Wiki Posts
Search

Big Changes ???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2001, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Big Changes ???

I write this post at risk of opening a can of worms. Please, it is only a question... dump beat me up!

After being away for various reasons, I return and find not only our old friends Catman, Jon Toner, and Premex ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum95/HTML/001255.html ,) but the disappearance of a certain poster, ozstamps.

I had noticed a much less hostile tone to the boards, and realized his absence. If anyone knows what happened, I'd just like to know.

Though I never had any confrontations with him, I am glad to see this character gone, and our friends returning.

If you want to flame me, my email is [email protected]... let's keep it off of the boards.

------------------
Bob
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> In the event of a water landing, my flotation device will be the person in the seat next to me.
-- John Cleese
</font>
[This message has been edited by AZ_MISMAN (edited 07-19-2001).]
Old Jul 19, 2001, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Most assume that oz was banished, but unless you are in the loop (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum97/HTML/000330.html ), you can never be certain.
Old Jul 19, 2001, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
I myself am glad to see some of the good ole' faces back in Flyertalk. However, I must emphasize the importance of having a moderator for especially the most active forums (FT Community, The Buzz, Coupon Connections, United, Hilton, Marriott, etc.). These forums are in deep need of clean-up, a few offensive threads have to be closed, duplicate accounts be made illegalized, etc.

Many more work to be done and I understand they won't happen overnight, but I'm glad Randy took the big step towards a common purpose. Way to go, Mr. P!

Jamester
Old Jul 19, 2001, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
I guess I do not agree with the notion of discussing FT disciplinary measures in public. Oz and Catman (whom I have both met) are both very nice people in person. Perhaps your question would have been more elegantly handled by mailing Randy in private, AZ_MISMAN?

------------------
Goldlust
Old Jul 19, 2001, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPEBSQSA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Goldlust:
I guess I do not agree with the notion of discussing FT disciplinary measures in public. Oz and Catman (whom I have both met) are both very nice people in person. Perhaps your question would have been more elegantly handled by mailing Randy in private, AZ_MISMAN?

</font>
I, also, do not want to discuss disciplinary issues, and hope that this was not taken as the purpose. Oz has/had friends on this board, and I was curious to why he was no longer around.

------------------
Bob
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> In the event of a water landing, my flotation device will be the person in the seat next to me.
-- John Cleese
</font>
Old Jul 19, 2001, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
AZ,

Growing up in Brooklyn, we used to say, "That's life in the big city."

Or maybe I should put that quote into SXJ's thread.

Dan
Old Jul 19, 2001, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I too am delighted to see JonToner, PremEx and Catman return to the boards. They are all people whom I consider friends and who have added, depth, flavor, joy and understanding to my life both on line and in person over the past few years. I have missed them and their contributions very much and am delighted to see those empty seats at the table filled again by our friends.

I also very much miss Ozstamps. I have met him in real life on several occasions and he is, as my friend Goldlust has stated a very nice man. Even under very difficult circumstances, he has behaved himself in a gentlemanly fashion that is worth of commendation. It saddens me deeply that he is no longer in our midst and, to tell you the truth, I think he added a lot to the boards.

Flyer Talk is unique exactly because it is an international forum that allows us the opportunity to become very good friends with people from all over the world--people with entirely different background, values, goals and aspirations. To truly appreciate its value, we must make a vry serious effort to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and withhold judgment until we have had an opportunity to fully explore all the possibilities.

In Oz's case, I don't think that really happened. I have spent a lot of time thinking about this and reviewing all the posts and I honestly think, having done so, that he got far worse than he gave.

The thing that would give me the greatest joy would be to see FlyerTalk emotionally grow to a place where we can all rise above our differences and live together in harmony and peace.
Old Jul 19, 2001, 8:42 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does it really matter what exactly happened?

There was "hostility" both before he came and also after he left, sadly!

"...The thing that would give me the greatest joy would be to see FlyerTalk emotionally grow to a place where we can all rise above our differences and live together in harmony and peace..."

Amen!

And in a very welcome surprise that truly cheered me immensely, the vaunted james too has posted for the first time, in such a very long time! Far too long!

There are others too, who for whatever reason went "missing" and have not currently been posting. Some of these folks, I did not necessarily agree with, and some may have hassled or even tormented me [which of course Oz never did], but they too are ALL missed. For, IMHO, it is the varied INDEPENDENT thoughts/opinions, positively and respectfully expressed, that consistently gives FT the great "presence" that it has, and from which we may each draw strength and benefit immensely, both particularly in the realm of "miles and points" and generally in "life" as well!

Let's argue respectfully, if that's absolutely necessary, but let's please "talk travel" rather than post about posts and posters! Discussion(s) of miles and points and frequent travel is what FT is really all about - as we know!

Recall as a wise individual once said long ago, "the more things change, the more they remain the same!"

Some are missed more than others, of course, but inasmuch as I'm concerned, let 'em ALL return!

FT is so much more than any one person. It is a tremendous cast of remarkably diverse "characters!" And that is why FT is so much greater than the sum of all it's various parts!
Old Jul 19, 2001, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA 1.5MM & RC of an employee, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doc:

FT is so much more than any one person. It is a tremendous cast of remarkably diverse "characters!" And that is why FT is so much greater than the sum of all it's various parts! [/B]</font>

Very well said doc.

------------------
The world is a book, and for those who do not travel, read only a page.
-Saint Augustine
Old Jul 20, 2001, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I miss janejet.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by opus17:
I miss janejet.</font>
I miss Molson Miler.

Old Jul 20, 2001, 5:23 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Punki & Doc, I totally agree with you. While yes, I am very happy to see some of the original FT'ers return and I know that Oz was involved in some 'heated' discussions, I also know that he added quite a bit of information that I personally benefited from. So, if you are out there 'lurking' Oz, know that many of us miss you and your postings.
Old Jul 20, 2001, 11:16 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Decisions like the above will likely be one of the first orders of business for the newly elected TalkBoard which you'll all have a chance to be part of when open candidacy is announced this coming week. But until that board offically takes over, you know that I won't talk about members in public in the matters mentioned above. But, I hope you all have noticed that the first pf the Assists and Moderators are on board. Ah, progress?

Cheers.....
Old Jul 20, 2001, 11:38 pm
Commander Catcop

EDITED BECAUSE LURKER COMMANDER CATCOP FELT "WANDERLUSTY" PUSHED THE ENVELOPE IN DESCRIBING MY FRIEND

I miss Onefreeman who I hope pops in here from time to time.

ANd NJDavid too!

And one person who if it wasn't for Flyertalk I would not have discovered a brother, hero, favorite travel companion and best friend... wanderlust

He really added information with a fine class and maturity, spiced with his own sense of humor. All three I mentioned above really ADDED to these boards.

Wanderlust left because of the bad, negative tone Flyertalk took on, and that partly convinced me to take what turned to be a sabbatical. It was necessary

Flyertalk has gone through some really rough turbulance in recent month. But now I like the state of things right now (there are a few wars but I am sure the moderators will take care of that)

Flyertalk is flying smooth, and I hope it continues.

I'll remind my bruddar *wanderlust* to maybe consider dropping in everyone once in awhile (if only to tease me about my typo-filled posts and cheer me on!

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 08-09-2001).]
Old Jul 21, 2001, 7:11 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Catman:

...Flyertalk is flying smooth, and I hope it continues...</font>

---

Yes, Absolutely!

And yes Randy, the presence of new moderators was certainly noted, and I'm sure others will be quite happy to share their feedback!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum95/HTML/001266.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.