Wiki Posts
Search

Origins of the "do"?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA MP1P. [About to donate all my miles to Hero Miles.]
Origins of the "do"?

Please don't smite me; I am curious to know the origins of the use of the word "do" (or "doo") to signify in-person meets. I've belonged to several online communities over the years, but this is the only place that has a unique name for the meets.

Thanks.

PS: I'm just waiting for a get-together on a cruise or something just so you can call it a "sea doo".
Old Jan 18, 2005, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Traveliter
Please don't smite me; I am curious to know the origins of the use of the word "do" (or "doo") to signify in-person meets. I've belonged to several online communities over the years, but this is the only place that has a unique name for the meets.

Thanks.

PS: I'm just waiting for a get-together on a cruise or something just so you can call it a "sea doo".
This question has been asked numerous times over the years. Seems that it never occurs to some folks to check the dictionary! @:-) Yes, just an ordinary dictionary of the English (or American) language, such as www.m-w.com. In it, you'll learn that one meaning of the word "do" (as a noun) is a "festive get-together" or "party."

As for the suggestion about a "Sea Doo," guess you never noticed that there has been one of those every year for the last several years. It's held in Seattle. There's a current thread on the upcoming one very close by on this forum. @:-)
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
When I hear the word "Do" on FlyerTalk, I always think of Catman, the originator of the FlyerTalk "Do".

Back in, I believe, October of 1999 Catman had the first official FlyerTalk event which was tagged a "Do". It was a fairly small party in NYC. IIRC, it was attended by Catman, Bukey, AnnaS, PremEx, essxjay (very briefly), Burkey, FlyMe2, me and my employee Andrea--we were in town on business. The following year, was the first big Catman Do II, a/k/a Catman Deux. Catman Dos were always spectacular.

The first organized FlyerTalk party in Seattle was in September of 1999, organized by MileageAddict and me and it was not called a "Do" just a party. The second Seattle party, held in 2000, and that was the first official "Sea Do".

The PIP (Party in Paradise) was held in Honolulu in November of 1999 and it was not called a "Do", but it certainly was a magical and wonderful event. The internet abounds with photos, many thanks to PremEx.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:33 pm

Everything you've ever wanted to know about DOs, etc:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193387
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Thanks, mashav for helping me remember all of that.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Dup.

Have no clue how that happened.

Last edited by Punki; Jan 19, 2005 at 4:08 am
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I have, apparently, offended two F/Ters with what I originally posted here.

Not at all wishing to sully the board with my lewd innuendos, I have thus removed it.

Last edited by Dovster; Jan 22, 2005 at 2:41 pm
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Seems that it never occurs to some folks to check the dictionary!
I already knew the use of "do" in this reference; I was specifically interested to know how it came to be that the FT meets received that particular moniker.

It looks like the final answer in this case is that someone came up with it for no specific reason, and it stuck! Thanks all!
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster

deleted quote as original post was edited - ralfkrippner, moderator

Last edited by ralfkrippner; Jan 26, 2005 at 4:28 am
Old Jan 19, 2005, 4:14 am
Suspended

I would suspect, Traveliter, that the name stuck for the specific reason that it was a funny take off on Kathmandu. Odd that the Dovster didn't pick up on that one.

OBTW, Dovster, I am beginning to suspect that, if you live long enough, that you will become a classic "dirty old man". You are so lucky to have friends old enough to consider you a "dirty young man".

Last edited by Punki; Jan 19, 2005 at 4:16 am
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
This question has been asked numerous times over the years. Seems that it never occurs to some folks to check the dictionary! @:-)

I forget we all aren't as brilliant as you.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Punki
I would suspect, Traveliter, that the name stuck for the specific reason that it was a funny take off on Kathmandu. Odd that the Dovster didn't pick up on that one.

OBTW, Dovster, I am beginning to suspect that, if you live long enough, that you will become a classic "dirty old man". You are so lucky to have friends old enough to consider you a "dirty young man".
I googled "dirty old man" because I was curious as to whether the term had anything to do with age. Big mistake.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:45 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Punki
The first organized FlyerTalk party in Seattle was in September of 1999, organized by MileageAddict and me and it was not called a "Do" just a party. The second Seattle party, held in 2000, and that was the first official "Sea Do".
The annual Seattle Party was not named Sea-Do until the 3rd year in 2001.

This year will be the 7th year running
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More Doody Info From The Archives

From yet another past thread on the origin of "Do's" in the particular context of FlyerTalk:

FlyerTalk History and context lesson:

Yes, the "do" part of the Catman Do was always used and derived from it's proper context as defined in the dictionary meaning party, but there is more to the story...

And that began with the "Catman Do" which was a play on words of the name of the famous capital of Nepal...Katmandu.

"Catman Do" meaning Catman's party.

After the successes of the Catman Do's, the word "do" sorta just became synonymous with FlyerTalk parties in particular, with many other folks calling their get togethers "do's" as a "tip 'o the hat" to the Catman Do's. Just as "PIPs" became synonymous with large organized FlyerTalk gatherings after the success and popularity of the Party In Paradise of 1999.

And that's what I think doc meant when he attributed the "do's" of FlyerTalk to Catman.

So, the word "do" did not originate on FlyerTalk, of course. But it's popular usage to describe FlyerTalk-specific get togethers, did originate with the Catman Do's.

BTW, the second Catman Do was called the Catman Do Deux. Deux being French for 2. Catman Do Deux being pronounced as Catman Doo Doo, or Catman Poop.

There will be a quiz on this next week.

And pinniped...Thank You for your question! For more information, you can read about the last Catman Do event, the Catman Do Trois, at:

http://members.aol.com/millionmileflyer/catmando3.html
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by techgirl

I forget we all aren't as brilliant as you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.