Reload this Page >

2023 Japan Do discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2023 Japan Do discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2023, 7:18 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
My apologies - it turns out it's APA hotels (still a Japanese brand) that are affiliated with Coast Hotels! Close but not the same. It was the IHG reference that had me look again, that definitely felt off. https://www.coasthotels.com/partners-affiliates Still, I can earn points with APA, sadly no redeeming - I ended up with quite a few during covid years.
I’ve never stayed at APA Hotels but some FTers avoid them. If you are interested check these threads in the Japan forum.

Cheap hotel for a short layover in Tokyo? Cheap eats and what to do?
Solid but inexpensive hotels in Tokyo (post 28)

The itinerary, however loose, looks great. I love the idea of a waterbus, didn't realize that was a thing in Tokyo!
During the first Japan Do we travelled on a water bus from Hamarikyu Garden (near Tsukiji Market) up to Asakusa. It was during the cherry blossom season and the boat made a detour so we could view cherry blossoms but this is what I posted during the cruise.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20500728-post975.html
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:51 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
Flight Booked!
Flying from KUL on MH on the 5th
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:53 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I believe ANA hotels were started by the airline but are now part of IHG which is the primary shareholder.

In 2020 I had booked 12 nights at Hilton hotels in Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka at the total cost of a little under US $2,500 or $200 per night at today's exchange rate. I checked the price of the same Hilton hotels for the same period/dates for this year and the total will be a little over US $4,000! I only booked these stays a little over a month in advance in 2020!
Yes, I remember seeing the ANA Crowne Plaza in Osaka - definitely an IHG thing currently.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:33 am

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
I received a flight cancellation in my award booking and tried to find a good solution for rebooking with UA.
They weren't flexible at all. So the only connections I could get, was flying one day later.

Unfortunately now I will arrive late Saturday evening at NRT and the only day I could attend Japan Do 2023 will probably be Sunday.

I'm still trying to find another way to get to Tokio earlier. Maybe award space will open up on short notice, maybe I will buy a oneway ticket with LO.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:38 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClaudiSTR
I received a flight cancellation in my award booking and tried to find a good solution for rebooking with UA.
They weren't flexible at all. So the only connections I could get, was flying one day later.

Unfortunately now I will arrive late Saturday evening at NRT and the only day I could attend Japan Do 2023 will probably be Sunday.
I'm still trying to find another way to get to Tokio earlier. Maybe award space will open up on short notice, maybe I will buy a oneway ticket with LO.
Oh dear, that doesn’t sound good. Hope you will find an alternative way to get there.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Lightbulb Flexible

I can suffice with either Nagoya or Tokyo. I've begun looking at neighborhoods in Nagoya [Aichi Prefecture] to appraise where we might be concentrated | orbiting.
The main difference between the two cities is whether I would need to buy the J.R. Pass {which I have never done previously - despite 14 trips there}. The pass would be bought for Nagoya. It would also influence where I would stay in Tokyo (| Yokohama) from 11-17 April.
My travel bot is looking at ORD-TYO flights on 4-18 April.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Just figured I'd put it into this thread, but there are currently ANA F reward seats available ex-SFO. Might as well arrive to the Do in style.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pudgym29
The main difference between the two cities is whether I would need to buy the J.R. Pass {which I have never done previously - despite 14 trips there}. The pass would be bought for Nagoya. It would also influence where I would stay in Tokyo (| Yokohama) from 11-17 April.
A standard class Japan Rail Pass for 7 days costs 29,650 yen or $228. It cannot be used on slightly faster and more frequent/convenient “Nozomi” trains. Tokyo - Nagoya is approx. 11,090-11,300 yen one way. You will have to do your own maths to decide whether it’s worth buying a Japan Rail Pass (if the Do is in Nagoya).
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Just came across this and have never been to Japan. I can swing the tickets, but feel completely lost on where to stay, whether it's easy to get around to meet up for the Do (I get lost so much that I generally add an extra hour for travel), and know so little, I'm not sure what to ask.

I'd obviously, prefer to see Tokyo to get my feet wet, but understand that others may have different preferences and perspectives.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Unfortunately, too late to the party. The award tickets disappeared, so it looks like I'll have to try for a later Do.

At least I'll have time to do more research so I can jump on things faster. Have fun everyone!
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by cocobird
Unfortunately, too late to the party. The award tickets disappeared, so it looks like I'll have to try for a later Do.

At least I'll have time to do more research so I can jump on things faster. Have fun everyone!
There is more than enough time to still find something.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Award space to/from Japan has been super plentiful lately. If you’re a little bit patient you shouldn’t have any trouble finding something that will get you to the DO.
Majuki likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Sykes
Award space to/from Japan has been super plentiful lately. If you’re a little bit patient you shouldn’t have any trouble finding something that will get you to the DO.
I was able to find an outbound segment! Now I just need a flight home. I'm looking for hotels in both Nagoya and Tokyo, depending on the Do itinerary.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 12:34 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Random, but my parents are trying to fly to Seoul to visit me, and I suggested flying into Tokyo to expand award options. I've been out of the award game for a really long time (2013-16 I used to open CC's and take them all the time). Can y'all recommend some good tools to search for flights to minimize the crazy mile prices I've been seeing (I know all the rates are higher now and nothing like the 35,000 round trip + open jaws in economy I used to take on United &#128546. My dad is insisting on J, and my mom says cash isn't an option if you're gonna be like that then.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 1:11 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by elliott44k
Can y'all recommend some good tools to search for flights to minimize the crazy mile prices I've been seeing
I personally just search through the airline websites and find the cheaper mileage tickets in the award calendar.

Originally Posted by Majuki
I was able to find an outbound segment! Now I just need a flight home. I'm looking for hotels in both Nagoya and Tokyo, depending on the Do itinerary.
Return flight secured as well!

Have we decided whether we're visiting Tokyo or Nagoya?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.