Wiki Posts
Search

Alternate uses for "Flames"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2002, 3:56 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Alternate uses for "Flames"

Before I continue: Randy and Essxjay... if this is a stupid thread or does NOT being in COMMUNITY move it or delete it. I won't mind

This is a very bad attempt at trying to differentiate what a Flame is. (and a worst attempt at some humor in these flaming times on the boards..)

A flame is:

*The thing that keep the Spirit of the Olympics shining true and bright.

*The heat that turns wonderful beef into the best BBQ and Steak and In and Out burgers, the foods of choice of many a Flyertalker.

*What takes to bring out the flavors of a Romeo and Julietta #3 (or cigar of your choice.) Many a Flyertalker loves cigars.

*Something that makes a good campfire.

But Flames can hurt and they can burn when they are set off on a bulletin board like Flyertalk.

Maybe some of us just need to take a break and let those flames die. Just ignore them. I have.. until now.

Sorry for taking up bandwidth .. this silly thread by me is the only way I can respond to the flames.

Thank you for reading. I'll see some of you in Philly.

Catman the Flamefighter

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 02-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 02-27-2002).]
Old Feb 27, 2002, 4:20 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

If ever i need a real smile on my face, it's with the presense of the honorable Catman. While assuming the role of a flamefighter, he's still the best Cat Commander we'll ever see. Thanks Catman, i think coming from you that many will see the flickering identity of a better way to enjoy the value of FlyerTalk.

Mark, you are still the best, thanks. Enjoy Philly, you're in great company with those that are attending.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 4:38 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

And let me answer your question: It will not be moved. It belongs here because it is a topic that effects the entire community.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 5:01 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000032.html

Please see my last post on the bottom of this thread....I'm running out of olive branches here.

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 02-27-2002).]
Old Feb 27, 2002, 5:33 pm

NJDavid. I for one am pleased to read you are prepared to edit out any personally offensive posts as per your offer. The thread on that Forum above the one you post seems to indicate FT will do it for you anyway if you and others do not?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000031.html
Old Feb 27, 2002, 5:38 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CoachClass:
NJDavid. I for one am pleased to read you are prepared to edit out any personally offensive posts as per your offer. The thread on that Forum above the one you post seems to indicate FT will do it for you anyway if you and others do not?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000031.html
</font>

Then I appreciate that you are pleased, for if your attacks are not removed with the rest of them, the offer is off the table as well.

We either all commit to removing the attacks, and cease fanning the flames, or it is useless.

Your post in that thread informs no one of anything that has not been read countless times before, and I and others have counter arguments. Join the peace train, or be the reason (or one of the reasons) it never gets going.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 5:47 pm

Attack? My sincere apologies if you regard it as that. I thought I simply posted the ACTUAL Flyertalk TOS? And I am not sure they have been read "countless times before" by some recent posters. I have not seen them posted at all. You yourself have however repeatedly posted sections of the old version of TOS which seems to have been amended considerably.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 5:52 pm
Original Member

Either you're fanning the flames or you're not. Respectfully, please choose.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Children!!! (and I say this not as an attack on any single individual but as a general statement of the maturity level of the nature of dozens and dozens of posts I've read in the last week)...

Stop this insanity!!!

Seriously... the bickering and non-stop rehashing of old battles is getting really old. I've read ALL of the attack threads that have been going on for the past few days (and the ones that preceded this for weeks and months) and I have to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

I'm awfully glad that I some how missed the last big flame war that occured... if I hadn't, I might have never decided to quit lurking and start posting here. If I hadn't, I would have likely made sweeping judgments of what some of the people on FT are like in person and therefore would have never joined many of you for gatherings and mileage runs. And if I hadn't, I would have likely missed out on becoming part of a community that I love and respect.

I think everyone needs to stop and take a look at the TOS again. EVERYONE. I'm about to go do it again myself.

After you have done that, ask yourself...

Why am I on FlyerTalk? Am I here to be a part of this wonderful community for the purpose it was formed?

If so, then let's quit throwing sand in the sandbox and all play together nicely.

If not, then please reevaluate your participation in this community and quit giving Randy and company reasons to do it for you.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 6:01 pm

No, as the last line of my unedited post actually SAYS that you appear to object to, I simply sought the outcome that "these boards return to civility". This very thread was started as a light hearted one by Catman, was endorsed by Randy, and until YOUR post of 5.01pm might have stayed that way. So, if anyone is fanning flames it is not me. Apologies for my comments that appear to offended you.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 6:08 pm
Original Member

At 5:01 I offered to take the high road, and posted a link to a truce offer.

I explained in a private e-mail to my friend CATMAN that
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
I assume that the answers will range from "I've done nothing wrong" to "who are you to tell me what to do" as they always do, but, I've taken the first public step.

Let's see where it goes.
</font>
Thanks for showing us where it goes.

The offer still stands. If everyone buys in, and agrees to delete the accusations, "defensive attacks" and all the attempts to incite, I'll delete all of mine.

[This message has been edited by NJDavid (edited 02-27-2002).]
Old Feb 27, 2002, 6:09 pm
fparker1

um, i guess i missed something here.

i just dont read stuff that isnt of interest on the travel front, but i do read a lot of stuff on newsgroups where flame wars are common. those flame wars come and go and the good newsgroups stay around.

the difference here is many of us know one another personally, or have at least met one anonther.

every community has people who are offended and those that offend. the offenders and offened sometimes just have that personality that leads them to the proper level of offence as the case may be.

as for me, i grew up with an italian mother, so not much bothers me.

so, maybe we need more italian sons around here.

just be cool. it is only bits and bytes.

from garth and reba....woof!woof!woof!

------------------
f

[This message has been edited by fparker1 (edited 02-27-2002).]

Old Feb 27, 2002, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
I'm with you, fparker1. And thanks Catman for the post.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 8:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
• The flames that burns the jet fuel to make the plane fly through the day and night.
• The flames that burn the candles that Jerrie lights when I get home after a trip away
• The flames of the sun which make the moon shine so bright in the night
Old Feb 27, 2002, 8:23 pm

I,for one, support the suspension of NJDavid. Everytime I click on that "Flyertalk" link....I notice that NJDavid is either instigating,participating in or is actively engaged in a flame war with someone.
I realize that he is a "ring veteran" here on FT but....sometimes even the aged "whine" is not the best. His recent fiasco with Doc is just one example of his actions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.