Search

Tucson (TUS) - Flyertalk Lunch Do - Sun Feb 5, 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:24 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Aqui con el Nene is one I also recommend as the food there is great.
Seeing as we are about a month out, I've started to hone in on a restaurant for our lunch, this place did look great but their website states they aren't open on Sundays unfortunately. https://www.aquiconelnene.com/menu
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Putting forth some options to consider, if anyone has strong feelings one way or the other, please share (as well as if you have an alternative suggestion)

BOCA https://bocatacos.com/menu/

Poco & Mom's Cantina https://pocoandmoms.com/wp-content/u...5-17-2022-.pdf

El Charro https://www.elcharrocafe.com/regular-menu/

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Jan 2, 2023 at 2:24 pm Reason: remove restaurant
Old Jan 2, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Great catch on the hours at Nene.

All of the places you've listed sound great. Two quick questions for the group:
  • Would we prefer a place that also has brunch/breakfast options on the menu, too?
  • Is there an area of town that'd work best?
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Putting forth some options to consider, if anyone has strong feelings one way or the other, please share (as well as if you have an alternative suggestion)

BOCA https://bocatacos.com/menu/

5 Points https://www.5pointstucson.com/_files...8271dbbe26.pdf

Poco & Mom's Cantina https://pocoandmoms.com/wp-content/u...5-17-2022-.pdf

El Charro https://www.elcharrocafe.com/regular-menu/
The menu for 5 Points doesn't seem to have much local flavor, so I'd prefer one of the other places.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhnadel
The menu for 5 Points doesn't seem to have much local flavor, so I'd prefer one of the other places.
good input, thank you, I've deleted that from the restaurants I listed.
Originally Posted by MarshKing
Great catch on the hours at Nene.

All of the places you've listed sound great. Two quick questions for the group:
  • Would we prefer a place that also has brunch/breakfast options on the menu, too?
  • Is there an area of town that'd work best?
Per mhnadel's comment, having local flavor was my key goal in choosing a restaurant, my searches were based on brunch while also trying to ensure SW flavor.

Area of town does not matter to me or my +1.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
This is perhaps getting too nuanced, but Poco & Mom's (which is a great place by all accounts) gives a nod to New Mexico flavors, so I am not sure if it moves them down the list a bit if we're looking for local cuisine?

I used to go to Boca a lot when it was at the old Greasy Tony's location, but haven't been since it moved. Has anyone else been? (I'm happy to do some scouting this week and head down there for lunch one day.) As El_Chiflero mentioned, we may need to consider size/space as we narrow down the selection.

El Charro is a solid option for groups, although I recall another Do there, so in case there's a desire for someplace new, I'll throw out an alternative - Micha's. It is in South Tucson (near the arguably more well-known Mi Nidito). It is not going to win any prizes for ambiance or menu creativity, but they've got solid Sonoran Mexican food, cerveza, easy parking, and plenty of room for tables of 10 or more. (menu)
Sweet Willie likes this.

Last edited by MarshKing; Jan 31, 2023 at 8:26 am Reason: Fix the lik
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Bad news... I have something at home that weekend I need to be here for, so take me off the list

-J.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Bad news... I have something at home that weekend I need to be here for, so take me off the list
done, sorry to miss
El Charro is a solid option for groups, although I recall another Do there, so in case there's a desire for someplace new, I'll throw out an alternative - Micha's. It is in South Tucson (near the arguably more well-known Mi Nidito). It is not going to win any prizes for ambiance or menu creativity, but they've got solid Sonoran Mexican food, cerveza, easy parking, and plenty of room for tables of 10 or more. (menu)
(bolding mine) those are 3 compelling reasons to consider a restaurant for this Do !
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat
Please add me to the interested list. I guess I need to get to this section of flyertalk more often.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catmndu
Please add me to the interested list. I guess I need to get to this section of flyertalk more often.
very good, done !
Old Jan 5, 2023, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat
This is perhaps getting too nuanced, but Poco & Mom's (which is a great place by all accounts) gives a nod to New Mexico flavors, so I am not sure if it moves them down the list a bit if we're looking for local cuisine?

I used to go to Boca a lot when it was at the old Greasy Tony's location, but haven't been since it moved. Has anyone else been? (I'm happy to do some scouting this week and head down there for lunch one day.) As El_Chiflero mentioned, we may need to consider size/space as we narrow down the selection.

Boca on 4th Avenue is very good. I should note that I have not been there since before covid times. If the weather is agreeable sitting outside could be nice. Space may be an issue if we end up with a large group. El Charro and Micha's are solid choices too.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
count me in.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrissxb
count me in.
Very good, Done !
Old Jan 16, 2023, 4:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm firming up my plans for this. My intent is to fly into Phoenix Saturday and spend the day and night and then drive to Tucson Sunday and fly home from TUS a little after 4 PM. Have we settled on a venue and a time?
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 7:08 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
My last visit to El Charro, a party of 4 with reservations, about a year ago, they were short staffed and it took over 2 hours before we were served lunch.

I would agree with MarshKing's assessment of Micha's. It's not fancy, but Micha's has been a consistent family run restaurant over the 40+ years that I have been going there.
Sweet Willie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.