Wiki Posts
Search

OZ Bash anyone ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2002, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
OZ Bash anyone ??

Just reading through some old threads, it became apparent that the idea of an OZ bash never happpened. I am sitting on a partially used RTW that is going to take me through both SYD, SIN, and JNB - currently all popular destinations for the FF community

Does any OZ based flyer fancy putting something together to coincide with the Northern Hemisphere's Autumn and your spring.

As a follow on I would be happy to put together a do in JNB to follow it

Let me know

Jon
Old Apr 12, 2002, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahh man.. I thought this would be a thread for bashing Australia.. not a party

I mean... that place is weird. They talk funny. AND they spell words funny. I mean... 'colour'??? gimme a break!

So back on topic... an Aussie party always interests me!
Old Apr 12, 2002, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Not only that they have their seasons all mixed up. They even have Christmas in the Summer. Go figure.

Hey, but I am certainly up for a party.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 6:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chexfan:

I mean... that place is weird. They talk funny. AND they spell words funny. I mean... 'colour'??? gimme a break!
</font>
LOL...I say that all the time. I also joke about how they pronounce the letter "H" and "Z". But I still love OZ.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 8:19 pm

huh??? how do we pronounce the letter aitch?
Old Apr 12, 2002, 10:44 pm

Will be in SYD July 2 Anyone else there???
Old Apr 12, 2002, 11:19 pm

i live here in sydney and i will be here, i expect..maybe we can have yumcha or a bowl of laksa or something or other, if youre interested..
Old Apr 13, 2002, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
There will be a number of us passing thru Sydney in early november for the Gay Games...
Old Apr 13, 2002, 11:45 pm

well that sounds promising...what are the dates? i am planning a mileage run around that time because of the low season fares at that time of year..
Old Apr 14, 2002, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I thought we were done bashing "Oz."
Old Apr 14, 2002, 2:28 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Yeah, I thought oh no, OZ was in trouble again!
So, any dates for the down-under bash yet?
Old Apr 14, 2002, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
What's wrong with the way they spell down there? Or pronounce "Z"? As for the letter "H", you'd have to ask my Quebecois friends about that one...
Old Apr 14, 2002, 10:54 am
Joh

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honours Gold, KLM Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> They even have Christmas in the Summer. Go figure.</font>
Punki - but we usually make up for it by having summer weather all during our 'Winter'.

Lots of FT'ers pass through Sydney and we have been lucky to have caught up with about 20-30 of them, including a few of those posting above. No time of year is bad, (think Miami type climate) but mid December/ mid January is hot, and the entire country is basically on vacation, so tourist places are busy, and prices higher.

There is a huge oversupply of 4 and 5 star hotels in Sydney since the 2000 Olympics, and deals are often as low as $US50 a night including tax. There are around two $A to one $US, so cabs, meals, tours, drinks, etc, generally are about HALF US prices. Fine dining is extremely affordable, and ozzie beer makes Bud taste as potent as Diet Coke.

If any date gets agreed upon, Glen and I are happy to help organise things. One really superb thing to do is take an afternoon cruise on the large Captain Cook cruise liners right around the harbour. These run about $US20 a person, from The Rocks/Circular Quay in city centre. Take several hours, and refreshments are on board.

http://www.captaincook.com.au/sydney/sightsee.htm

Cruise takes you right around the very expensive ($35 million) eastern suburb waterfronts, right past the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, the earliest settler landing place of Camp Cove (1788) and even close past nudist beaches. Past Manly, all the harbour islands, close to the Sydney Heads, then right under the Spit Bridge into Middle Harbour, and does a U-turn right in front of our home and heads back to Circular Quay. A tremendous orientation for any new visitor. Indeed locals like us were amazed doing this recently as to how much you saw and learned.

There are million other easy days trips to do. Climb right up top of the Harbour Bridge, but an exhilarating experience. Visit the Blue Mountains or the Hunter Valley wine region etc. Taronga Park Zoo is the best sited on earth probably, right on the harbour. Or Bondi Beach which is 15 minutes from the city, or a dozen other superb beaches just as close, for swimming or surfing. Go take in an Australian Rules football match?

This weekend we drove to Windsor and Wiseman's Ferry, on the Hawkesbury River. Had lunch ($US20 for 2 inc. 4 beers!) at Australia's oldest Hotel in Windsor, (1815) and wandered around the country's oldest Church and Cemetery at Ebenezer etc. Stayed in a bizarre Swiss Chalet on the water that Rudi would have loved. Walked along the now disused Great North Road constructed laboriously by hand by 500 convicts in leg irons during the 1820s. All made of huge hand cut sandstone block buttresses and culverts, with NO mortar, that would have made the Egyptians and Incans proud. Aboriginal ancient paintings nearby in caves. All these spots are deserted basically and not madly on the tourist beat.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 11:18 am

Location: New York, NY, AA 4MM PLT, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, CC Gold
I'll be at Turtle Cove near Cairns, from July 8-12 and Sydney July 12-16 if any flyertalkers will be around.
Old Apr 14, 2002, 7:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
What's wrong with the way they spell down there? Or pronounce "Z"? As for the letter "H", you'd have to ask my Quebecois friends about that one...</font>

Ha Ha Ha ....I joke about these things all the time. However...it is hard to explain when writing it.
Don't get me wrong, I love Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.