Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Rugby World Cup 2003

Rugby World Cup 2003

Old Sep 18, 03, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Rugby World Cup 2003

Rugby fans from around the world will be in Australia next month for the Rugby World Cup 2003 and doubtless a few Flyertalkers will be among those attending...both in person and in spirit.

I discussed the tournament with SFOJFK in Seattle the other night (but I confess I can't remember the fine detail thanks to over-consumption of Washington state's finest...) and resolved to start a thread for fans who have tickets, armchair fans at home and locals to see if itineraries match up.

I'll go first. Our boys, ranked 9th in the world (no giggles, please), are in Pool B playing the following games:
12 Oct Scotland vs Japan in Townsville 20:00 local
20 Oct Scotland vs United States in Brisbane 19:30 local
25 Oct Scotland vs France in Sydney (Stadium Australia) 20:00 local
01 Nov Scotland vs Fiji in Sydney (Football Stadium) 15:00 local
I will be in BNE 19-22 Oct and in SYD on 1-2 Nov, so if anyone is around and wants to meet up... I may also be around in Brisbane or Melbourne for the quarter finals on 8-9 Nov. That's a big maybe If not at the quarter finals, I'll be at the London do

The opening ceremony for Rugby World Cup 2003 will begin at 7.00pm on 10 October at the Telstra Stadium, Sydney. The third-place play-off will be on Thursday 20th November at Stadium Australia at 8pm. The final will be held at Stadium Australia on Saturday 22nd November at 8pm. All times local.

Rugby World Cup 1999 was broadcast to over 150 countries reaching a cumulative audience of over 3 billion people.

Those with high speed internet connections can view the Scottish Rugby Union advertising campaign here,or view the Scottish Rugby Union World Cup 2003 Website.

The full list of nations competing is:
POOL A: Australia, Argentina, Ireland, Namibia, Romania
POOL B: France, Scotland, Fiji, Japan, USA
POOL C: South Africa, England, Samoa, Georgia, Uruguay
POOL D: New Zealand, Wales, Italy, Canada, Tonga

Alastair

[This message has been edited by ajamieson (edited 09-18-2003).]
Old Sep 18, 03, 11:01 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Our Pumas have a tough Pool, but this Amateur Rugby nation has faith in its boys... I think we can make it into the second round.
Old Sep 18, 03, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
I have class A tickets for France/Scotland on the 25th... I'm there

BTW: I had another thread going on a SYD meetup (was SYD/MEL... I'm no longer in MEL!)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum95/HTML/003614.html

(edited to add the above link to the other thread)

[This message has been edited by NickP 1K (edited 09-18-2003).]
Old Sep 22, 03, 12:43 pm

I hope ESPN or FOX covers it
Old Sep 22, 03, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Fox Sports will be showing the games in the USA, although I suspect you may have to wait up half the night to see them

There is a full list of broadcasters holding the rights to RWC 2003 games in each country here.

Gaucho the Pumas have every reason to be confident this time.

NickP 1K...care to meet a lowly Class B ticket holder?
Old Sep 22, 03, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
If you can figure out a place for a pre-game meetup, I'm in... I've asked some associates to think of a place to meetup if we get other FT'ers (or others) for the match on the 25th. (Any locals; have any ideas??)

For a general meetup around that time (the previous night/Friday?) I'm game as well...
Old Sep 23, 03, 2:29 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Alastair,

Please give your support to the other Gaelic team as well ! (the current #3 in the world [much hilarity all round, especially in Ireland !!])

I'll be in Switzerland supporting our round-ball guys in the Euro 2004 qualifier ....

Hope you have a gr8 time - might see you in London ...

JAP
Old Sep 23, 03, 5:42 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Gold, QF Silver (93.86% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond, SPG, PC. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
ajamieson, well as a BNE local, I'm likely to be in BNE oon the same dates as you, then I'm flying to SYD for work (and FT meeting that NickP 1K is setting up) as well as the Scotland match on 25th (then fly to MEL for following nights match). I'll also be at the NZ/Wales match on Sun 2 Nov!! We should catch up.
Old Sep 23, 03, 10:12 pm

Programs: United. Continental, BA, Starwood
Guess I'm lucky that I can watch two England games without having to travel.
I have relatives from Northampton arriving on 9th October to attend the local matches.
However, I have not been able to get tickets to the England v South Africa game, and have advertised in the Sunday paper and had no response.
I've been outbid everytime on ebay, and just pray that nearer the date, someone, somewhere will offer me tickets.
Old Sep 25, 03, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Seriously, what were the chances of three Flyertalkers having tickets for the same Scotland rugby match...in Australia? QF WP it would be great to meet in BNE...my first time there, so suggestions welcome. Could go before/after the USA game on the 19th or on one of the other nights if that suits better.

JAP I don't doubt Ireland are #3 in the world after the performance they put in at Murrayfield the other week

susieQ we often get unwanted ( )England tickets at work so I'll shout around to see if there are any spare for the Boks game. But it does look tight for tickets.

[This message has been edited by ajamieson (edited 09-25-2003).]
Old Sep 25, 03, 9:58 pm
Community Director

Love the profile, AJ:

Official FT mascot for Scotland in Australia at the Rugby World Cup 2003

Are you wearing an FT t-shirt with that kilt?
Old Sep 25, 03, 11:40 pm

3 FT'ers at the game from 3 continents...
Old Sep 26, 03, 1:14 am

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Gold, QF Silver (93.86% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond, SPG, PC. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
I have 2 A class tickets to the following matches:

France v Scotland, Saturday 25 October, 8.30pm Telstra Stadium (SYD)
England v Samoa, Sunday 26 October, 8.30pm Telstra Dome (MEL)
New Zealand v Wales, Sunday 2 November, 8.30pm Telstra Stadium (Sydney)

Mrs QF WP is coming along with me to Aust v Romania, Suncorp Stadium, 18 October.

The others are tagged in the middle of work in SYD and MEL...excellent, now my family company is paying for flights/accom, rather than me.

Let's get together and share some FT bonhommie (did I spell that right, ajamieson?). NickP 1K, I'll be at your function, meeting alect for the first time. Should I dress down from the suit and tie I'll be in????
Old Sep 26, 03, 1:24 am

If you're coming right from the office, no worries. We won't cut your tie off or anything.

I do need some input on a venue though...
Old Sep 27, 03, 11:10 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
alastair,

We certainly know about the ranking mismatch here in Ireland - everyone has had a good chuckle about it, and we're not overly optimistic about coming in third place ....

I will hope to see you at some point soon; good luck down under, and enjoy the games !

P.S. My new job means I don't get to Scottieland much, but will drop you a line if/when I'm next there ...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: