Search

LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XVII, April 16-18, 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2021, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
A couple updates on Merrick Inn:

I talked to the reservation manager and there were some details that did not completely line up with what cocobird and others have been told somehow.

Anyway we now have two 8-seat tables (which can also seat as few as 6 if needed), one in her name and one in mine. Easy to make adjustments up or down if desired. They are doing work on the patio (partially under cover and partially not) which is supposed to be done by Keeneland opening day, and that’s where we are reserved assuming it’s open.

I talked to my friend Bill who is part owner of the Chevy Chase Inn. He says they will have 15-year Pappy van Winkle by the shot, “buy one, get one” during Happy Hour Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday at 5:30, and he is trying to get some 20-year. Bourbon freaks go to enormous lengths to try this stuff.

I am arriving Wednesday afternoon probably and will have my vehicle. Staying until Monday at least. Can likely give rides especially from the airport with some planning. Don’t rent a car if you can avoid it.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Mar 17, 2021 at 11:51 am
Old Mar 18, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Booked the noon tour Saturday at Blue Grass Distillers. Right behind West Sixth Brewing so we can wash the bourbon down with beer.
https://www.bluegrassdistillers.com/home-west
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Anyone know anything about https://threeboysfarmdistillery.com/ ? it looks conveniently on the way to Icelandic horses on Saturday, so friend and I are thinking of doing that followed by horses, or maybe in the other order. We've also booked 3pm Barrel House for Saturday afternoon in lieu of the usual Sunday thing since we'll be going to Keeneland (he got the 2 grandstand seats)
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
Anyone know anything about https://threeboysfarmdistillery.com/ ? it looks conveniently on the way to Icelandic horses on Saturday, so friend and I are thinking of doing that followed by horses, or maybe in the other order. We've also booked 3pm Barrel House for Saturday afternoon in lieu of the usual Sunday thing since we'll be going to Keeneland (he got the 2 grandstand seats)
We went there once. The tour guide was kind of a jackass. We went into the tour area and he was talking to some other group, and we stood off to the side listening, and he told us to get lost. Kinda soured us on the place.

Had some samples in the main house; good enough bourbon.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Mar 18, 2021 at 7:58 pm
Old Mar 19, 2021, 6:11 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
We went there once. The tour guide was kind of a jackass. We went into the tour area and he was talking to some other group, and we stood off to the side listening, and he told us to get lost. Kinda soured us on the place.

Had some samples in the main house; good enough bourbon.
I was with you. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:26 am

I've been to Glenns Creek Distillery twice. It is on the historic Old Crow property and a unique experience. Highly recommended. Closed now for tours thanks to Covid but watch to see if they open by DO time.
https://glennscreekdistillery.com/
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I was tentatively discussing the KY Bourbon Festival for September.

General admission tickets on sale now. Any opinions?

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/3-day-g...cid=4b1e9e5548
FYI I was looking at hotels for this; pretty much every hotel room in Bardstown is sold out that weekend (Fri & Sat nights). The only hotel in town I could find with rooms available was the "Quality" Inn for $300 per night; everything else is 20+ miles away. Given the state of DWI laws these days I don't think it's a good idea to be driving very far (certainly not 20+ miles on back country roads) after consuming some potent potables, so unless we can arrange designated drivers (or hire a van/small bus) to take us to & from Bardstown I think I would prefer Keeneland in October rather than this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
FYI I was looking at hotels for this; pretty much every hotel room in Bardstown is sold out that weekend (Fri & Sat nights). The only hotel in town I could find with rooms available was the "Quality" Inn for $300 per night; everything else is 20+ miles away. Given the state of DWI laws these days I don't think it's a good idea to be driving very far (certainly not 20+ miles on back country roads) after consuming some potent potables, so unless we can arrange designated drivers (or hire a van/small bus) to take us to & from Bardstown I think I would prefer Keeneland in October rather than this.
I am inclined this way myself. And it looks sort of expensive and not all that interesting.

Maybe get some reports from attendees this year and think about it for another time.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Mar 22, 2021 at 12:10 pm
Old Mar 23, 2021, 9:48 am

Keeneland is opening tickets for GA and the dining rooms on March 24 at 9 am. I was told that there are 13 tables in the Lexington/Kentucky Room available for purchase. Should I get one, I would need two more people to fill it out. Who is interested?
Details here: https://www.keeneland.com/racing/lexingtonkentucky-room.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Woodford Reserve announces massive expansion.

This is a gorgeous facility, well worth a visit any time.

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2..._wq6qEaJsM2rhY
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by rxgeek
Keeneland is opening tickets for GA and the dining rooms on March 24 at 9 am. I was told that there are 13 tables in the Lexington/Kentucky Room available for purchase. Should I get one, I would need two more people to fill it out. Who is interested?
Details here: https://www.keeneland.com/racing/lexingtonkentucky-room.
A couple days ago I sent a PM to Herb687 asking if he had room for two more; if he doesn't get back to me soon maybe I should join your table?
Old Mar 24, 2021, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
A couple days ago I sent a PM to Herb687 asking if he had room for two more; if he doesn't get back to me soon maybe I should join your table?
Love to have you.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Saturday was really the only day I had plenty of time to enjoy a day at the track. Bummed that all Saturday tickets went fast. Had some in my cart but the site kept crashing. Made me think I was buying coins from the US Mint!

Congrats to all who scored seats!
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bk3day
Saturday was really the only day I had plenty of time to enjoy a day at the track. Bummed that all Saturday tickets went fast. Had some in my cart but the site kept crashing. Made me think I was buying coins from the US Mint!

I imagine some will be available from LEX people changing their minds.

Bourbon fungus:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...OhbpgLqNuN1e9I
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by bk3day

My experience, too. I didn't get dining room or the GA package for Sunday. Worse than the Mint where I actually did have success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.