San Francisco Do 2007: September 14-16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Do 2007: September 14-16

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2007, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by flyinryan
The Bay Area's greatest baseball team, The Oakland A's will be taking on the Texas Rangers at the Coliseum that weekend. How bout a FT sub-Do at the ballpark for those interested baseball fans? Depending on the numbers, we can get some group seats, or if we are feeling spendy, a suite (they are cheaper than you think.)
Oh, and yeah, I'm totally in (work schedule allowing, of course.)
greatest baseball team? I'm sure some of my friends that bleed the black and orange would turn your body into those colors for that comment

Could always get a box out on the horrible Mt. Davis... after he ruined that really nice view the A's had for that hideous monstrosity.
Old May 22, 2007, 9:46 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Count me in also. Not sure exactly which parts, but definitely want to be some part of this!
Old May 22, 2007, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
Originally Posted by civicmon
greatest baseball team? I'm sure some of my friends that bleed the black and orange would turn your body into those colors for that comment

Could always get a box out on the horrible Mt. Davis... after he ruined that really nice view the A's had for that hideous monstrosity.
ok, thems fight'in words! The sucky Giants will be out of town, losing I'm sure, so we have to defer to the future Silicon Valley Athletics of Fremont.

While I love the A's, I stopped short of suggesting we drag people over to Oakland. I mean, it's bad enough some folks might actually have to use OAK to get here, let alone go back again to see a ballgame...

Of course, if it works out, I certainly wouldn't mind a Sunday afternoon at the ballpark. I'll take a look.

Last edited by Wireless; May 22, 2007 at 10:15 pm
Old May 22, 2007, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Less than twelve hours of sign-up and we have 30 people between the confirmed and definite maybe list! Keep it up! ^
Old May 22, 2007, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
I'll skip the baseball, thanks. Yes, it's heresy, but I just don't really follow sports and find baseball especially boring. (Even the couple of times I've been to catered suites, I basically just spent the entire time eating and talking with everyone else. And yes, I know that's the point of baseball. )

BTW, for planning dinner, might I suggest Indian this time around? There are dozens of great Indian restaurants to choose from all over the Bay Area (especially in Berkeley). But if that won't sit too well with people, we can always go to the world-famous Stinking Rose and eat more garlic than we thought possible... it's pricey but oh-so-tasty.

And heck, I could always just throw a BBQ at my place. Of course, parking is a pain, but it could be arranged if people carpool...
Old May 22, 2007, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arrow

Speaking of restaurants: a major concern of ours is the restaurant for dinner on Saturday night, which should be our "main event." We really need suggestions for a place that we could essentially "rent out" for the night. Obviously looking for a decent place, preferrably not ridiculously expensive, but the important part is that they can make room for a VERY big party (don't want to guess numbers yet, but bigger than any of the other dinners we have had in SF). It would be ideal if they would shut down so we have the place to ourselves. If anyone has any ideas, please post them here or PM myself, Wireless, or xj47. Thanks!
Old May 22, 2007, 10:36 pm

Has anyone invited sf4dfish and kevino? They were at the Dim Sum DO and might be interested. PTravel has defected to SoCal but might be persuaded to come up... I also think KathyWdrf, BayAreaPilot, and berkeleyguy3 live locally, in case someone wants to page them for this thread.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
It would be ideal if they would shut down so we have the place to ourselves. If anyone has any ideas, please post them here or PM myself, Wireless, or xj47. Thanks!
Well, if people are up for Indian, I can check with one of my local faves around here. They know me by name and might be willing to shut the place down for us. However, it is in the Rockridge area of Oakland, i.e. people would need to BART or drive over here. (But it's a nice neighborhood! )

I also know a couple of great Thai and Chinese places in Albany (next town north of Berkeley), but again that would require cars (or BART+car).

If we intend only to stick to places in The City, I guess I don't know of any good places besides the Stinking Rose (yummmm) and Calzone's (across the street), and a place or two by Fisherman's Wharf that are more than big enough to handle us (without shutting down).
Old May 22, 2007, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cepheid
Has anyone invited sf4dfish and kevino? They were at the Dim Sum DO and might be interested. PTravel has defected to SoCal but might be persuaded to come up... I also think KathyWdrf, BayAreaPilot, and berkeleyguy3 live locally, in case someone wants to page them for this thread.
I have already "paged" most of those people. Will PM the two that I have not yet PM'ed and let them know. I encourage everyone to get the word out, be it via PM or changing your signature.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:43 pm

So Ben, how exactly can you take a week or more off of school to do this plus New Zealand? Or are you telecommuting to school that week?
Old May 22, 2007, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

that are more than big enough to handle us (without shutting down).
Just to be clear, our first SF Dinner had around 60 people, and that wasn't even with an associated Do. My **hope** is that this will be substantially bigger, as in at least three digits. We have almost another four months, and we already have 30 people in the first 12 hours, so I would expect that number to get a lot higher.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:46 pm

My **hope** is that this will be substantially bigger, as in at least three digits.
Well, restaurants around Fisherman's Wharf are pretty darn big, they're built for the tourist crowd. But I'll keep that in mind.

Too bad we don't have any 300-seater lobster shacks like in Maine or NH... now THOSE can fit a crowd. (Of course, they also use only disposable utensils/dinnerware.)

A word of caution, getting too big a crowd will severely limit our dining options... in the end, we might just want to rent a hotel ballroom and bring in catering!
Old May 22, 2007, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So Ben, how exactly can you take a week or more off of school to do this plus New Zealand? Or are you telecommuting to school that week?
Believe it or not, the time commonly known as mid May through late August is known as summer, so not missing much!
Old May 22, 2007, 10:49 pm

Believe it or not, the time commonly known as mid May through late August is known as summer, so not missing much!
Yessss.... but the time known as mid-September, for when this DO is being scheduled, is commonly known as fall semester. Plus, isn't your AKL trip also right around then?

EDIT: Whoops, I misunderstood about NZ... that trip is next week, not September. D'oh!

But this DO still falls during your semester, so the question stands.

(And yes, this thread is my ticket to Evangelist status! )
Old May 22, 2007, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yessss.... but the time known as mid-September, for when this DO is being scheduled, is commonly known as fall semester. Plus, isn't your AKL trip also right around then?
My NZ trip starts this Saturday, actually. Lucky will be semi-FTless for over two weeks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.