Community
Wiki Posts
Search

20th Annual BRT (Brooklyn Reality Tour) - Saturday June 1, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
20th Annual BRT (Brooklyn Reality Tour) - Saturday June 1, 2019

BRT 20 will take place on Saturday June 1, 2019.

Meet at 9:45 - 10:00 in the Hyatt lobby at Grand Central Terminal. Entrance on East 42nd street between Lexington Ave and Vanderbilt Ave.

It's going to be different than past tours. The tour will involve taking the subway and walking, no van or bus. Bring comfortable shoes. It's possible we may walk 20,000 steps (for you Fitbiters out there). That's about 7 - 8 miles (11.25 - 12.8 km). I just took a look at a map and think that we'll walk 5 - 8 miles.

I'm considering a variation of the walking tour I did around 10 years ago. Maybe a visit to:

Ride on the Staten Island Ferry - free
Botanic Garden https://www.bbg.org/ Adults $15. Seniors $8.00
Brooklyn Museum (of Art) https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/ Adults $16. Seniors $10.
Coney Island/Brighton Beach
NYC Transit Museum https://www.nytransitmuseum.org/ Adults $10. Seniors $5.00

Your ideas and suggestions are appreciated. I'm open to all ideas. BRT hasn't been to the Botanic Gardens since BRT 3. If the weather isn't good, we can visit the Brooklyn Museum instead. I'm not married to anything. The above are suggestions.

The only cost on Saturday will be for a few rides on the subway (possibly 6 - 7) + any admissions and food.

The only constant from past tours will be our pizza stop at L&B Spumoni Gardens.
L&B Spumoni Gardens

Over the years, I've always pointed out the highest elevated train station (the F train) in NYC. This tour will include a stop there. Sweeping views of Manhattan. I've never been to this station, so why not share this with fellow Flyertalkers! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith%...D_Culver_Line)

We'll meet at 10:00 in the Hyatt lobby check in at Grand Central (42nd street just off Lexington Ave.)

Are you up for an adventure in my hometown?

dh
FriendlySkies and dinoscool3 like this.

Last edited by dhammer53; Apr 21, 2019 at 9:19 am Reason: Edit to add meeting place (The Hyatt) and time.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So far:

dhammer53
FriendlySkies
KathyWdrf
Plainsman
pfbloom +1
SEA777GUY

Meet at 9:45 - 10:00 in the Hyatt lobby at Grand Central Terminal. Entrance on East 42nd street between Lexington Ave and Vanderbilt Ave.

Below is the link from the previous BRT.

Last edited by dhammer53; May 31, 2019 at 11:46 am Reason: Edit for pick up location and time.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Sign me up for the Hammer Time reality tour

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 9, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by dhammer53
BRT 20 will take place on Saturday June 1, 2019.

It's going to be different than past tours. The tour will involve taking the subway and walking, no van or bus. Bring comfortable shoes. It's possible we may walk 20,000 steps (for you Fitbiters out there). That's about 7 - 8 miles (11.25 - 12.8 km).

I'm considering a variation of the walking tour I did around 10 years ago. Maybe a visit to:

Ride on the Staten Island Ferry
with the exception of on overnight visit with friends in Ridgewood NJ last spring, it's been a REALLY long time since I've been to any part of the metro NY area besides LGA/JFK/Penn Station/Times Square ... I'm extremely curious about this "Reality" in which the Staten Island Ferry is considered part of Brooklyn (and I also find the mental image of "Fitbiters" amusing ...)
dhammer53 and serfty like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
with the exception of on overnight visit with friends in Ridgewood NJ last spring, it's been a REALLY long time since I've been to any part of the metro NY area besides LGA/JFK/Penn Station/Times Square ... I'm extremely curious about this "Reality" in which the Staten Island Ferry is considered part of Brooklyn (and I also find the mental image of "Fitbiters" amusing ...)
Many Brooklynites that are my age moved to Staten Island in the '70's because there was cheap housing there (due to the NYC dump). The smell was awful. From Staten Island, those Brooklynites did the movin on up thing and headed to New Jersey. That's where the connection is.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Im in - definitely me - possibly two.

I like your idea of visiting the places you have listed.

Excited!!!
dhammer53 and yunicorner like this.

Last edited by miffSC; Jan 9, 2019 at 9:19 pm Reason: Added Info
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I’m not sure which day my Grandpa’s 101st bday party will be held, but mark me as confirmed for now. I’ll confirm closer in
dhammer53 and miffSC like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Sign me up!

If we include Coney Island, maybe we could do a side-by-side comparison of Nathan's and Feltman's hot dogs. (Their stores are only a few blocks apart.)

Brooklyn Botanic Garden is awesome. Have only been there once before, about ten years ago. Not familiar with the museums you mention.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Sign me up!

If we include Coney Island, maybe we could do a side-by-side comparison of Nathan's and Feltman's hot dogs. (Their stores are only a few blocks apart.)

Brooklyn Botanic Garden is awesome. Have only been there once before, about ten years ago. Not familiar with the museums you mention.
I'm hoping to walk along Brighton Beach Ave later in the day (a 10 block strip of local stores in this very Russian neighborhood) as we head to Coney Island. If anyone is hungry at that point, they have my permission to sample Nathan's and Feltman's.
From Coney Island, we'll head to the train and head to L&B for our pizza dinner.

dh
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53

Over the years, I've always pointed out the highest elevated train station (the F train) in NYC. This tour will include a stop there. Sweeping views of Manhattan. I've never been to this station, so why not share this with fellow Flyertalkers!
Smith–9 Streets

New York City Subway rapid transit station

Station Smith Street & Ninth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11231

Smith–Ninth Streets is a local station on the IND Culver Line of the New York City Subway. It is located over the Gowanus Canal between Smith and Ninth Streets in Gowanus, Brooklyn and is served by the Fand G trains at all times. The station is 87.5 feet (26.7 m) above ground level, making it the highest rapid transit station in the world.[3]

This elevated station, opened on October 7, 1933, has four tracks and two side platforms. In 2009, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority began an extensive renovation of the station. It was closed entirely for a full reconstruction between June 2011 and April 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith%...ND_Culver_Line) For some reason, the link redirects to a very short article on this station.
Catman likes this.

Last edited by dhammer53; Jan 15, 2019 at 6:57 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Never mind.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, IHG, Amtrak
Since it's the first Saturday of the month, the Brooklyn Museum is free from 5-11pm.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well no matter what the BRT is, I will be there. I'm excited to hear about the changes so I will see you all in June!
yunicorner likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA G; TK E; HH D
Last year's BRT was great! Please add me to this year's list.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:57 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Dan, please add me and my wife to the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.