Reload this Page >

SIN DO 2024: 12-14 JANUARY 2024 [New Horizons]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2023, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyingJoy
List of attendees based on posts in the thread. Feel free to update your own status if anything has changed. The agenda, which is subject to change, is in the first post in the thread.
One of the organizers, BSchaff1, had created a spreadsheet to share your arrival and hotel information: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Coming:

lowjhg
FlyerEC
DELee
Majuki
TravelKane
cocobird +1
jch636
seanthepilot
tkey75
margarita girl
ChrisFlyer66
rxgeek
Bundy Bear
asya999
UncleJed
Lori_Q
HPN-HRL
MAM88
kirkwoodj +1
Zorak
ClaudiSTR
Ted
206driver
jswong
Sea777guy
nomadic.relief
iluv2fly
FlyingJoy

Considering it:

FriendlySkies
Governator
Polytonic
wakesetter93
tuapekastar
perthite
mnmag
Thai-Kiwi
davewho??
travelinmanS
yosithezet (possibly UDMC dinner)
PES_B1

Won't be Making It:
ElevatorEnthusiast
sexykitten7

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:31 am
Original Poster

This will probably be the earliest I have ever posted for SIN DO, a year early.

But anyways, welcome to the undisputed longest running DO on Flyertalk, the Singapore DO 2024.

The theme for this year is NEW HORIZONS. After 3 years of COVID lockdowns, it's time to rethink how we approach organising DOs moving forward.

This coming DO, instead of static events, there will be multiple events at the same time, so participants may 'configure' their experience based on what they would want they want to do.

More Details will follow...

Schedule of events:

FRIDAY, 12 JANUARY 2024
DO DAY 0, ARRIVAL DAY

4PM - 5PM
- Visit to the Intan with Lori_Q

The Intan is a private home that houses one of Singapore’s most impressive collections of Peranakan (a group descended from Chinese settlers) artifacts. Owner Alvin Yapp has spent 30-plus years collecting 1,500 objects from Peranakan culture, most notably kasut manek (ornate beaded slippers worn by Straits Chinese women) and enamel tiffin carriers hand-painted in delicate floral patterns. Yapp's post-war home is a labor of love, and it shows in the meticulous way that he has arranged every square inch of it.
PRE BOOKING IS STRICTLY REQUIRED HERE at S$64.20

MEET AT THE INTAN MUSEUM AT 1550
ENTOURAGE WILL START WALKING AT 1600
Address: 69 Joo Chiat Terrace, Singapore 427231
~

5PM - LATE
NEWTON HAWKER CENTER
~

--
SATURDAY, 13 JANUARY 2024
DO DAY 1

Rise and Shine
~

9AM - 12PM
- An Islander's Insighter to Pulau Ubin with LOWJHG (Cash needed for Ferry, Admission to Island is Free)

Pulau Ubin is an island northeast of mainland Singapore. Cycle trails and footpaths criss-cross the hills, going past disused granite quarries and traditional kampongs (villages). Kingfishers and bulbul birds inhabit the tidal flats and mangroves of the Chek Jawa Wetlands. The Jejawi observation tower and a looped boardwalk offer views of this area.
MEET AT CHANGI POINT FERRY TERMINAL AT 0900
ENTOURAGE WILL START WALKING AT 0920
Address: 51 Lor Bekukong, Singapore 499172
~

12PM - 3PM
- Gastronomy, fueled by Babas and Nyonyas by LOWJHG (Bring Cash for Food)

Peranakan cuisine or Nyonya cuisine comes from the Peranakans, descendants of early Chinese migrants who settled in Penang, Malacca, Singapore and Indonesia, inter-marrying with local Malays. In Baba Malay, a female Peranakan is known as a nonya (also spelled nyonya), and a male Peranakan is known as a baba. The cuisine combines Chinese, Malay, Javanese, South Indian, and other influences.
MEET AT i12 KATONG 1200
ENTOURAGE WILL START WALKING AT 1210
Address: 112 E Coast Rd, Singapore 428802
~

3PM - 6PM
- Wartime Singapore with LOWJHG (Admission Free)

The Former Ford Factory is located along Upper Bukit Timah Road at Bukit Timah in Singapore. It is the place where the British Army forces surrendered to Imperial Japanese Army forces on 15 February 1942 after the Battle of Singapore. The Old Ford Motor Factory had since been gazetted as a National Monument in 2006, and converted into an exhibition gallery and archive named Memories at Old Ford Factory. The permanent exhibition gallery showcases life in Singapore under Japanese wartime rule, and the exhibition is one of the continuation of final battles from Pasir Panjang and at Fort Siloso.
MEET AT THE FORMER FORD FACTORY AT 1500
ENTOURAGE WILL START WALKING AT 1510
Address: 351 Upper Bukit Timah Rd, Singapore 588192
~

6PM - 8PM
- SUNDOWNERS at MOGAMBO (On own dime)

It has always been A SIN DO Tradition every single year to be at Mogambo for Pre-dinner drinks and this year will not be an exception. Look forward to the gathering of old friends, or make some new friends this year! Hopefully this year it won't rain!
MEET AT MOGAMBO 1800 ONWARDS
Address: 3 Canton St, #01-01, Singapore 049745
~

8PM - LATE
MAIN DO DINNER

- Let's Get Crabbin' at LONG BEACH SEAFOOD UDMC (On own dime)
Chilli Crab has become synonymous with Singaporean cuisine. It consists of tender, juicy crab meat cooked in a spicy tomato-chili sauce and served with rice or fluffy buns on the side. Both locals and visitors adore the dish, which has a long history.
MEET AT LONG BEACH SEAFOOD UDMC AT 2000 ONWARDS
Address: 1202 ECP, #01-04 East Coast Seafood Centre, Singapore 449881

~

--
SUNDAY, 14 JANUARY 2024
DO DAY 2, DEPARTURE DAY

Rise and Shine
~

9AM - 12PM
- Treasures of Nature at Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve with LOWJHG (Admission Free)

Discover the beauty and wonders of nature at Singapore’s first ASEAN Heritage Park. Uncover a world filled with rich biodiversity as you wander through the wetlands with an extensive mangrove forest of Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve.Sungei Buloh was first opened as a Nature Park in 1993. In 2002, 130 hectares were officially gazetted as a Nature Reserve and renamed Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve to better reflect its status. In the same year, it was recognised as a site of international importance for migratory birds and awarded a certificate by Wetlands International, marking the reserve's formal entry into the East Asian Australasian Shorebird Site Network, which includes Australia's Kakadu National Park, China's Mai Po – Inner Deep Bay and Japan's Yatsu Tidal Flats. And in 2003, Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve became Singapore's first ASEAN Heritage Park.

Since then Sungei Buloh has expanded to include 202ha of mangroves, mudflats, ponds and forests, providing an even larger sanctuary for the flora and fauna that call it home. This includes the newest extension that houses a brand new Visitor Centre and new trails for visitors to explore and enjoy. This new extension is situated along Kranji Way, and is easily accessible by public transport, bringing Sungei Buloh even closer to the public.
MEET AT VISITOR CENTER AT 0900
ENTOURAGE WILL START WALKING AT 0915
Address: 60 Kranji Way, #01-00, Singapore 739453

~

12PM - 3PM
- The World's Cheapest Michelin Starred Meal WITH LOWJHG (On Own Dime) [non-halal]

Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle became one of the first two street food stalls in the world to be awarded a Michelin Star, alongside Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle, gaining the recognition in the 2016 list for Singapore; this was the first time that Singapore had a Michelin Guide created for it. The award has resulted in the usual queue increasing from around 30 minutes to up to two hours.
MEET AT Hill Street Tai Hwa Pork Noodle 1200 ONWARDS
QUEUE at your own leisure.
Address: 466 Crawford Ln, #01-12, Singapore 190466
~

4PM - 5PM
- Visit to the Intan with Lori_Q

The Intan is a private home that houses one of Singapore’s most impressive collections of Peranakan (a group descended from Chinese settlers) artifacts. Owner Alvin Yapp has spent 30-plus years collecting 1,500 objects from Peranakan culture, most notably kasut manek (ornate beaded slippers worn by Straits Chinese women) and enamel tiffin carriers hand-painted in delicate floral patterns. Yapp's post-war home is a labor of love, and it shows in the meticulous way that he has arranged every square inch of it.
PRE BOOKING IS STRICTLY REQUIRED HERE at S$64.20

MEET AT THE INTAN MUSEUM AT 1550
ENTOURAGE WILL START WALKING AT 1600
Address: 69 Joo Chiat Terrace, Singapore 427231
~

SIN DO 2024 ENDS - BKK POST DO 2024 STARTS
~

POST DO 2024: BANGKOK
MAIN POST DO HOTEL: GRAND HYATT BANGKOK

Thank you for making SIN DO the longest running DO on Flyertalk!
With love, DO Organisers: lowjhg, FlyerEC and bschaff1
mjm, synd, Lori_Q and 10 others like this.

Last edited by lowjhg; Jan 11, 2024 at 2:36 am
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I'm in!

David
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Haven't attended since 2014, so it seems like 2024 would be a good time to return.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:21 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Count me in
cocobird likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 5:48 am
mjm
Original Member

I might even make it in 2024. It holds such a special place in my heart,
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Hope to come.
cocobird likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Mel says we're going
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Mel says we're going
I would count on it
FlyerEC and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Going to try and make it. I think it would be nice to have a place in the Wiki to OPTIONALLY share details and events. Just my thoughts.
FlyerEC and cocobird like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Definitely interested, now that I know this is a thing.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
Count me in.

"We will NOT record incoming flight details nor hotels members are staying"
I like know where everyone is at. It helps with some of the planning of extra events.
Ted, Governator, Lori_Q and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 7:31 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I'm very likely to attend, but won't know for certain until later this year.
rxgeek likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 3:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by TravelKane
I like know where everyone is at. It helps with some of the planning of extra events.
I totally agree. I've only been to 1 of these, and I stayed at the Conrad. There were a few other Do participants who stayed there, and it was nice to be able to organize among ourselves things like going to breakfast or arranging an Uber for one of the Do events.
206driver likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
With enough planning, anything is possible right?

Count me interested or else I'll have to live vicariously through Zorak again
Zorak likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 11:02 am

Definitely going try to include this in the 2024 calendar, it's been way too long!
FlyerEC and rxgeek like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.