Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:18 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Itsalongwaydown
It is possible to survive such traumas as we did so in Hobart this year. ^
I could always pack a pup tent.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
I'll be gold for now... and hope last minute changes don't scuttle the plans as with CHC Do this year..
Old Oct 5, 2008, 8:30 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I won't be able to make it for this do in my old stomping grounds - hope y'all have fun. Don't forget another more luxe hotel option is the hotel d'urville: http://www.durville.com

The restaurant there is pretty good too (thought it has been a while since I ate there, so things may have changed), while Wairau River is probably the most reliable of the vineyard restaurants.

I trust someone will say hello to my beloved vineyards/wineries for me! In particular Seresin, Isabel, Villa Maria, Wither Hills and Vavasour.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:33 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Bronze for me +1

Interested but will most likely take our car on the ferry.
I reccommend that one dinner should be had at. Bacchus, I cannot find a website but here is one review site.
www.menumania.co.nz bacchus
Suggestions on activities.
activities marlborough
End of November is one of the busiest months for me.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 6:13 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Please put me down as a Gold at this early stage.

I do not see any clashes in the calendar and I should be able to upgrade to Platinum once I have flights and accommodation booked sometime in the New Year. Will have to try and earn as many QFF points as possible and the ferry across from Wellington maybe well be an option....
Old Oct 18, 2008, 4:14 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Please put me down as a gold - just waiting on the airlines to open up award availability for around then.

Had a blast at KIWI DO 1 - sorry I missed out on 2 (same time as Oktoberfest)
Old Oct 18, 2008, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
Sean - it would be great to see you in Kiwiland again!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:27 am

What happened to a Silver list? Unless Silver looks too much like Platinum....... Also, although most of us might be ow, as a Kiwi Do, wouldn't it make more sense to try using NZ Airpoints ranks?

Anyway, I digress......

Put me down on the "maybe" section (i.e. Bronze). I'm not sure how things are going to be in Nov next year, but I would seriously like to try and attend this Do. NZ is a great, picturesque place. I couldn't make the Kiwi Do 2008, but I would like to try to go to this one as it's not somewhere I would have thought of going myself, so it's even better when you're with friends.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 5:53 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Mr and Mrs harryhv will be very pleased to be there.

We had a trip to BHE last November courtesy of "that" UA C fare and enjoyed it immensely. Stayed at the Scenic Circle, a good rate via Zuji.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This is very much on our radar. We had a great time last May in AKL (with special thanks to KiwiFlyer) and the North Island that a trip to the South Island and its wine country is more than tempting.

Let us see if something can be finagled when the awards come out next month or if there is a fare sale or another mistake fare during the next year.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
Will look into this ... am very interested, but late year dates often clash ...
I'm planning to try and make use of the really cheap standard MEL/AKL fares that are currently available and may make a bit more of a trip of this than normal.

As oneworld do not fly to BHE () I'm thinking of spending a few days in travelling; from Auckland fly, train (or drive via Rotarua) to Wellington, take the ferry to picton, then bus/train/drive to Blenheim for the do. Afterwards, drive/train onward to Christchurch, then fly back to AKL then home.

The train timetable indicates south is a far more civilised way to go timewise.

Any thoughts/suggestions with this?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Train is not very reliable between Auckland and Wellington (and I assume also in the South Island) so I wouldn't plan for a tight schedule. Nonetheless, it is a great way to see the wonderful countryside without the driving. If you are planning on spending a reasonable amount of time (more than just a few days) in addition to the do, then driving gives much more options.

In late November/early December, driving conditions should generally be okay.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 4:58 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
I'm planning to try and make use of the really cheap standard MEL/AKL fares that are currently available and may make a bit more of a trip of this than normal.

As oneworld do not fly to BHE () I'm thinking of spending a few days in travelling; from Auckland fly, train (or drive via Rotarua) to Wellington, take the ferry to picton, then bus/train/drive to Blenheim for the do. Afterwards, drive/train onward to Christchurch, then fly back to AKL then home.

The coast road (and the train follows this for a lot of the way) between BHE and CHC is ok, but nothing sensational.

Kaikoura has a spectacular outlook (2600m mountains just back from the sea) and I have heard good things about their aquatic pursuits (whale watching etc.) but can't comment from experience on those.

If coming down the coast by car, you can detour easily to Hanmer Springs, which is worth a visit and a dip.

Alternatively you could drive from BHE across to Nelson and drive 'down the middle' which would see you coming through Hanmer Springs to CHC.

Having travelled both via the coast and inland, I'd drive Blenheim-Nelson-down the middle to Springs Junction-Hanmer Springs-detour to Kaikoura-Christchurch. Depends how much time you have I guess.

Cannot comment on the train (haven't travelled it).

Hopefully we will both be at KM Do Toru!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 5:12 am

I've done the train WLG-AKL and the train Greymouth-CHC. Have driven CHC-Greymouth and driven around decent amounts of the North/South Island as well. Have also done the ferry.

The AKL-WLG train is a long day, but a reasonable trip. Only a few very scenic points on the trip. About the same or cheaper to fly between the two.

There are rail passes you can buy for reasonable amounts if you'll be training a lot.

Pls put me down as a Bronze . I don't think I can make it, but will keep trying.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:26 pm

Programs: Air NZ.
Put me down as a Gold +1 at this early stage. Mrs TiggerK and I were sad at not making the CHC do, but this one looks very feasible as my sister lives there and it's a great place to visit, especially for wine lovers like me!!

My brother-in-law is a winemaker there, so might look into any possibilities for an FT behind the scenes tour etc....

Beech 1900D planes are the norm flying into there, little 19 seaters, always fun especially in a strong wind out of WLG....

Looking forward to meeting you all.....

Cheers
TiggerK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.