Secret Santa 2018 Official Thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Secret Santa 2018 Official Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Sorry I'm late to this thread. I've had some FT issues logging on. HeadElf53 pm'd me to say that he/she was still available to help folks here that will play Secret Santa. For more info on HeadElf53, please take a look at the thread from last year. It's all spelled out.

dh
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Kipper - You were the first! Congrats
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Redhead
Kipper - You were the first! Congrats
Thanks! I love this every year! Oh, the friends I've made, some of the gifts, and some of the presents I've sent. I've learned a lot in the quest to find perfect gifts for people.
Redhead, tcl and FlyingCow like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AA ExPlat | UA Gld | DL Gld
Definitely going to participate again, had a blast last year. Sending PM as well closer to when I know my exact mailing adress.

Thank you again Wharvey, for all the hard work you put in and spreading the holiday cheer.

- PandaSoPink
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by kipper
Thanks! I love this every year! Oh, the friends I've made, some of the gifts, and some of the presents I've sent. I've learned a lot in the quest to find perfect gifts for people.
Me too! My daughter loves it too. My whole family still talks about some of the gifts. One year I got a bag of yummy candies from Poland. The candies were all individually wrapped and had flavours lie strawberry, blackberry, etc. But one of the flavours was simply named 5. It's become a family joke now.

I use the little ceramic containers from (I think) Flying Cow for our salt and pepper by the stove for cooking every day and think of FT.

I get compliments every time I wear my Notorious RBG t-shirt.

And that is just a couple over the ~10 years that I've been participating (please apologies to anyone that I did not mention!) Only 1 bad Santa in all that time.

So thankful to Wharvey, HeadElf, and the whole FT Community for such fun!
dhammer53 and FlyingCow like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:13 pm

I’m in! Just about to send the pm!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:25 pm

Me too! My daughter loves it too. My whole family still talks about some of the gifts. One year I got a bag of yummy candies from Poland. The candies were all individually wrapped and had flavours lie strawberry, blackberry, etc. But one of the flavours was simply named 5. It's become a family joke now.

I use the little ceramic containers from (I think) Flying Cow for our salt and pepper by the stove for cooking every day and think of FT.

I get compliments every time I wear my Notorious RBG t-shirt.

And that is just a couple over the ~10 years that I've been participating (please apologies to anyone that I did not mention!) Only 1 bad Santa in all that time.

So thankful to Wharvey, HeadElf, and the whole FT Community for such fun!
Mr. Kipper and I have arm-wrestled over some of the books I've received, and certain Santas have sent amazing date night packages, along with replacing things when packages were stolen.

I met a recipient for beer once, as it was the easiest way to deliver part of his present.
Redhead and FlyingCow like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: United, American, Delta
secret santa. I want in!

new.firsttime
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:31 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fayleen
new.firsttime
Hi fayleen,

Please read Santa’s first post carefully and follow the instructions. You are supposed to send information about yourself by PM (private message) to wharvey and not to post it here.

The subject line should be fayleen Secret Santa 2018.

NewbieRunner
Co-moderator, CommunityBuzz
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I am so excited about doing this again! It's my second year, so I signed up for two swaps. :-)

I must confess, we have a very small holiday celebration. Shopping for my Secret Santa recipient last year was so much fun and added a wonderful dimension to the overall experience of the holidays! Thank you, Wharvey, for doing this again!!!
Redhead likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by fayleen
new.firsttime
fayleen,

Welcome to Flyertalk.

dh
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:43 pm

I'm about to send my PM, but a couple of questions:

1) I live in Geneva (i.e. place where things are expensive!), so I worry that my person may suffer since $50 doesn't go as far here as it does in other places (though I'm okay going a bit over).

2) When do gifts usually go out (I know that this may differ between participants)? I'm generally away the last two weeks of December, but wouldn't want to change my mailing address as I bounce around traveling those two weeks. I can still get mail here, but not sure how long the post office will hold things if it is too big for the mail box.

Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:04 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
Can't wait to do this again this year!

I'm in! PM on it's way. This is year 8 or so for me (maybe 9?). Thanks again Wharvey!
Still love yours from last year! I have the book on my desk right beside me!
Redhead likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by frontenac551
I'm about to send my PM, but a couple of questions:

1) I live in Geneva (i.e. place where things are expensive!), so I worry that my person may suffer since $50 doesn't go as far here as it does in other places (though I'm okay going a bit over).

2) When do gifts usually go out (I know that this may differ between participants)? I'm generally away the last two weeks of December, but wouldn't want to change my mailing address as I bounce around traveling those two weeks. I can still get mail here, but not sure how long the post office will hold things if it is too big for the mail box.

Thanks.
You can specify if you want things to arrive the first two weeks of January for your convenience. Most people time gifts to arrive before Xmas. Some mail as soon as they get the assignment and some wait to get the gift there just before the holidays. So explain your situation in your note to Santa and he'll help communicate that to your personal Santa
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:16 am

You can specify if you want things to arrive the first two weeks of January for your convenience. Most people time gifts to arrive before Xmas. Some mail as soon as they get the assignment and some wait to get the gift there just before the holidays. So explain your situation in your note to Santa and he'll help communicate that to your personal Santa
It would be helpful to include the shipping date concerns in your initial PM to Santa. That way, your Santa(s) will see it and can time it appropriately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.