Reload this Page >

Can You Keep a Trip a Secret?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can You Keep a Trip a Secret?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2001, 2:29 pm

This is a really great idea, particularly if you're a hapless, helpless, hopeless romantic!

:-)

I agree with the earlier posts - there are many cues which have to be blocked out in order to prevent the surprise from being revealed until the crew announces the destination.

And that's if you take a direct flight - imagine changing planes. Time to start the process over again. A nice challenge!

;-)

Studley

[This message has been edited by studley (edited 09-06-2001).]
Old Sep 10, 2001, 12:14 pm

Last spring break, I wanted to surprise my wife & kids with a trip to Hawaii. That was sooooo tough to hide, but here was how it was done:

I first set my wife up by telling her we were going to Orlando, but that we were going to tell the kids we were going to Los Angeles (we live near San Francisco). That helped since packing clothes was essentially the same. When we were checking in at SFO, I had my wife pull the kids off to the side, so the kids wouldn't hear where we were actually going. Plus, my wife assumed I was telling the CSR we were going to Orlando but that it was a surprise for the kids. The CSR was great and played along, when I called my wife over so the CSR could confirm her ID. The CSR told her it was a great idea to surprise the kids. The hard part was keeping them away from the gate, because of the posting at the gate, as well as the announcements. But since I already duped my wife into thinking we were going somewhere else, she helped keep the kids occupied at the various shops. When the plane was ready to load, I ushered the family through, without much trouble (except some of the other passengers were wearing hawaiian shirts!!!). But my wife just thought it was tropical wear for Orlando. After we settled into our seats, the announcement finally came, and I pretended we were on the wrong plane, and tried to convince the kids we needed to get off. It was hilarious. My wife didn't know what to think, and my kids didn't want to leave. My youngest suggested that if we didn't say anything, we could go to Hawaii instead. Finally my wife figured out she was fooled even worse than the kids. It was great! It was the best fa,ily vacation we had ever taken.
Old Sep 10, 2001, 12:38 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
BIG SECRET: we are leaving for Warsaw tomorrow (continuing to Budapest, Vienna and Prague) and hubby still does not know where he will be going to and what he will be wearing for the next two weeks....
(he does not even know what time the flight leaves!)
what fun!

belle, the controller

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.