Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Happy 5th Anniversary PIPsters!

Old Nov 6, 04, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It was exactly 5 years ago today that a large group of FlyerTalkers, most who had never met in person before, hopped on airplanes and came from all over the world to the island paradise of Hawaii to meet and party at the first large FlyerTalk gathering...the Party In Paradise.

I remember so well in these early days of the internet and FlyerTalk, how many attendees mentioned to me how nervous they were at going to an event and meeting people they only knew from the internet! Seems so funny now with all the gatherings and Do's and such that have become a normal occurrence of the FlyerTalk community, that it was such a "big deal" at that time.

Anyway, tonight on the 5th Anniversary of the original Party In Paradise, three (Catman, TropicalFlyer and PremEx) of the four Party In Paradise Planning Committee members met at the same location (The Sheraton Moana) to toast the anniversary of this great event from FlyerTalk's past. And to toast all the attendees that made it such a great event.

Sadly, our 4th committee member, Rudi, couldn't make it due to being in the process of moving into a new home in Switzerland. But filling in for him was our custom-made "Port-A-Rudi!"

Here's our Then and Now Photo

And here's TropicalFlyer and Catman having drinks with "Port-A-Rudi."

So here's to all of you that attended back in 1999! Such great times. From the upper deck of a 747 occupied exclusively by PIPsters, to the great times and contributions of all the attendees and Randy Petersen and his crew!

For you newer FlyerTalk members that weren't around at the time, here's some links that contain many pictures:

Party In Paradise Web Site

Live From the PIP

PIP Express UA 57

Last edited by PremEx; Nov 8, 04 at 8:48 pm Reason: crummy spelling
Old Nov 6, 04, 1:08 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Sounds like a suggestion to get the next PIP started??

aloha
Old Nov 6, 04, 1:11 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I am soooooooooooooooooooo®© jealous!

^
Old Nov 6, 04, 1:30 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
I can't believe it's been 5 years already. I remember how fun it must meeting everyone in person as they "signed in" and received their passports.

Rudi, we missed you, but your "floating head" was quite a character. It even got some strange looks from the people around us.

TF
Old Nov 6, 04, 1:42 am
Commander Catcop

Unlike five years ago, with purrfect weather, we had rain this evening. But even that could not dampen the bright and fun memories of a very special time for many of us.

Happy and MEOWY Anniversary all you Pipsters, wherever you are.

MEOWS from CATMAN, the PIP Passport Control Officer (and I still have my original passport!)
Old Nov 6, 04, 8:06 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; DL Diamond; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I was reliving some of the great PIP moments when I was at the HHV two months ago. The famous "attack bush" was still there, laying in wait for a victim.
Old Nov 6, 04, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thanks, PremEx. That was soooooooooooo much fun.
Old Nov 6, 04, 8:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
COOL--great memories. Seems like a whole other century (hey -- it was!) ^
Old Nov 6, 04, 9:10 am
Original Member

Programs: LH SEN/*A Gold, BA Gold/oneworld Emerald, DL SM-MM/SkyTeam Elite, IC Platinum, SPG Gold
Good times!

Five years-- boy, it seems longer than that! I truly have fond memories of the PiP. IMHO, no other FT event can ever be so good. Despite the drastic change in FT over the last 5 years, I am still here (albeit barely) just to remind myself that I do owe FT for enriching my life and for giving me some of the friends I have, who I would otherwise never have met! Happy 5th Anniversary PIPsters!

Mark aka AusTXHiker
Old Nov 6, 04, 9:16 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

That Port-a-Rudi picture made me laugh - too funny. Hey! I missed PiP but I'm ready to attend the next one. Bring it on! ^
Old Nov 6, 04, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, American Airlines, Marriott Gold LT, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Thumbs up Good stuff!

So is today, kokonutz's 5th birthday?

And other than PremEx's new white racing stripes on each side of his head, you guys look exactly the same!

Wish I could have been there!
Old Nov 6, 04, 4:54 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; DL Diamond; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by geo1005
And other than PremEx's new white racing stripes on each side of his head
When I saw him recently, he told me that he'd been painting his apartment, and he was quite sloppy.
Old Nov 6, 04, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
What memories.... and I didn't even attend. Well, I did - just 2 days after all of you went home.

I had found FT that summer when the planning was starting. I was so amazed at this crazy bunch of people who knew each other only from the internet were getting together in Hawaii from all over the world. I remember the sharing of upgrades so everyone could make it to the upper deck of the 747. I so wanted to be part of it.

Alas, I watched from afar. I was too shy to post (yes, that's me) and I knew so little about miles & points at that time. You folks were the masters and my heros. It wasn't until 3 years later that I made my first post. You also taught me very well.

So, my hat's off to you again for the memories and for making FT was it is today to so many people.

Now, if you have another one next November, you can be sure that I will do everything possible to make it.

Mary
Old Nov 6, 04, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
Another one that wasn't there... but has reaped the benefits of FT Community since.

When do we start on the next five years of new memories?
Old Nov 6, 04, 10:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
PremEx and Catman,

I'm glad the weather cleared up for you today. It was a beautiful day!!

TF

Search this Thread
Search Engine: