Boycott the Vote!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boycott the Vote!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recognize that the intent of the logo was to promote voter participation.

However an unintended consequence of that initiative was to infringe upon the principle of voter anonymity.

The avatar should not have been set to default mode. It should have been set to an option to advertize and promote voter participation.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
In the US, when you go to vote, they give you a sticker that says, "I voted". You're not forced to wear it, but most citizens are *proud* to vote, and display it so. I guess from your reaction it's not the same up north.

As Canarsie has pointed out, you can turn this avatar off, so I don't see what the issue is.

For an American to set the standards for any democracy with respect to voting is a huge April Fools Joke. Your country set the standard for rendering the very concept of democracy meaningless with the 2000 Presidential vote where the candidate receiving the most votes lost! Not only that, the Supreme Court intervened to stop any true vote in a state that could have changed the final results...and led to a change in the ultimate results.

And now the world knows the scandal of turning over voting to private corporations that make machines that can be tampered with and leave no evidence trace!

Further, the USA is the only country that requires those wishing to vote to register the party they intend to support!

I suggest this decision by FT reeks of this same self-serving hippocracy. If you need stickers and stars to prove you're a good citizen, then go back to kindergarten. I stand by my original complaint that this is a violation of personal privacy and yet one more "enhancement" to FT that needs serious reconsideration.

I am going to vote today, but not for the FT board...but rather in my local civic elections. And I don't need a "good citizen" sticker to praise me for doing this... This is not Iraq or any country that requires your thumb to be ink stained to prevent double voting. This is plain insensitivity and stupidy.

And I still have not had an answer as to who's idea this was and when it was passed by the current TalkBoard.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Shareholder
For an American to set the standards for any democracy with respect to voting is a huge April Fools Joke. Your country set the standard for rendering the very concept of democracy meaningless with the 2000 Presidential vote where the candidate receiving the most votes lost! Not only that, the Supreme Court intervened to stop any true vote in a state that could have changed the final results...and led to a change in the ultimate results.

And now the world knows the scandal of turning over voting to private corporations that make machines that can be tampered with and leave no evidence trace!

Further, the USA is the only country that requires those wishing to vote to register the party they intend to support!

I suggest this decision by FT reeks of this same self-serving hippocracy. If you need stickers and stars to prove you're a good citizen, then go back to kindergarten. I stand by my original complaint that this is a violation of personal privacy and yet one more "enhancement" to FT that needs serious reconsideration.

I am going to vote today, but not for the FT board...but rather in my local civic elections. And I don't need a "good citizen" sticker to praise me for doing this... This is not Iraq or any country that requires your thumb to be ink stained to prevent double voting. This is plain insensitivity and stupidy.

And I still have not had an answer as to who's idea this was and when it was passed by the current TalkBoard.
I believe Randy indicated that he wanted a way to let people know that voting had started.

I find much of the other comments in your post to be knee jerk rhetoric. The phrase, "Making a mountain out of a mole hill" comes to mind.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can the avatar not be set as a default mode?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Could I just remind people that FT is not a country and therefore trying to suggest that elections should be done in the same way as would be carried out in the US of A is simply incredulous. For one, we are not all American! (I am well aware that some posters complaining are not American either)

Finally, could I remind some of you that in some western democracies, one is required to vote by law (Donkey votes however are accepted).

Personally I think the idea to publish who has voted is fantastic as it does mobilise the general community to vote. It’s not as if the board is publishing who you have voted for anyhow.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
I think it worthy to continue to get the vote out....
Agreed. Thanks for your and your staff's creativity.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm in favor of it. Too many people don't even know there's an election going on. ^^
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
Originally Posted by airbus320
Regretably, is is not a joke.

In democratic elections, public disclosure of who voted and who has not voted is probihited by law. Your vote and the fact that you even voted is considerated private. There is no disclosure of those who votes and those who choose not to vote.

While the 'voted logo' has probably the intention to rallying the voting population to get out and vote, this measure has the consequence of revealing to the public eye who has not voted. This measure is an invasion of my privacy....

and I therefore protest the use of this logo.
as pointed out by others in many, if not all U.S. jursidictions this is not true.
In N.Y. not only is whether you voted or not public information but so is your voter registration..ie republican, democrat, independent etc.

I do not agree with this policy and agree that it is an invasion of privacy, however you can't say that it is prohibited by law, at least in the U.S.

Last edited by nytango; Nov 13, 2006 at 10:49 am
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
I say more choices of Avatars! ^
These are good, but maybe a nice Uncle Sam head would do the trick!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
The USA as a whole does not require this, some states do. I started a thread here to discuss voter identification, so as to keep this thread on-topic.

Originally Posted by shareholder
You may want to look upthread to post 13.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
How do I get rid of the "I voted twice" avatar?

And when is that free turkey gonna arrive?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Teacher49
How do I get rid of the "I voted twice" avatar?

And when is that free turkey gonna arrive?
go to MyFlyerTalk and then click on Edit Avatar
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The current Talkboard was not consulted on this idea, but if we were I would have supported it 100%. All this talk about laws, democracy and privacy are just plain silly. Comparing this to presidential elections, or any other government election for that matter borders on insanity.

Who on earth cares whether or not you voted in the Flyertalk Talkboard election? Personally I think the avatar is great, and I am proud to show that I did my small part in helping make FT a better place.
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Until I read this post, I was open-minded about the issue. Now, however, I'm taking the avatars to be akin to getting ink on the finger when voting. People that want to hide the ink on their finger have to either wear a glove or wait for it to disappear over time. I consider the post in this thread about removing the avatar to be akin to that glove-wearing or gradual disappearance.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:54 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
To be perfecty honest, until I saw Shareholder's post I didn't even notice it. Now that I do (notice it ), I don't see what the big deal is about. I voted, and if the fact that there is something making note that, causes someone else to vote... so much the better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.