it might have improved since the last time I stayed there. Stalinist concrete architecture. Close the bar when *they* feel like it. Perhaps the 70s furniture in the rooms has been replaced by now and the light fittings cleaned so it's not all yellow and dim. I still remember the liver in lime sauce :-(
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by NSFU
...I still remember the liver in lime sauce :-(
Sounds just about right for us lily-livered limeys!

I was supposed to stay the night there some years ago, en route back from Iceland (back in the days when the Good Ship "M.V. Norrona" still called at Lerwick), but we were 17 hours late arriving, so I never had the pleasure. But it does look a bit grim from the outside, I agree.

-- Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.