Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Former high school debaters, I know you're out there.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Former high school debaters, I know you're out there.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2008, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bobsgt

Who had ever heard of East Timor before the topic "Resolved: That the United States should significantly reduce it's arms sales to other countries."

*OK- Let's dust off the NFL (Nat'l Forensic League) double ruby pins
I remember that topic well!!! I still have my pins somewhere. Also, we received letters for debate and speech and I'm sure those are somewhere in my garage.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 6:42 pm

Rock Bridge Sr High. Missouri has a rule where you can't travel more than 250 miles out of state during the school year so we would never leave the state. MO also had their own resolution for LD.

I was LD/Extemporaneous/tried radio for my 1 year.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: yes
Originally Posted by baglady
I remember that topic well!!! I still have my pins somewhere. Also, we received letters for debate and speech and I'm sure those are somewhere in my garage.
LETTERS for Debate? WOW! All our team got was a '77 Dodge passenger van that always used three quarts of oil between Yucaipa and San Francisco. Thank god we could stop in Buttonwillow and buy more oil on the school district's gas card!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Clear Lake H.S. (Houston, TX) 1998-2001
THE University of Texas, 2001-2002

All CX, I don't know about that policy debate...
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; UA 2P
La Reina High School in California (1994-1998), mostly extemporaneous events, three rounds of JV LD, and two years of policy (CX) debate
Harvard University - just a year on the CX team before realizing I was way too behind and didn't have the time or talent to catch up.

Currently also dating someone I met through debate! Colleyville in TX for HS and Georgetown for college.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by colpuck
All CX, I don't know about that policy debate...
I just call it policy because ALL debate has cross examination, so I never understood why it was called that.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, season pass holder to all the places the kids want to go
Originally Posted by Wainwright
None in high school but...

UCSD Parli 2001 - 04
I assume this is UCSD as in UC San Diego?

I didn't debate in high school, but graduated from UC San Diego in 1992 after having debated for San Diego State 90-92. UC San Diego didn't have a debate program at the time, so I audited one class at SDSU to qualify as a student there to debate for them.

UCSD's lack of a debate program ended up working well for me, as I met my now-husband on the SDSU debate team. ^
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by michellemck99
UCSD's lack of a debate program ended up working well for me, as I met my now-husband on the SDSU debate team. ^
I met my husband of 23 years at the California State High School Speech Championship at San Jose State in 1980. When I tell my freshmen about what debate can do for them I never fail to mention that they may find a future spouse.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:59 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Not a debater but forensics during 3 years of undergrad at Miami University (Ohio) - specializing in impromptu/extemporaneous/informative speaking events. Lots of trophies and our novice team got to go to Nationals!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ldsant
Not a debater but forensics
Ditto. 2 years (1977-1979) at Sylvania Southview. One year of Dramatic Interp and one year of Original Oratory.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
Originally Posted by michellemck99
I assume this is UCSD as in UC San Diego?

I didn't debate in high school, but graduated from UC San Diego in 1992 after having debated for San Diego State 90-92. UC San Diego didn't have a debate program at the time, so I audited one class at SDSU to qualify as a student there to debate for them.
Yes it does! I think it started sometime in the late 90's. The program (as are the rest of the UC schools I believe) is completely student run. When I graduated in 2005 it was still going so I hope it is now. Glad t hear that it worked out for you.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
In a small Wisconsin town, I debated my Sophomore and Junior years. The first year we advocated leisure education and the second year I debated on the negative side.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sunnyhere
The first year we advocated leisure education and the second year I debated on the negative side.
Wow! I've always heard about the places where they have four person teams (with debaters specializing in a single side of the topic). I've never actually met anyone who did it. Does the idea of switch sides debate (which is most common) seem bizarre to you?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

Ever so many years ago when I debated, novice debaters debated one side of the question for the year. Advanced debaters did switch side debating.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 8:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by lexdevil
... Does the idea of switch sides debate (which is most common) seem bizarre to you?
Yes.
Ever so many years ago when I debated, novice debaters debated one side of the question for the year. Advanced debaters did switch side debating.
We used the same system throughout high school. Keep in mind this was some time ago and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.