Dallas DO Feb 1-4, 2024

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Dallas DO Feb 1-4, 2024

I know this is early, but wanted to get this on the cal. Following 2 real, and the inaugural unofficial Covid-improvized Houston DO, I've decided that we're going to take the show on the road. Having exhausted many of the best things to see, eat and do in Houston, we're going to go see if Dallas is really as bad as it probably is. I kid, I kid. The Metroplex has a number of fantastic breweries nestled within it's absurdly complex network of toll roads, two rail lines from DFW, and is home to the worst (IMO) of the big 3 legacy carriers. Fort Worth is also home to the original location of the best beer bar in Texas.

I have a very rough idea of the schedule; I'm going to arrive on Thursday afternoon/evening and we can plan something for the evening. One day we'll wonder out and explore Fort Worth, tbd if that is Friday or Saturday, will depend on when people get in. Brunch Sunday and then maybe something Sunday afternoon as time and departures allow. I don't know what will be hotel central, but downtown Dallas has options to suit all various hotel elites. There is a reasonable chance there will be some bourbon at one of the Hyatt properties. The brand new JW Marriott is pricing at relatively good rates on points.

So mark your calendars.

If curious, you can see what we got up to in the Houston versions. Expect more of the same. Just in the DFW area.

HOU DO Feb. 18-20, 2022
HOU DO v3 Feb. 10-12, 2023
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Arrow

Schedule as of Monday 1/29 afternoon.

Thursday Evening:

6:30 PM: Meet in the lobby of the Hyatt to walk over to the streetcar leaving from Union Station ($1 fare each way)
7:00 PM: Dinner at 303 Grill, and Herb687 had mentioned a good dessert place nearby.

Friday - Fort Worth Day

Breakfast wherever you would like. I imagine a group will organize at the Hyatt as well as other Starriott properties with a critical mass.

However, we will meet near the Hyatt because the rail station is across the street. We will plan to take the TRE, or Trinity Railway Express, to Fort Worth for the day. I aim to get a train around 9:30-10, tbd on exact timing based on the rail schedule. For those with cars you're more than welcome to drive and share with those of us that don't have cars. Depending on the number of rental/personal cars, taking the train may not be needed, but won't know this until Thursday in all likelihood.

For our first stop around 11, 11:30 will be the Vintage Flying Museum adjacent to Fort Worth International Airport seems like a neat visit. Admission cost is $12/pp and is payable on arrival.

The rest of the afternoon is still free flowing and tbd. We will likely visit the Fort Worth Stockyards (lunch options include Love Shack, a burger place, or Second Rodeo Brewing), Herb has suggested a craft distillery downtown near the train station, Acre Distilling that opens at 3pm. After that we can find other stuff to do, or wonder our way back to Dallas for happy hour and dinner.

7:00 PM: Dinner at Jalisco Norte (menu). I'll make a reservation, so please add your name to the dinner part newly added to the wiki.

NOTE: For Friday arrivals, or for those that want to go to the AA CR Smith Museum, Friday, or Saturday afternoon in lieu of beer drinking, is when you want to do that as it is not open Sunday.

Saturday

Breakfast can be on everybody's own. Or just skip it given we will be going for an early brunch. Cattleack is a really well reviewed joint that is only open weekends on the first Saturday of every month. They open at 10am and I imagine we will want to be there by then or shortly thereafter since BBQ lines are real.

There is a neat looking mead taproom right near Cattleack that may be worth a stop after feeding, called Breaking Brew Meadery.

After that, I will hand it over to Long Train Runnin, the brewery crawl extraordinaire. I have had no input on this and not seen a draft of the plan, so don't blame me

From there, I'll have an idea or two for dinner if we need be and people are hungry. In past Houston DOs we've sometimes just eaten so much along the way between BBQ and brewery food trucks that we just nope out on dinner.

I believe there may be some bourbon somewhere, as is tradition, at the Hyatt. I will let the orchestrator of that confirm whether it is happening again. Failing that, there are no shortage of bars and breweries near downtown.

Sunday

I'm leaving Sunday open for the moment until I have a better grasp on when people are departing. I'm happy to do a critical mass brunch and take over the Hyatt, or we can find a brunch place in Deep Ellum and do a bit of brewery crawling. I will need to depart early afternoon to drive back to Houston.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Jan 31, 2024 at 8:58 am
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I've tentatively booked the Sheraton and am flip-flopping on switching to the SpringHill Suites to save points... but yeah I have an alert set on Google Flights so hopefully I can make this happen finally. I would arrive Friday.

-J.
cocobird likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Also interested, have a placeholder at the HR.
cocobird likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
I don't see any reason I can't make this. Will probably drive up and couch surf with friends.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:48 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Actually, you are not early.

You are six months too late.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Canarsie

Santander likes this.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Aug 3, 2023 at 6:38 am Reason: remove gif
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:53 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

Title edited.

/mod
krazykanuck and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Whoops, off to a good start here. I blame AA, with their delAAys a flight intended for 2023 might be in 2024.
catmndu, wrp96, PV_Premier and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
I'm planning on joining the fun! HR booked.
krazykanuck likes this.

Last edited by cocobird; Aug 1, 2023 at 1:12 pm
Old Aug 1, 2023, 11:59 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Whoops, off to a good start here. I blame AA, with their delAAys a flight intended for 2023 might be in 2024.
Toilet backed up? Blame American Airlines.
Dog not feeling well? Blame American Airlines.
War somewhere in the world? Blame American Airlines.

Hopefully, you will have a successful gathering of FlyerTalk members in Dallas; and that your initial error attracts attention — but if not...

...that’s right. Blame American Airlines.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 12:59 pm

Well he had to push the event back a whole year, so it is delAAyed from the beginning.
krazykanuck and catmndu like this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
this is on my long-range calendar, and I'll probably start looking at placeholder flight/hotel bookings shortly

Edit / Update -- somehow I managed to overlook the fact that my regular Torrance CA trip for the INCOSE International Workshop is Fri 26 thru Tue 30 Jan which means my choreography will be a tad more challenging than I thought 24 hrs ago

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 2, 2023 at 10:56 am
Old Aug 1, 2023, 10:44 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I will be there! HR booked Thursday-Sunday; suite upgrade applied.
cocobird likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Count me in, great time to come in and visit family as well! I'm at the new JW, doing five nights for price of four (points), Thursday-Tuesday
mnmag and cocobird like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.