Crowne Plaza
Bundy Bear, Bundy Bear+1

Comfort Hotel Nagoya Fushimi
cocobird, cocobird+1

Comfort Hotel Nagoya Meiekiminami
BigRedBears

Nikko Style Nagoya
wysiwyg

Please add your handle below if you are planning to come on a day trip to Ise Shrines on Saturday, 30 March.
Antonio8069
NewbieRunner
wysiwyg
restlessinrno
restlessinrno+1
mnmag
Zorak
Zorak+1
cocobird
Governator
nme7
kpc
kpc +1
Majuki
ClaudiSTR
BigRedBears ?
FlyerBeek
FlyerBeek +1
kiyaj

Planning to come for Meet & Greet Drinks, Thursday 28 March

NewbieRunner
Majuki
BigRedBears
Xyzzy
nme7
cocobird + 1
restlessinrno
restlessinrno+1
Governator
wysiwyg
mnmag
ClaudiSTR
Zorak (depending on flight arrival time + logistics)
kpc
kpc +1
Bundy Bear
Bundy Bear + 1

Planning to visit Nagoya Castle, Friday 29 March

NewbieRunner
Majuki
BigRedBears
Xyzzy
nme7
cocobird + 1
restlessinrno
restlessinrno+1
Governator
wysiwyg
mnmag
ClaudiSTR
Zorak
Zorak+1
kpc
kpc +1
Bundy Bear
Bundy Bear + 1
kiyaj
Print Wikipost

Japan Do 2024: Nagoya: 28-31 March 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:08 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
This may disappoint some people, and please others.
I will not be attending Japan Do Nagoya.
In the contest between myself and airlines, I would not capitulate to the airlines' ridiculous stance on selling seats on aircraft.
By last week, the seats remaining on flights returning from Tokyo were "premium economy", for which the airline though an extra centimeter of leg space was worth a $50-99 extra expense. Those were the seats which went unsold. Why yield management could not devise a procedure|plan for people who seemingly could not book into Economy, but sought passage on that flight, I cannot decipher.
I will relegate to reading about the rest of yours activities in Nagoya this weekend. I have consistently been quite good at watching.
Then again, you are also quite welcome to join me {because yes, I am coming apart} on Friday night - which, if I compute correctly, is actually 10:00 hours Saturday in Nagoya on GW's OMNI Bugger Do Zoom event. I shall be drowning my sorrow at not being in Japan, during this webinar.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:43 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
From today’s Japan Times

“The yen fell to its lowest level against the U.S. dollar in 34 years on Wednesday despite financial authorities having warned that they could step in to stop the currency’s slide.

Although the Bank of Japan hiked rates for the first time in 17 years last week, the yen’s weakness has persisted, as the central bank has stressed that it will maintain its dovish stance for the time being.”
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 2MM
1 usd = ¥ 151.161
SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It really is cheap for a great many things. I had an amazing meal in Kobe the ther night at a hole-in-the-wall Okonomiyaki place. The total for two was ¥3250.
SPN Lifer and mnmag like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:13 am

The Wall Street believes the BOJ is toothless, and global macro funds short JPY heavily to fund the carry trade.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
“The yen fell to its lowest level against the U.S. dollar in 34 years on Wednesday despite financial authorities having warned that they could step in to stop the currency’s slide.

Although the Bank of Japan hiked rates for the first time in 17 years last week, the yen’s weakness has persisted, as the central bank has stressed that it will maintain its dovish stance for the time being.”
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
We have arrived in Nagoya and are at the Hilton. Room is not ready yet, so we are waiting at their executive lounge. 😊
kirkwoodj and Majuki like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
We have arrived in Nagoya and are at the Hilton. Room is not ready yet, so we are waiting at their executive lounge. 😊
Go explore! It’s a nice day. What’s the point of flying half round the world to sit in yet another lounge.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I'm headed to Muji for Mrs. Majuki's shopping list:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/1otrWe3ijm929WuL9
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by BigRedBears
Go explore! It’s a nice day. What’s the point of flying half round the world to sit in yet another lounge.
While I agree with the overall thrust of this, at the same time I have reached a point where I don't feel compelled to cram every waking minute full "doing something". It's ok to take a break and relax sometimes, whether you are exhausted coming off a long haul* or if you've already been in the region for a week and it's a travel/transition day etc. so w/o knowing people's individual travel circumstances...

*although, in that circumstance, I try to go outside and get sunlight, stay awake until evening etc. to try to reset my body clock, which generally works for me but other people's mileage may vary
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:31 pm

Hey everyone! I just landed and will be getting on the train in an hour. I’ll arrive right at the time of the meet up and will probably check in then head out. Please reserve a spot for me this evening. I’m at the TIAD Autograph for now. Thanks!
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 1:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiyaj
Hey everyone! I just landed and will be getting on the train in an hour. I’ll arrive right at the time of the meet up and will probably check in then head out. Please reserve a spot for me this evening. I’m at the TIAD Autograph for now. Thanks!
Welcome!

Are you interested in coming to any other event which is still open?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Do Dinner tomorrow

Thanks to everyone who booked tomorrow’s Do Dinner for confirming their attendance and for agreeing to bring money either this evening or tomorrow.
I will post some maps of how to get to the restaurant later.
wysiwyg likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 3:50 am

Have you guys left the brewery? Don’t see anyone.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiyaj
Have you guys left the brewery? Don’t see anyone.
We couldn’t get in so had to move on. We are now at
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZbSt9UEHUY5hNMr7A
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:22 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
We couldn’t get in so had to move on. We are now at
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZbSt9UEHUY5hNMr7A
Awesome! I just added that to my to-do list for when we're there in July for Sumo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.